• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Question about Kursk OOB
03-31-2010, 09:29 AM,
RE: Question about Kursk OOB
something is amiss in the balance of Kursk. Perhaps its the soviet troop quality - alot of these units fought to the death, whereas in pzc the disrupt and retreat very easily, or that a level 3 minefield is not strong enough, particularly against tanks
Quote this message in a reply
04-01-2010, 03:16 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-01-2010, 03:18 AM by Volcano Man.)
Well, that is a misconception really, the front lines did not hold to the last man, they were overrun. It was only through the piling on of more units and the gradual toll of attrition on the Germans by them being forced to assault the Russians to take every inch of ground, from the artillery, and of course from the minefields that caused the advance to come to an end. If it was historically the way you describe then the Germans wouldn't have gotten past the first defensive line.

In regards to the _Alt, it relies on lower quality Russian units but there are heavy fortifications and their artillery and tanks are generally more powerful. However, if you do not like the _Alt nor the stock scenarios, then why not alter it into what you prefer? In about two minutes you could change the entire Russian OOB so that they are all B or A quality units and voila, your units will indeed hold to the last man. Try that out and see how it works for you. ;)
Send this user an email
04-01-2010, 04:55 AM,
actually on the alt scenario I might first try digging in the soviet artillery to make it less susceptible to counter-battery fire and placing more fortifications on the third line, as the second line becomes a trap if you try to make a stand there as it is very difficult to retreat from with the obstacles and minefields
04-01-2010, 07:52 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-01-2010, 03:50 PM by Volcano Man.)
The only problem is, I have played most of the _Alt campaign PBEM as the Russians and I don't see that they have any problems holding. Sure, they can't hold the first, second or third lines indefinitely, but we were doing so at a reasonably historical rate. If anything, the Russians are probably on the side of being "too powerful" now, which is good, they need it. But like I said, if you are not satisfied with something then change it to your liking in the editors, I am just saying that it is easy to change stuff to whatever you want it to be (or you could post at vmods.com on how you dislike the _Alt and what should change in it).
Send this user an email