• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Question about IronX mods
07-27-2010, 11:34 AM,
Question about IronX mods
Hi everyone,

I bought Squad Battles Vietnam for a good friend of mine for a birthday present. My friend is not very PC savvy so I installed Vietnam and installed the lastest patch. Checked to make sure the game was working and first scenario loaded up just fine.

Next I installed the Red Star over Europe mod, mod appeared to install fine and we started up a scenario and everything looked good the first few moves so we shut the game down and went back the birthday party.

Today my friend called me and said he is having some problems with the mod, 1) Squad Battles Vietnam will no longer start, he gets an error message and 2) RSoE mod plays but has some wierd objective descriptions like United States, United States, North Vietnam. My friend said it looks like some of the objectives have both the Vietnam objectives listed and the RSOE listed.

My question is, should you still be able to play both games? I thought you would be able to but my friend thinks RSoE completely overwrote Vietnam.

Also, if it was installed correctly, are the objectives with both Vietnam and RSOE descriptions just a bug that hasnt been addressed?

Perhaps I made some error in the installation?

Thanks
John
Quote this message in a reply
07-27-2010, 04:15 PM,
RE: Question about IronX mods
When creating a complete conversion mod, you should copy the whole game directory and rename it... then dump all the mod files there. The original Vietnam directory should be left untouched so that you can still play Vietnam as normal.

The mods take the the country folder structure of the original game. So factions are still US and Vietnam.
Send this user an email
07-27-2010, 10:52 PM,
The way I typically do the mod installs would be to make a copy of the Vietnam folder. (right click copy, then right click paste right into the HPS main folder). Install the RSoE mod, then rename the 'copy of Vietnam' to Vietnam and you'll have both games ready to go.

The initial dialog box should say "Allied" and "Communist" when you're picking a side. It's the reason Andrew chose VN for this mod. Makes it easier to know which side you're getting when you chose. The objectives don't say anything on them, they just change color based on who occupies them based on what I'm seeing right now.

As for your friend's situation, you should just uninstall RSoE and Vietnam using the Windows Add or Remove Programs and start over. Patch VN to 1.06 and do what I listed above. Something is clearly wrong there.

Let me know if that works.
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
07-28-2010, 05:16 AM,
Thanks guys,

I will do as above, but since I start vacation Friday, I won't be able to get over to my friend's house again for a few weeks.

At least I know what to do now, easy peasy!