• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

More then a Game?
06-05-2010, 07:37 AM,
RE: More then a Game?
Hi Ed,

Yeah I appreciate that Ed and I know it's not an attack on me neither.

Let me try and draw a parallel to what I'm trying to say, -

When I originally bought the talonsoft cds, I spent a long time playing against the A1. I forget how it came about but, I remember checking wargaming sites and came across Jason, he referred me to the Blitz to play pbem, a recommendation I have never regretted to this day, but, whilst I was only playing the a1, was I not entitled to raise my concerns to the maker of the game, as others do now via the Matrix Forum, unaware that a gaming website was trying to control the changes without my knowledge?
Whilst a long term member of the Blitz, I just feel post #6 is exactly akin to setting up a 'rival camp' to effectively combat, quote, '' a different breed of gamer '' ?
I just feel it's a bit of an elitist view and I tried to reflect how others' who spent the same money on the game, may justly feel about their' own comments validity. I don't see any posts on the subject trying to drum up support against the 'Blitz members' and their' suggestions in the Matrix posts?
Quote this message in a reply
06-05-2010, 08:07 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-05-2010, 08:07 AM by Scud.)
Personally I love the fact that, if I have an idea (which is rare) I can email it to Jason or post it here AND HE"LL RESPOND!! Try that with Microsoft.

Also, although I stop short of calling it elitist, what's wrong with being a proud member of the Blitz? The trick is persuading the matrix guys into becoming proud members of the Blitz as well.

My old club once openly challenged the Blitzers to a tournament and no one here accepted the challenge, but that's because my old club really was elite. :smoke:

Sad to see my old club die. Hate to see it happen here, but it could. New members are integral, so by all means, talk us up at Matrix and keep it friendly!

Dave
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
06-05-2010, 08:08 AM,
(06-05-2010, 06:44 AM)Kool Kat Wrote:
(06-05-2010, 06:10 AM)glint Wrote: Whilst bearing in mind your comments KK, I think anyone who has paid money to buy the game is entitled to their opinion on the game?

Absolutely. Every CS player has an opinion? I'm entitled to mine... just like you are entitled to yours?

Yes, but it seems a problem that,after reading your opinions, my opinions attract such a defensive stance immediately from you? I'm just trying to balance the debate.

(06-05-2010, 06:10 AM)glint Wrote: Obviously Matrix Forum is the place to do that in their' eyes.
For various reasons, many members don't contribute to the Blitz CS Forum, as it is, it's a bit unrealistic to think they'll bother to on the Matrix Forum?

Maybe? IMO, players who are interested in providing their input and suggestions for improving CS... should keep an "eye" on other players' proposed game changes... and make sure that Jason & Co. have input from Blitzers... and other CS players too.

I personally think Matrix will decide what will be done and altered regarding the game from a 'business efficiency aspect' regardless of what players of the game desire?

(06-05-2010, 06:10 AM)glint Wrote: Equally, whilst appreciating the Blitz heritage, it's a bit elitist to think we have the right to make ourselves the defining group on what happens to JTCS.

I never stated that Blitzers should be the defining group on what happens to JTCS... but we do have a right to be heard... and our input considered... just like any other group of players - correct?

Read the previous statement!

(06-05-2010, 06:10 AM)glint Wrote: Just my opinion. Personally, I have been playing this game since it originally came out, I've accepted the changes, updates along the road and got on with it and adapted accordingly. Many others have more gaming experience than I have and I bow to that, hoping they make the right decisions for the game.

That may be fine for you Peter... but for me, if I see areas that I believe could be improved in CS... I'm going to (at least) make my suggestions and input known to Jason & Co. It does not guarantee any of my suggestions will be acted upon... but at least I can say I did what I thought was best to improve CS? :chin: And like a big boy... if my suggestions are not acted upon... I have to accept that... and move on. But at least... I tried. I think the worst thing that could happen would be some "less then optimal improvement" introduced in a future CS update... and it was implimented because players did not voice an earlier objection to the idea? We are living with some of those "less then optimal decisions" in the current CS version?

Remember, all this work is done on a voluntary basis? How much timedo they have available to keep everybody happy. A problem (bug) I reported doesn't seem to have been addressed, if it isn't in the next patch, I'll still be playing the game.

(06-05-2010, 06:10 AM)glint Wrote: At the end of the day whose to say one's feelings on what should be in the game is any more important than someone else who spent their shillings on the game? Even more important, I honestly think your comments are setting up a 'them vs us' mind set ? That's not an attack by the way, just trying to balance the debate.

