• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Recon spotting
06-07-2010, 01:44 PM,
RE: Recon spotting
Another GREAT way to spot units in terrain like the Ardennes is to turn patrolling on. Any unit can do this and all units within two hexes will be spotted, whether they are in LOS or not. This works just as well at night.

Have used this a lot lately and I believe it is better than recon spotting in a static situation.

Very good if you have a defensive line etc or a very slow advance....
Quote this message in a reply
06-07-2010, 04:11 PM,
"Another GREAT way to spot units in terrain like the Ardennes is to turn patrolling on. Any unit can do this and all units within two hexes will be spotted, whether they are in LOS or not. This works just as well at night.
Have used this a lot lately and I believe it is better than recon spotting in a static situation.Very good if you have a defensive line etc or a very slow advance....
"
[/quote]
This is a very good tip. I never knew this feature existed. I'm in an Ardennes fight right now and could use some scouting. I'm playing Dark Winter and there's 4 night turns and the 4 day turns are all low visibility. I sure hope this works because recon spotting doesn't. :whis: jonny
06-08-2010, 12:01 AM,
Recon spotting does work, it just isn't a guaranteed spot of any units, and it only has a chance of spotting units within line of sight, meaning your recon unit needs to move to a good spotting location, but it still can't see further than the vis range and can't see through blocking terrain.

So it isn't useful in forest hexes or vis range of 1, generally, which can be a lot of the conditions in the Ardennes.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
06-08-2010, 04:06 AM,
"Recon spotting does work, it just isn't a guaranteed spot of any units, and it only has a chance of spotting units within line of sight, meaning your recon unit needs to move to a good spotting location, but it still can't see further than the vis range and can't see through blocking terrain. So it isn't useful in forest hexes or vis range of 1, generally, which can be a lot of the conditions in the Ardennes."

Ok I get the picture. I'll try patrolling in the Ardennes and save recon spotting for the desert. :whis: jonny
06-08-2010, 04:28 AM,
(06-07-2010, 01:44 PM)Strela Wrote: Another GREAT way to spot units in terrain like the Ardennes is to turn patrolling on. Any unit can do this and all units within two hexes will be spotted, whether they are in LOS or not. This works just as well at night.

Have used this a lot lately and I believe it is better than recon spotting in a static situation.

Very good if you have a defensive line etc or a very slow advance....

A very useful new feature that is believe is not being used by many players, great tip! ;)