• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Weapons FOW
02-26-2010, 03:13 AM,
Weapons FOW
Some of you may have seen my post on the Wargamer but I thought I would throw this out here. I am currently playing two games of Squad Battles, one of Pacific War and one Eagle Strike. Up until recently I have only played solo. One thing I have noticed in those two games is that while FOW is used the game slowly reveals the numbers of enemy units you are facing but at the same time you know exactly what weapons they have. This seems to me, in some cases a huge problem.

I tested this in the intro scenario in PW. I had the Japanese Truck move down the road. No enemy in sight. On the allied turn (via hot seat) I move three groups of guerilla's into the jungle where the Japanese Truck could see them. Next Turn as the Japanese player I note that while I could not tell how many men I saw in the Jungle, the program did reveal everything they carried: At mines, satchel charges, smoke grenades and even their daggers. It did not reveal how many were carried of each but no matter this would give the Japanese player enough info to know which units might be able to kill his tankers to come later. I have been in contact with HPS and suggested a tweak here to more slowly reveal weaponry I guess as they are used or maybe depending on how big the weapon is and in what kind of terrain the unit is in. I think this would go a long way to make the games more fun and realistic.

Thought I would throw this out here for comment. I think this tweak would go a long way to make tank units more cautious about moving into woods and town hexes where there are enemy infantry. With such a tweak the tankers would have to worry more about what the infantry had but he could not see: Bazooka's, satchel charges etc. Thanks....
Quote this message in a reply