• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Any known issues with the VM alt scenarios?
06-03-2010, 12:58 AM,
Any known issues with the VM alt scenarios?
Hey guys, just wanted to get some feedback on an issue I'm having. I'm running Vista and having an issue I never had back in the XP days - the VM alt scenarios will not load up. It's giving me an error message saying that the scenario file couldn't be read. My games are fully up to date on patches and the artwork is all working just fine, it seems that just the scenario files are giving me an issue. Anyone with experience dealing with a similar problem?
Quote this message in a reply
06-03-2010, 01:17 AM,
RE: Any known issues with the VM alt scenarios?
I think it may be a Vista setup issue vs where you are putting some other parts, but that is a guess - I had that problem with patches early on. When I went to Vista the games were migrated to Program files x386 or something similar, rather than Program Files. As a result, when I patched, the patch went to Program Files and while I thought I was patched up, I wasn't - took me a couple of tries to figure this out.

So I would suggest you make sure everything you are doing to the games is to one location - I believe there is an About button in the game menu to tell you what version you are running for example, so make sure that is a match to the latest patch version.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
06-03-2010, 01:24 AM,
Alright, it's fixed. Basically, I had to uninstall and reinstall to a folder outside of program files, which apparently doesn't work too well in Vista. All is good.
06-04-2010, 04:45 AM,
(06-03-2010, 01:17 AM)Ricky B Wrote: I think it may be a Vista setup issue vs where you are putting some other parts, but that is a guess - I had that problem with patches early on. When I went to Vista the games were migrated to Program files x386 or something similar, rather than Program Files. As a result, when I patched, the patch went to Program Files and while I thought I was patched up, I wasn't - took me a couple of tries to figure this out.

So I would suggest you make sure everything you are doing to the games is to one location - I believe there is an About button in the game menu to tell you what version you are running for example, so make sure that is a match to the latest patch version.

Rick

It also helps to turn off UAC while installing games. This keeps Vista from constantly asking "do you really want to do this".

The about button can be found under the Help section of each game's toolbar.
.."A critical oversight that has led to yet another mouthful of poo." . Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe