• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Let it Snow!
04-24-2010, 12:25 PM,
RE: Let it Snow!
Well that's the point Pat. With only a little over one hundred years of record keeping on weather how do the jackoffs spouting global warming really know what's going on in the world? They can't get a five day forcast right let alone next day forcasts. :rolleyes:
The world will keep spinning and the weather will change regardless of what the so called educated elite think they know.
When the UN building in NYC has water going through it's second story windows I might believe in global warming. ;)
War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want.William Tecumseh Sherman
Quote this message in a reply
04-24-2010, 12:46 PM,
(04-24-2010, 12:25 PM)tide1 Wrote: They can't get a five day forcast right let alone next day forcasts.

Ahhh, the segue... Eisenhower's weatherman, James Stagg, invented the 5-day forecast for the D-Day invasion. This, of course, has nothing to do, whatsoever, with the discussion at hand, but since I know this and don't know a thing about global warming, I thought I'd mention it. Believe it or not, I actually read the guy's book. Me and his wife.

Now, what's this about snow?

Dave
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
04-24-2010, 03:07 PM,
I went through Julian once on the way to El Centro. Always wanted to go back in apple season for pie. Never did.
04-24-2010, 09:39 PM,
(04-24-2010, 04:47 AM)Larry Reese Wrote: Just for the sake of accuracy.

As and old hand with statistics, I got to beg the question: "How can models be reliable if the data is "false"?"
Each late GW model is run off the early data that was erroneous or made up from whole clothe to fit the projections. Add to that the false figures that were plugged in and the wild speculations of up to 30 degree changes, that were used to send "chills" throughout the world, got laughably explained away.

If you imply that talk radio and some TV are giving false information wouldn't it be just as easy to accept the proven falsehoods in the GW theory based on their use of wrong data? ie using August temperatures to represent September and September temperatures for October. That would surely increase the model of temperatures rising? :chin:

And, as an old friend use to tell me, "follow the money trail". If you do you could be surprised?

But, for the sake of clarity, I will admit I believe that a lot of the old "Reds" are deeply entrenched in the "green" movement. Just like watermelon. :)

cheers

HSL
04-25-2010, 12:46 AM,
(04-24-2010, 09:39 PM)Herr Straßen Läufer Wrote:
(04-24-2010, 04:47 AM)Larry Reese Wrote: Just for the sake of accuracy.

As and old hand with statistics, I got to beg the question: "How can models be reliable if the data is "false"?"
Each late GW model is run off the early data that was erroneous or made up from whole clothe to fit the projections. Add to that the false figures that were plugged in and the wild speculations of up to 30 degree changes, that were used to send "chills" throughout the world, got laughably explained away.

If you imply that talk radio and some TV are giving false information wouldn't it be just as easy to accept the proven falsehoods in the GW theory based on their use of wrong data? ie using August temperatures to represent September and September temperatures for October. That would surely increase the model of temperatures rising? :chin:

And, as an old friend use to tell me, "follow the money trail". If you do you could be surprised?

But, for the sake of clarity, I will admit I believe that a lot of the old "Reds" are deeply entrenched in the "green" movement. Just like watermelon. :)

cheers

HSL

Could not of said it better myself Ed cheers
War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want.William Tecumseh Sherman
04-25-2010, 01:39 AM,
Mmm, I like Watermelon... Yummy...

Oh the good old days at Fort Drum... I arrived in December and it was 40F and I thought this ain't so bad... then the first weekend the heavens opened up leaving my Explorer a slight bump in the parking lot and temperatures dropping to -60F. BRRR... I remember one 24 hour period we got 44" of snow... It would have been the most in the country that day, except Buffalo got 46"... I eventually left Fort Drum through a white out snow storm from Adams to Syracuse... Once past Syracuse, it was blue sky and beautiful...

Also, nice story about Ike's weatherman...

As to Global Warming, I tend to discount it as hype because I remember growing up with the doom and gloom of global cooling... New York was going to be under several hundred feet of glacier ice... With all the revelations lately, I'm even more of a skeptic... GW may be true, but nobody has been able to make the case and without the data fudging... and then there is Al Gore as the GW spokesman... that slimey politician that created the "internet" promoting it for personal gain just absolutely puts me in full skeptic mode...

Oh well, the snow was gone here by the afternoon... however, the mountain behind us looks real good wrapped in clouds and snow...

Regards,

Jim vK
04-25-2010, 11:55 AM,
Hey Jim I was stationed at Ft. Drum, but being from cleveland it wasn't unexpected. Most people who end up there, yes end up there are amazed at the snow fall. Other than the snow its a real nice post to be at

Chuck
04-25-2010, 05:58 PM,
JvK said
"Oh the good old days at Fort Drum... I arrived in December and it was 40F and I thought this ain't so bad... then the first weekend the heavens opened up leaving my Explorer a slight bump in the parking lot and temperatures dropping to -60F. BRRR... I remember one 24 hour period we got 44" of snow... It would have been the most in the country that day, except Buffalo got 46"... I eventually left Fort Drum through a white out snow storm from Adams to Syracuse... Once past Syracuse, it was blue sky and beautiful.."

Very strange. I've steamed past Fort Drum a few times, but not since the '80s. I certainly can't recall it being down to -60.....C OR F. More like 30s C, just like usually is around Maniila Bay,or the rest of the Philippines, for that matter. Can't say I remember seeing any snow there....Nearest is probably Mt Fuji.
04-25-2010, 11:20 PM,
Chuck,

When I arrived at Drum, I had my 4x4 because I knew I needed to be prepared. However, I hadn't seen that amount of snow until I was at Drum. That lake effect snow can really power up the snowfall. Our first place had a beautiful view of the Black river, but overall I was too busy doing Army things. We also had a "microburst" while I was there. It's like a tornado except the wind is vertical instead of horizontal. We had trees and tree limbs down everywhere and were without power for a week. We deployed generators to assist the dairy farmers run their milking machines. Oh I have so many Fort Drum stories. I found out later one of my buddies was in the field the day the big snow storm hit. It was so bad, they had to abandon the vehicles and ruck in. I bet that really sucked.

Rod,

It would appear you went by in the summer time. You were lucky, because Drum can get downright nasty on occasion (December through February). I just remember the morning Physical Training. Snow Shoe PT, cross country ski PT, and my favorite 4 mile run on a foot and a half of ice. When I was there the policy was no outdoor PT if the temperature was -40F or below. Well, we are running 3 miles at -38F AND we're the only chuckleheads outside. You have to breathe through the balaclava and you can't close your eyes or your eyelashes freeze together. As for Mount Fuji, I climbed it when I was stationed there, but it definitely wasn't winter.

All I can say now, is I like Arizona. Even with it's little bit of snow it won't be -60F. We're just a few feet below a mile high on base so it will get a little bad weather, but there is definitely no lake effect.

Take care,

Jim
04-25-2010, 11:31 PM,
And you can carry a gun at your side and nobody cares.