• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

"A cavalry charge can only succeed...
06-07-2010, 07:01 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-07-2010, 07:19 AM by Volcano Man.)
RE: "A cavalry charge can only succeed...
(06-07-2010, 06:29 AM)P.Ako Wrote:
(06-07-2010, 06:08 AM)Foul. Wrote: So if we get any east front titles, understanding the mechanics of the cavalry charge will be more important than in F14.

which in game terms it means simply that their assault value will be higher than their British and French counterparts, doesn't it?

No, not really. It just means that the map is larger in respect to the forces involved (lower unit density) and that there are more cavalry in general. The Russian cavalry on the East Front wasn't all that great actually but, as with everything, quantity is a quality of its own. But that is just all speculation -- no one knows what the next title will be. ;)
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
06-07-2010, 07:38 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-07-2010, 07:40 AM by FM WarB.)
In Game terms, with a 4x cav charge bonus, is the cav likely to get shot up before they reach the enemy?
(06-07-2010, 07:38 AM)FM WarB Wrote: In Game terms, with a 4x cav charge bonus, is the cav likely to get shot up before they reach the enemy?
Can they catch alot of setting up direct fire guns and machine gun units"
06-07-2010, 08:32 AM,
(06-07-2010, 07:38 AM)FM WarB Wrote: Can they catch alot of setting up direct fire guns and machine gun units"

If that is a question, yes, certainly they can especially if they are unsupported and keeps people from being be overtly and a-historically aggressive with them. This goes back to your other thread about why these units (Field Guns and MGs) had to have some special setup process (but not an actual "set up" status) to make them vulnerable and prevent them from being some rapid deployed death ray. :eek1:

So, how effective are/is/was cavalry in World War One? Well, it all depends on the circumstances and whether or not the enemy gives (or gave) the other side an opportunity to have a successful charge. Historically, the commanders on both sides were good enough to minimize the success of cavalry by being, well, cautious.
Send this user an email
06-07-2010, 08:54 AM,
"This goes back to your other thread about why these units (Field Guns and MGs) had to have some special setup process (but not an actual "set up" status) to make them vulnerable and prevent them from being some rapid deployed death ray." :eek1:

So what you are saying mon General, is that in effect, MGs and 75s were defensive weaponry in 1914. jonny;)
06-07-2010, 11:38 AM,
I'll have to playtest it, but I have my doubts. I'm sure the playtesters enjoyed it, but if direct fire artillery and machineguns (some, which could fire from their carts) are more vulnerable than antitank guns in PZC games, the tactical balance may make cavalry too strong.
06-07-2010, 01:02 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-07-2010, 01:43 PM by Volcano Man.)
No one said they are more vulnerable than AT guns in PzC, why don't you just wait and play it first? You can have doubts sure, and maybe you won't like it -- that is fine. However, rest assured that given the *historical* use of these units, and the gameyness that occurred in all the other methods tried (they were being used as breakthrough units), it just simply does not work any other way.

Quote:I'll have to playtest it, but I have my doubts.

Trust me, the testing group "been there done that" many times over, bought the T-shirt and finally the perfect way was found *within the limitations of a wargame*, and I don't see it changing. It isn't like the thing was thrown together yesterday. ;)

I just don't see the point of all the blind speculation.
Send this user an email
06-07-2010, 02:03 PM,
As a tester on the game, I participated both in testing the variations of the MGs and field guns, including the ability they had early on to deploy and fire away, up in the front lines, drawing defensive fire to which they are very tough to hurt - remember the game uses the "alt" style fire rules and density in the target hex is directly related to losses taken. MG units are under 100 men, and field guns are farily small and hard to hurt. So they were a good breakthrough weapon, even though historically they weren't deployed in the front lines in the attack very easily.

But MGs have a range of 2 hexes and field guns 5 normally, so they even though they have to move up in travel mode, they are hard to hurt with fire and can then deal a lot of destruction. The "feel" is right, even though as you say, WarB, they could really setup and fire quickly - but my thought is they are deployed behind the infantry, which means they get delayed as so commonly happened in the war while waiting for the infantry to move into the attack.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
06-07-2010, 02:13 PM,
I am so eager to try the game, I could not help speculate. (If I learn a bit about tactics in the game before I get my hot little hands on it, all the better.) Speculation ceases now, and back to how many bns in the 1st Rgt du marche Morracaine...

Rick
[/quote]
06-08-2010, 04:26 AM,
This is a very informative thread and thanks for all the information about cavalry. I too have ordered the game and I think I can see where the designers are coming from here. This is not PzC even though the game mechanics are the same. The commanders in 1914 had no clue as to the nature of the slaughter that was going to ensue right from the get go. There were no infiltration tactics. No one could comprehend the power of the MG and rapid fire arty with explosive shells as they formed up into skirmish lines and advanced into a hailstorm of lead. There were no breakthroughs on the western front until 1918, is that correct? No envelopments either? Even against no opposition armies marched 20k (12 miles) a day, is that correct? In PzC we are used to moving 20k in a single turn. So it isn't Napoleonics and it isn't PzC; but rather something completely different and the players who can most quickly adjust to a new system will experience the most success. Thanks for all the work. :soap: jonny
06-08-2010, 04:34 AM,
(06-08-2010, 04:26 AM)jonnymacbrown Wrote: So it isn't Napoleonics and it isn't PzC; but rather something completely different and the players who can most quickly adjust to a new system will experience the most success. Thanks for all the work. :soap: jonny

That statement is bang on! PzC players are going to have to learn a whole new way of playing (as i did), the fact that the game looks like PzC and has many of the same rules may make some players think they can use the same old tactics, i am afraid they are in for a shock and the devil is in the detail!Devil

The first time you stack 3 Battalions in a hex to make a assault against a single BEF battalion with a MG unit and you suffer 50-80 casualties per defensive shot will come as quite a shock!! :smoke: