• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

First World War Campaigns: FRANCE 1914
05-31-2010, 01:13 AM,
RE: First World War Campaigns: FRANCE 1914
I understand why there will be no oob editor but cannot say I'm happy about it. It will be interesting to see how the oob is done.

Attachment/reattachment being only possible at one level, Corps to Armies seems the most appropriate for 1914. Joffre did move around some divisions and brigades as he formed the 6th and 9th armies, however. Did the attachment/reattachment model seem adequate to simulate what happened historically?

I'm glad I've been reading up on WW1 and the 1914 campaign recently.
Quote this message in a reply
06-02-2010, 01:52 AM,
(05-31-2010, 12:25 AM)Volcano Man Wrote:
(05-30-2010, 07:44 AM)P.Ako Wrote: So.. does it means that the OOB will be modable?

Well, if you had to ask then you probably suspect that there isn't an OOB editor for quite obvious reasons, and the answer is no, unfortunately there is no OOB editor in this series. However there is a scenario editor and all the ORBATs can be read externally in their own .pdf documents (three of them) along with planning maps, stragetic maps and things like that.

The reason for this, as mentioned, should be quite obvious. We have the entire map of France available, or at least the most important parts of it anyway, and allowing an OOB editor would simply allow anyone to make their own France '15-18 games. While it might seem like a good thing to allow that, the amount of work spent creating this new series and its unique rules, which was about four years in case anyone wants to know, means that the investment has to be protected (at least until the last campaign is covered, at which point there might be a OOB editor made available). I hope everyone understands.

A pity then...

I wonder.. how many title of WW1 do you guys plan to make? Many of them in France, some others in the East Front, others in Middle East, others in Greece/Serbia, other one in North Italy (the mountain warfare should be improved for that one) and perhaps one in African colonies?
06-02-2010, 05:06 AM,
What is the hex size in this series, 1 km?
06-02-2010, 06:33 AM,
(06-02-2010, 05:06 AM)Nitram Draw Wrote: What is the hex size in this series, 1 km?

Yes.
06-02-2010, 08:28 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-02-2010, 08:37 AM by Volcano Man.)
In regards to the OOB editor, one more thing to say to hopefully clear up the matter (since I might have made it seem like there would not be one in future titles until the whole series is concluded):

FWIW, I did not mean to imply that there would NEVER be an OOB editor in the whole series before the last title is covered -- just that there isn't one for THIS title nor for future West Front titles until the last title *on the Western Front* is published (since the OOB is locked in them for the reasons I described above). I know it isn't popular, but it just doesn't make much sense from a development point of view.

In regards to *non Western Front* titles in the series, those future titles that cover places where this is not an issue *might* have an OOB editor included in them to allow people to do whatever they want, but that will be taken on a case by case basis. I just don't want to give the impression that there will NEVER be an OOB editor available in this series.

That is about all I will say about that; this is something that will be determined as the series progresses and it is pointless to speculate about it at this point as there could be technical issues that only John is aware of. Again, it will not be a popular decision with some out there but hopefully the more rational amongst us out there will understand the reason for this decision. :)
Send this user an email
06-03-2010, 03:54 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-03-2010, 03:57 AM by FM WarB.)
On the West Front, of interest to me might be Cambrai and Ludendorf/Arrival of Americans in 1918. Blood baths like the Somme, Verdun, Chemin des Dammes etc I think I'll avoid. 1914, when things are still mobile east and west, is the most interesting, though anglophobes might enjoy Gallipoli...LoL
But a thought: If there are no tanks or poison gas allowable in France 14, how could one with a scenario AND oob editor make late war scenarios?
06-03-2010, 08:14 AM,
It sure would be interesting to see a Polish-Soviet War and a Russian Civil War title under this new series.
06-03-2010, 10:18 AM,
Boer War?