• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Trucks and Transports
04-11-2010, 12:10 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-12-2010, 01:08 AM by Cole.)
RE: Trucks and Transports
For a Russian player the best use of trucks, after depositing their infantry close to the front, is to race back and pick up some artillery to move it quickly forward. The Russian artillery tractors aren't the fastest means to move those 203 and 152 mm guns.
Quote this message in a reply
04-11-2010, 01:08 PM,
These are all good thoughts, and certainly remind one of ploys used by you people in gameplay. Not I, of course.
But why be serious all the time, even though the MB behaviour commissars are watching, sleeplessly recording missed commas or misuse of a parsed preparticipular pronoun gerundic clause.
Let's lighten up, move away from serious stuff like truck crimes, and get to something really hilarious like truck values and the plethora of exciting new capabilities such as trucks with and without covers.

I really like the doubling of truck capacity.... 3 trucks can now carry 6VPs. Great. Uses less petrol, keeps the QM and the greenies happy. And less stuff to move around.
Love the way other transport types are so treated....1/2Ts, crewed boats, ferries, AUVs, amphibious landing craft etc. (I am only using US OOB examples)
But why ignore DUKWs, rafts and uncrewed boats These are still 1 to 1. Makes no sense to me. I hope it is just an oversight in a very complicated data operation

I think the matter of transport VPs needs more work. (That's not saying Talonsoft got it 100% right all those years ago, although I think their relativities were generally good )..
To me, doubling truck capability....which is the keyword....means doubling VPs...from 1 to 2...NOT 3. From that basis an evaluation can be made as to relative capabilities of other transport units. A DUKW used to be worth 3 to a trucks 1. Now it is 2 to a trucks 3. And while the truck capacity has doubled and the DUKW has not (see above...overlooked?) the DUKW can still swim and the truck still cannot.
It may be more difficult to decide the relative value of the covered vs the uncovered truck, I fear. What about an uncovered duck?
Enough...you see my drift, I hope.
Really bad of me to break up a serious post and try to introduce some humour.:stir:
04-13-2010, 06:01 AM,
As for DUKWs, there is a new unit created by Jason to combat those pesky DUKWs...

Jason's DUKW Blind is to prevent those DUKWs whizzing/swimming by... Equipped with a long range automatic shotgun this new unit is a devastating weapon to counter the all powerful DUKW...

I know for a fact that Jason is in the process of combatting the much feared and reviled Truck with a new unit... It's called a weigh station... All trucks on a side will have to stop at the weigh stations manned by their opponent... this will allow your opponent to roll them up prior to them blocking hexes, bridges, or exit hexes...

As to my uses for trucks, I use them as transports... they will move to an assembly point behind the lines so they aren't exposed to enemy fire prior to unload... I use them for mobility, but when the steel and lead is flying, they sit back out of the way...

On occasion, I've motored into a fight to avalanche my foe as a large infantry force disembarks right on top of the objective my infantry is in the process of liberating... However, the circumstances have to be just right... I want to motor up, drop off, and motor out of LOS...

I may use a few as trip wires on lonely deserted forest roads, but for the most part I am LOATH to give away FREE victory points to an opponent. I like to use them to motor my reserves to the fight... not give my opponent a FREE lunch...

Regards,

Jim vK
04-13-2010, 10:15 AM,
(04-13-2010, 06:01 AM)Jim von Krieg Wrote: I know for a fact that Jason is in the process of combatting the much feared and reviled Truck with a new unit... It's called a weigh station... All trucks on a side will have to stop at the weigh stations manned by their opponent... this will allow your opponent to roll them up prior to them blocking hexes, bridges, or exit hexes...

Regards,

Jim vK

Jim, You forgot the much anticipated TOLL BOOTH addition taken from the movie "Blazing Saddles" where the whole enemy column was stopped in the middle of the wide open countryside by 1 solitary TOLL BOOTH asking for a quarter per traveler.

Great movie!
04-13-2010, 10:29 AM,
(04-11-2010, 12:06 PM)Chuck10mtn Wrote: Blocking exit hexes is the best use for them if your trying to keep an opponent from exiting units this truck blocking ploy should be a perfectly acceptable use of them. I thought it was about winning so does it make a difference how you win as long as you win it a game of war ???

Winning, by all means, is for those who play this as a game?
Using units in a way they are intended is for those who see this as a simulation?

There are those of us who see it as a game-simulation and try to win by using the units as they are intended. :chin:

It takes all kinds? :smoke:

cheers

HSL
04-13-2010, 03:15 PM,
(04-13-2010, 10:15 AM)Big Dawg Wrote:
(04-13-2010, 06:01 AM)Jim von Krieg Wrote: I know for a fact that Jason is in the process of combatting the much feared and reviled Truck with a new unit... It's called a weigh station... All trucks on a side will have to stop at the weigh stations manned by their opponent... this will allow your opponent to roll them up prior to them blocking hexes, bridges, or exit hexes...

Regards,

Jim vK

Jim, You forgot the much anticipated TOLL BOOTH addition taken from the movie "Blazing Saddles" where the whole enemy column was stopped in the middle of the wide open countryside by 1 solitary TOLL BOOTH asking for a quarter per traveler.

Great movie!

Now would that be the regular Toll Booth rule, or as it sounds the Extreme Toll Booth optional rule?

I swear I should have won this but the #%%6!# disrupted Toll Booth wouldn't go! I had three platoons of trucks and a halftrack and still they held on for FOUR turns!!
Visit us at CSLegion.com
04-13-2010, 07:47 PM,
(04-13-2010, 03:15 PM)Krazy Kat Wrote: Now would that be the regular Toll Booth rule, or as it sounds the Extreme Toll Booth optional rule?

Extreme Toll Booth is something Sonny got in The Godfather movie?
Better have exact change? :chin:

cheers

HSL
04-13-2010, 08:28 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-13-2010, 08:45 PM by Crossroads.)
(04-13-2010, 07:47 PM)Herr Straßen Läufer Wrote: Extreme Toll Booth is something Sonny got in The Godfather movie?

Totally OT here but Godfather reminded me of -> Al Pacino -> reminded me of -> Lt. Col. Frank Slade

"Well, Gentlemen. When the s*#t hits the fan, some guys run, and some guys stay"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqsf0XynGz8

Now is that a great speech or what.

Flag
Visit us at CSLegion.com