I don't think anyone is prioritizing their feelings over others? My comments are my own... as well as my opinions. I posted mainly for awareness... and that all CS players should be able to voice their suggestions for proposed game improvements - Blitzers and others too.

Yeah, but your post read as if you were trying to rally 'Blitzers' against the 'others' ?

(06-05-2010, 06:10 AM)glint Wrote: Like chuck said, just have fun with the tools you are handed, don't screw yourself up over a game so much?

Actually, I "smile" quite often. In fact, I'm generally a rather optimistic person. And I enjoy playing CS... thank you very much!

Hi Mike,

Anyway, last time bannings were rife, I think paraphrasing every comment in a post was frowned upon, so perhaps we should leave it there Mike?

Sorry if I still haven't mastered posting on here !
06-05-2010, 09:50 AM,
(06-05-2010, 08:07 AM)Scud Wrote: Personally I love the fact that, if I have an idea (which is rare) I can email it to Jason or post it here AND HE"LL RESPOND!! Try that with Microsoft.

Also, although I stop short of calling it elitist, what's wrong with being a proud member of the Blitz? The trick is persuading the matrix guys into becoming proud members of the Blitz as well.

My old club once openly challenged the Blitzers to a tournament and no one here accepted the challenge, but that's because my old club really was elite. :smoke:

Sad to see my old club die. Hate to see it happen here, but it could. New members are integral, so by all means, talk us up at Matrix and keep it friendly!

Dave

Yep! Guilty as charged! I am a proud Blitzer! Flag

I agree. It is refreshing to have a game manufacturer listen and respond to players' input. Big Grin

I do know that several Blitz members (me included) post to the Matrix Forums... so it does produce a nice "balance" for the discussion threads there.
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
06-05-2010, 05:23 PM,
I'm a some time poster on TheBlitz and recently got into that discussion on TheMatrixBoard regarding improving the AI. I personally played vs. AI for the same reason I snapped up one of the first computer chess games that came out. The challenge of beating "the machine". It was very difficult for the average guy to out-analyze "the machine" in a computer chess match. Sadly, it didn't take long to realize that there were too many variables in CS to expect a similar level of competition from the AI. A flank attack out of the woods against rear line artillery apparently doesn't register like knight to queen four.

But I continue to play the AI for a number of reasons. As mentioned in the TheMatrix responses...it's quick for one.

And over the years, I've noticed the amount of discussion on TheBlitz regarding cheating, with additions to the new version to reduce or combat it. Well, the AI doesn't comprehend cheating...which means I don't have to contend with that crap.

So as far as changes to the game go...yes, it'd be nice to have a stronger AI for those who play it but no, not at the expense of the overall integrity of the game.

Still gamin. Love your site. Thanks for all your work.
06-05-2010, 08:35 PM,
(06-05-2010, 05:23 PM)lgsptlnd Wrote: I'm a some time poster on TheBlitz and recently got into that discussion on TheMatrixBoard regarding improving the AI. I personally played vs. AI for the same reason I snapped up one of the first computer chess games that came out. The challenge of beating "the machine". It was very difficult for the average guy to out-analyze "the machine" in a computer chess match. Sadly, it didn't take long to realize that there were too many variables in CS to expect a similar level of competition from the AI. A flank attack out of the woods against rear line artillery apparently doesn't register like knight to queen four.

But I continue to play the AI for a number of reasons. As mentioned in the TheMatrix responses...it's quick for one.

And over the years, I've noticed the amount of discussion on TheBlitz regarding cheating, with additions to the new version to reduce or combat it. Well, the AI doesn't comprehend cheating...which means I don't have to contend with that crap.

So as far as changes to the game go...yes, it'd be nice to have a stronger AI for those who play it but no, not at the expense of the overall integrity of the game.

Still gamin. Love your site. Thanks for all your work.

Hey Lin: :smoke:

I think it is safe to state that ALL CS players would like to see an improved AI! :eek1:

Currently... HAL acts like it has had a frontal lobotomy... HQs blindly wandering the battlefield... leaders "marking time" by moving back and forth between adjacent hexes... popping smoke and using up air strikes in the first turns of a game... converging on victory hexes and forsaking front line defense... etc.

An improved AI would be an asset to CS! Players versus AI would experience improved (and more fun?) game play in both the stand alone scenarios and linked campaigns... scenario designers could more effectively "test" their designs... and CS would become a more commercially marketable software product for new players.

