• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Engine improvements with Greek Wars
05-13-2010, 05:19 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-13-2010, 05:20 AM by Al Amos.)
Engine improvements with Greek Wars
Greek Wars
Version 1.00 Improvements
13/02/10

Battle Engine
Added – Legendary Leaders can now be highlighted using the ‘L’ key.
Added – Option of loss of morale if loss of wagons occurs – Option given at start of scenario only.
Added – New missile weapon – Lead-shot Sling. Used by the Rhodian and Balearic slingers for added range and penetration of armour.
Added – Training camp map added to the maps available with the game. This map is referred to in the Scenario Editor.
Adjusted – Loss of Commander unit now has a major impact on morale and extra victory points scored by the other side.
Adjusted – Command & Control – Mediocre and Experienced commanders can only place instructions on units in the same group. Legendary commanders can place orders on all units.
Adjusted – Cantabrian Circle – A unit in Cantabrian Circle can now move at ½ pace. Cavalry unit in Cantabrian circle now allowed to skirmish.
Adjusted – Skirmishing –
If a unit is in skirmishing mode and an enemy unit moves adjacent to it then -
LI and LCh can always escape from all but LC
LMI can escape from all but LI and LC
LHI can escape from all but LI, LC and MC
If a unit is in skirmishing mode and it moves adjacent to an enemy unit then –
The unit must have sufficient movement points to move to the next clear hex.
Adjusted – Uncontrolled Advance – ‘U’ – units now move on nearest enemy quicker.
Regular Elite and Veteran units no longer go in to ‘U’ and the likelihood for Irregular Fanatics and Bodyguard troops is reduced. No change for Experienced troops and the others. Regular LI no longer go in to ‘U’.
Adjusted – Bow effectiveness modified.
Adjusted – All missile armed LC except for militia units can form the cantabrian circle.
Adjusted – Leaders not released now allowed to have active command range to place commands on units in range.
Adjusted – AI computer player modified for Persian infantry with bow – stand back and shoot as priority.
Adjusted – AI Computer player modified for LMI – skirmish if with missiles.
Adjusted – ‘Disruption Recovery’ for a unit improved by +1 if friendly leader within 5 hexes.
Adjusted – HC/EHC given additional +1 bonus when charging in.
Adjusted – MC/HC no longer restricted to 15 action points when in contact with enemy unit but given full movement allowance to give option to disengage the enemy.
Adjusted – Mounted Leaders only move in fourth quarter of the action phase but move their full allowance. This is designed to stop Leaders moving ahead in Group Movement.
Adjusted – LI – no cost to change direction.
Adjusted – Elephants not allowed to recover fatigue – this simulates they were only used once in a battle.
Adjusted – Elephants in combat made more effective except against LI.
Adjusted – Reduced likelihood of elephant being killed by mahout when in rout.
Adjusted – ‘Slow’ option provided on ‘Speed of Action’ slows down the action further.
Adjusted – ‘Next Unit to Move’ option cycles through all units with action points remaining and loops back to the first unit once all have been considered. Modified to stop the loop and generate dialog box ‘All units have been considered’.
Adjusted – The automatic re-combine function that occurs at the start of each player turn is now only automatic for the computer AI player. Players can still manually re-combine but it is now only an option not automatic.
Adjusted – Rules Manual updated.
Adjusted – Legendary leaders now allowed to place orders on any unit on the same side and not just those of the same nationality.
Editor –
Added – New option – to create a copy (clone) unit on the map. Once you have set the unit features on the first unit you can create a group of the same using the keyboard ‘T’ key.
Al Amos
Start with God - the first step in learning is bowing down to God; only fools thumb their noses at such wisdom and learning. - Proverbs 1:7 The Message
Quote this message in a reply
05-16-2010, 01:59 PM,
RE: Engine improvements with Greek Wars
(05-13-2010, 05:19 AM)Al Amos Wrote: Greek Wars
Version 1.00 Improvements
13/02/10

Battle Engine
Added – New missile weapon – Lead-shot Sling. Used by the Rhodian and Balearic slingers for added range and penetration of armour.

Ok, I do not know much about this. Would this be multiple small round shot like a mini shotgun? Or more like a low velocity .50 caliber musket ball?

Must have been nasty to be on the receiving end of this considering the missile speed they could achieve with those slings.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
05-16-2010, 11:05 PM,
Still singleshot I believe.
Al Amos
Start with God - the first step in learning is bowing down to God; only fools thumb their noses at such wisdom and learning. - Proverbs 1:7 The Message
05-18-2010, 05:54 AM,
Yes, I understand it is a sling shot. Just wondering about the pay load. Was it a single lead ball or several smaller ones? I did not know lead balls were ever used. Thought stones were the projectile of choice. Metal was hard to come by in those days.

Dog Soldier
- Wyatt Earp
05-18-2010, 08:25 AM,
Dog Soldier,

I think you misread my post. I wrote "single shot", not "slingshot", although I did make single shot one word, sorry. hehehe...

al
Al Amos
05-19-2010, 11:25 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-19-2010, 11:26 AM by Dog Soldier.)
Rubbing my glasses with a clean cloth....:conf: ...and my face for egg.

Dog Soldier
- Wyatt Earp
05-25-2010, 02:34 AM,
I haven't played any of the Ancient Wars games before, so please forgive a newbie question:

Is it possible to play "Greek Wars" without using the keyboard, or at least without using it very often? For disability reasons, I play on a tablet PC, where my interface is largely limited to mouse clicks and mouse movements.

Many thanks for your help!
05-25-2010, 09:15 PM,
Yes, if you have a mouse you can play it very easily. When creating scenarios I use the keypad, but when playing I use the mouse, almost exclusively.
Al Amos
05-25-2010, 10:11 PM,
Thanks for the info! I look forward to playing this one.