• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Half tracks
04-11-2010, 12:15 PM,
RE: Half tracks
Ed I thought they tasted more like Rocky Mountian Osyters, I've never really used any of these with much success. I still have a hard time moving and scooting very much, against my natuer I guess. I do keep the 251/2 close to the front, has antbody ever gotten to use a 251/16 flamethrower with any success at all, it seenm to be sure points to my opponent when I get it close to the front???

Chuck
Quote this message in a reply
04-11-2010, 12:41 PM,
(04-11-2010, 12:15 PM)Chuck10mtn Wrote: ...has antbody ever gotten to use a 251/16 flamethrower with any success at all, it seenm to be sure points to my opponent when I get it close to the front???

Yeah. Don't bother shooting at anything, but it's brutal when added to an assault. The trick is making sure to absorb all the op fire before bringing it in, otherwise it's toast.

Dave
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
04-11-2010, 05:14 PM,
I have used flame thrower tanks and HTs with great effect. As scud mentions, you just have to make sure there is no opfire and, if possible, enough points left after the attack to move them out of the front line. Otherwise they go up in smoke with appalling rapidity. I also particularly like half-tracks for their improved cross country performance versus trucks... I tend to avoid using them in assaults as this is somewhat ahistorical in my opinion (I've got several good manuals from the war that specifically talk about the HT occupants bailing out to prepare to fight, then the driver going to hide the vehicle, and when done, joining the other passengers on foot. Anyway... just random thoughts at 0215.

Later,

LR
If you run, you'll only die tired.

One hand on the wheel, and one in the flame,
One foot on the gas, and one in the grave.
04-11-2010, 11:13 PM,
(04-11-2010, 12:15 PM)Chuck10mtn Wrote: Ed I thought they tasted more like Rocky Mountian Osyters,

Chuck, I'll have to take your word on that. :chin:

(04-11-2010, 12:15 PM)Chuck10mtn Wrote: I've never really used any of these with much success. I still have a hard time moving and scooting very much, against my nature, I guess. I do keep the 251/2 close to the front,

I find that each Ht type has their own usefulness. They just need to be used in the way they were intended?

(04-11-2010, 12:15 PM)Chuck10mtn Wrote: has anybody ever gotten to use a 251/16 flamethrower with any success at all, it seem to be sure points to my opponent when I get it close to the front???

As Larry has stated, I've also used them to great success. Especially where there are roads with woods to either side or any "visibility blocking" terrain. Weaken the enemy and call in the flame Ht's to assist in an overrun. When they are done their task move them to hide and wait for another opportunity to overrun.

They are fragile and often do not last through the entire scenario. But, if they can do multiple overruns before they perish, they served their purpose? :chin:

cheers

HSL
04-12-2010, 03:14 PM,
I think you should change the name of this thread to Halftracks-German
04-12-2010, 07:34 PM,
Unless you want to add Allied Ht's to the discussion? :chin:
The thread took a turn toward German through the questions asked, but not exclusive to German if anyone wants to discuss them.

There were many Allied variations on the Ht and the Soviet use of Allied types?
Sadly, most of the Allied Ht variations were not as well represented in the game.

cheers

HSL
04-12-2010, 11:45 PM,
(04-12-2010, 07:34 PM)Herr Straßen Läufer Wrote: Sadly, most of the Allied Ht variations were not as well represented in the game.

...yet.

Jason Petho
Send this user an email
04-13-2010, 02:36 AM,
I had that feeling! :chin: Whip

Thanks Jason. :thumbs_up:

cheers

HSL
04-13-2010, 10:26 AM,
[/quote]

...yet.

Jason Petho
[/quote]

more half tracks!
04-13-2010, 10:33 AM,
(04-13-2010, 10:26 AM)Big Dawg Wrote: ...yet.

Jason Petho

more half tracks!

Dang it, I hope so!
I have not killed every one yet. :chin: Whip

cheers

HSL