• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Scoring
04-21-2010, 02:51 AM,
RE: Scoring
(04-20-2010, 10:57 AM)Walrus Wrote: There are so many ways of playing a PBEM...not just ME vs Ass / Adv etc.
It is up to the players how they want to score a battle...no-one actually cares how the end result for the ladder is arrived at, just as long as both players agree with the posted result.
It is possible to just have an agreement on a result without referencing Weasel's system at all.

Yes, and I strongly recommend using creativity to invent your own fantasy scoring systems for PBEM battles. Here's one example from a battle I fought a couple of years ago: Israel vs. Hezbollah (check the hyperlink...).

The Objectives and Points:

The winner is decided by points that both sides will be awarded based on their success on several different objectives. They are as follows:
Holding the Israeli dead (VL) after turn 11: 30pts
Destroying a Katyusha rocket launcher(*): 10pts each for the Israelis
Firing Katyusha missiles: 2pts for each missile for the Hizbollah
Killing an Israeli soldier: 1pts for the Hizbollah
Destroying an Israeli helicopter or fighter- or bomber aircraft: 10pts for the Hizbollah
Destroying an Israeli tank: 5pts for the Hizbollah
Destroying an Israeli APC, IFV or arty unit: 2pts for the Hizbollah
Killing a Hizbollah fighter: 1,5pts for the Israelis
Killing a civilian: 2pts minus for the Israelis
Killing a UN observer: 10pts minus for the Israelis
Every Hizbollah fighter who is alive after the battle: 0,1pts for the Hizbollah
*If the crew has abandoned the launcher, it's considered destroyed and if the crew has bailed out of the launcher it's enough to bring any kind of Israeli unit to the same hex as the launcher to get the 10pts.

The Result:

These points will be counted after the battle and the winner is measured as follows (of the total sum of the points awarded to both sides):
>80%: Overwhelming Victory, <20%: Overwhelming loss
>70%: Decisive Victory, <30%: Decisive Loss
>60%: Medium Victory, <40%: Medium Loss
>55%: Minor Victory, <45%: Minor Loss
45%-55%: Draw
Quote this message in a reply
04-21-2010, 07:35 AM,
Cross

FORDS system is nice & simple like it, make sure you hang onto those last 6 flags at all costs.
04-23-2010, 09:07 PM,
I have used both points and VHs to score games (mostly in the ET tourney) and that mixed with the various game combinations (ass/def, ME etc) leads me to conclusion that while loose systems of scoring will always work (ie X number of VHs) a question that players should often ask is...

How realistic is the battle I want to play?

If players want to have a even playing field then a simple system works fine but like many of the game scenarios there are many different ways to achieve victory and there is a need to match time, space and forces to produce a win not just attrition or ground lost.

In these cases I doubt there is no one system for deciding wins or losses and while the weasel system does a great job, a battle based on historical situations may not want or need a straight forward scoring system.

Just my two cents...Big Grin
Bis peccare in bello no licet - One cannot blunder twice in war.