• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Disapperaing Helicopters
04-27-2010, 12:13 PM,
Disapperaing Helicopters
I am playing SB Vietnam and my helicopters are disappearing. They are not being shot down. They are just disappearing.

Is this a bug? What is the cause?
Quote this message in a reply
04-27-2010, 03:54 PM,
RE: Disapperaing Helicopters
(04-27-2010, 12:13 PM)Red Bird Wrote: I am playing SB Vietnam and my helicopters are disappearing. They are not being shot down. They are just disappearing.

Is this a bug? What is the cause?

There probably withdrawal rules for that particular scenario which means birds will automatically disappear at turn set by the designer
244 games with legend that is Richie61
04-27-2010, 05:16 PM,
Laz is right. Designer tries to simulate the limited fuel by withdrawals. Same is in SAW too.
04-27-2010, 07:53 PM,
I got caught in SAW with the same thing. Withdrawal rules that I didn't pick up in the intro.
04-27-2010, 11:08 PM,
It's worse if you aren't paying attention and forget to off-load troops before the withdrawal!
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
04-28-2010, 01:15 PM,
I have had that happen trying to drop behind enemy lines and press next turn and 6 helicopters full of troops gone :(
04-29-2010, 01:35 AM,
You should get a warning at the start of the scenario in a dialog box "This Scenario Has Withdrawals". Achtung baby.

Can't remember if you get that every turn. (Maybe that is a feature to add - or at least a flash on the turn they are due.)

You can also check in the reinforcement/withdrawal dialog. (And there you can see if the withdrawal is random.) I used random withdrawals in the House to House expansion to reflect the uncertainty of assets at your disposal. Gunships were in demand all over the place and if you don't use them, you might lose them.

For the big air transports, I think that was a way of preventing them from being used ahistorically - dropping troops off, then hiding and popping up as a scout, etc.