• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Removing units from the map
05-31-2010, 12:11 AM,
Removing units from the map
Hi!

Once there was a discussion about removing units from the map. Maybe good idea would be adding optional rule that will allow that but only by Exit Objective Hex when on, or each removed unit by non-Exit Objective Hex will give to opponent some VP let’s say 1/3 of points that that unit is worth when off?

And is it possible to add to options “skip empty trucks/transports” while pressing cycle to the next unit button?
Quote this message in a reply
05-31-2010, 07:52 AM,
RE: Removing units from the map
I have always made an agreement with my opponent about removing transports before the game begins.

My "Bite the Bullet" tournament allows for the removal of transports by rule while I am in another tournament where removal is forbidden.

I really like your "skip empty transports" option. I just refuse to cycle through 100+ trucks every turn in very large scenarios.

Previous discussions seem to favor removal by agreement. Those in favor argue that empty trucks wouldn't hang around a battle field, but be moved to off-map locations to reload.

I have played some scenarios where transportable units appear as reinforcements without transport and one might wish to use the transports they do have to load these units.

Just make an agreement with your opponent in advance and there should be no problem or hard feelings.

Pat

Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

05-31-2010, 08:08 PM,
I Think charging an opponent any points for removal of trucks is wrong. He is only limited how far he can retreat them by the size of the map. I never look for transport for the VP score, they wern't in the front lines so why penalize a guy for doing all he can to keep an opponent from getting easy pts if he chooses to look for trucks.

Now the skip empty truck or transporation option rule gets a vote from me. I'm play testing the Normandy 44 scn there is A LOT of empty troop transport boats in the water.

Chuck[/size]
06-01-2010, 02:38 AM,
One sometimes runs into unloaded transports while maneuvering and that's just like finding a $20 bill on the sidewalk. I, for one, do not walk with my head down while looking for $20 bills, but I can't say it is unsportsmanlike to send fast moving units on scouting missions deep inside enemy territory in search of unprotected transports, ammo or fuel dumps (if we had them).

However, in small scenarios, I can't imagine why a commander would keep unloaded and unneeded transports on the frontline?

Pat

Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

06-02-2010, 02:50 AM,
Hmmmm.... I think everyone should be able to exit empty transport from the map if you wish to do so, and if you exit them to the "rear" of your positions. I prefer to play these games with as little "game" feeling to them as possible. Artificially forcing someone to keep unused, unwanted transports (particularly on a tiny map) is just silly to me. If you want to keep them to use them later, or to transport reinforcements, etc..., feel free. If you want to get rid of them, feel free. In reality your transport was ABSOLUTELY vital. Once you lose that, you walk the rest of the way, maybe for months. You can't move supplies, you can't displace guns, you can't keep up with the rest of the unit if it is motorized. Anyway, that's my two cents.

LR
If you run, you'll only die tired.

One hand on the wheel, and one in the flame,
One foot on the gas, and one in the grave.
06-02-2010, 03:17 AM,
(05-31-2010, 07:52 AM)Montana Grizz Wrote: I have always made an agreement with my opponent about removing transports before the game begins.

Just make an agreement with your opponent in advance and there should be no problem or hard feelings.

Pat

Pat:

This is exactly how I conduct my CS games... allow empty transport to be removed from the map.

IMO, it is silly to play "hide-a-truck" in your backfield... especially when you have no more need for transport.

And yes... always communicate with your opponent before game play begins on any ROEs.
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
06-02-2010, 04:51 AM,
About removing units from map I was thinking overal not only about transport. But You have right about to feel free to remove empty trucks. But combat units...?
06-02-2010, 04:56 AM,
I would say that if the enemy begins to remove combat units in large numbers they should probably concede the game. If you want to do it, I think it woudl be okay unless the only way for the other side to win is attriting the enemy. I'd take a look at the goals and such for the scenario and discuss whether that is going to be an allowable option.

LR
If you run, you'll only die tired.

One hand on the wheel, and one in the flame,
One foot on the gas, and one in the grave.
06-02-2010, 05:38 AM,
Interesting discussion guys!
I'd agree that the removal of transport is down to the player, I'd never take on a player that insisted transport units cannot be removed from the map.
As for combat units, I was playing a large scale game, (Army size) where, in one location on the edge of the map, I was surrounded, after attempting to escape the pocket. In all fairness, I could have exited the units from the map and saved some points. In reality, where there were units still trying to cover the retreating units, I kept their inherent hqs on map, only when the units were wiped out would I consider removing the hqs from the map, albeit I tried to retreat them first.
However, if an opponent decided to remove units that were considered lost to the battle, that would not concern me in the slightest, seems sensible to me and not in the slightest 'gamey'.
Just my opinion.
06-02-2010, 05:55 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-02-2010, 06:05 AM by Troll.)
Why leave a unit on the map that you no longer need? Why give the other player an easy kill like a truck? Remove them if you do not need them any more. As far as combat units if there is no good reason to leave a badly disrupted unit on the map for an easy kill, or if your are sure units will be surrounded and annihilated, head for the hills and get off the map :) You should give the other player as little free rides as possible.

Joe