And yes, in between waiting on a PBeM turn to arrive in my email inbox... I'll sometimes fire up a scenario and play a few turns versus HAL. Unfortunately, it quickly becomes apparent why I much prefer H2H versus AI play! :whis:

And you bring up a good point about cheating. Unless the AI is programmed to "cheat" ... which sometimes happens when the AI can be adjusted from "normal" to a "difficult" setting... the odds are moved to favor HAL in a "difficult" setting... a player does not have to worry about the AI pulling a "fast one" over on a player.

Hopefully, when HAL gets that scheduled "brain transplant"... most likely in 1-2 years based on what I have read on the Matrix Forums... we can enjoy a much better experience against the AI. :smoke:
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
06-05-2010, 11:10 PM,
(06-05-2010, 05:23 PM)lgsptlnd Wrote: I'm a some time poster on TheBlitz and recently got into that discussion on TheMatrixBoard regarding improving the AI. I personally played vs. AI for the same reason I snapped up one of the first computer chess games that came out. The challenge of beating "the machine". It was very difficult for the average guy to out-analyze "the machine" in a computer chess match. Sadly, it didn't take long to realize that there were too many variables in CS to expect a similar level of competition from the AI. A flank attack out of the woods against rear line artillery apparently doesn't register like knight to queen four.

The AI in CS is moronic at best. Once you learn how to "draw the AI's units out" to make them go where you want them to go it becomes an exercise in boredom. As Mike stated, watching AI leaders move back and forth or have it's HQ move in the open to get to a victory hex that had been captured (and you would capture it on purpose to make it do that) takes away from the challenge. Then watching trucks move about like bumper cars becomes tedious.

(06-05-2010, 05:23 PM)lgsptlnd Wrote: But I continue to play the AI for a number of reasons. As mentioned in the TheMatrix responses...it's quick for one.

Yup!

(06-05-2010, 05:23 PM)lgsptlnd Wrote: And over the years, I've noticed the amount of discussion on TheBlitz regarding cheating, with additions to the new version to reduce or combat it. Well, the AI doesn't comprehend cheating...which means I don't have to contend with that crap.

Cheating is few and far between. And, the AI "cheats" like mad too! ;)

(06-05-2010, 05:23 PM)lgsptlnd Wrote: So as far as changes to the game go...yes, it'd be nice to have a stronger AI for those who play it but no, not at the expense of the overall integrity of the game.

If you want an immediate "stronger AI" that will not change the entire game, select the EA on option? The AI was never good at overruns and it will make it harder for the player?

cheers

HSL
06-06-2010, 03:59 AM,
Quote:I'm a some time poster on TheBlitz...

Hi Len,

I understand your reasons for playing the AI and nothing at all wrong with that. Still, you're missing out on what is the real beauty of the game by not participating against live opponents. I too love chess and have an electronic version as well. Even though computer chess is near perfect as opposed to CS, I suspect you'll agree chess is still more fun against a human opponent. Especially with a cognac and a game on the TV.

If it's cheating that worries you, I can recommend several opponents, including the posters on this thread, who you can trust to play by the rules. If someone challenges you, take a chance. I can almost guarantee whoever you decide to go with will be an honest player 99% of the time. Reputation is everything here, not winners or losers.

So how about it, give it a shot?

Lastly, I'd love to see you post more often. We need more guys talking it up and sharing opinions.

Thanks,
Dave
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
06-07-2010, 11:14 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-07-2010, 11:15 PM by Kool Kat.)
(06-06-2010, 03:59 AM)Scud Wrote:
Quote:I'm a some time poster on TheBlitz...

Still, you're missing out on what is the real beauty of the game by not participating against live opponents.

Lastly, I'd love to see you post more often. We need more guys talking it up and sharing opinions.

Thanks,
Dave

I agree. The only way to "maximize" your enjoyment of CS is to play against other players... H2H play. When CS first came out over 12 years ago... the AI was pretty rudimentary... and unfortunately has not been over hauled to date. I can almost promise you that once you play against another human player... you will NOT go back to playing against the AI! :eek1:

And I also echo Dave's sentiment... the Blitz needs more folks... especially "new" players... to "chat it up" here on the Forums. It's a great bunch of folks here at the Blitz... even when the debates get a little "lively." I learn a lot from other players' posts! :smoke:
Send this user an email
06-08-2010, 11:55 AM,
I used to exclusively play vs AI.
Yesterday, I have started soliciting games in The Blitz.
Looking forward to a good experience.
Send this user an email