• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

First Day at Smolensk- no herr_oberst
05-30-2010, 08:58 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-30-2010, 01:28 PM by SnowBlue.)
First Day at Smolensk- no herr_oberst
So after some false starts do to work or school I finally have an AAR of a campaign game going. I decided to hold off posting it till the first day is complete so it does not peter out before it really begin and at least provides some entertainment. Since the Blitz seems to have trouble with images and I do not have the time to re crop them its being posted on another site.

If anybody is interested here is the link;

http://rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?...32#1121332

In case anyone is wondering its the first time herr_oberst and I are playing a PBEM campaign so be nice as its not going to be prefect.

Finally I am not sure if this should have been posted here or in the AAR sections and what the rules are to link to other forums. If moderators feel this is in the wrong place than I will move it.
Quote this message in a reply
05-30-2010, 10:04 AM,
RE: First Day ar Smolensk- no herr_oberst
Actually there is no problem posting images in the AAR section of the blitz with your write up. The tools in the new AAR section are really useful in this regard.

Blitz AAR section

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
05-30-2010, 11:51 AM,
RE: First Day ar Smolensk- no herr_oberst
(05-30-2010, 10:04 AM)Dog Soldier Wrote: Actually there is no problem posting images in the AAR section of the blitz with your write up. The tools in the new AAR section are really useful in this regard.

Blitz AAR section

Dog Soldier

Isn't there an issue with screenshots not beeing resized to fit the forum space?
05-31-2010, 01:53 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-31-2010, 01:55 AM by Dog Soldier.)
RE: First Day at Smolensk- no herr_oberst
Yes, but only in the forums. The AAR forum will be decommissioned some day in the future as soon as Foul and I can get all the AARs there moved to the new AAR module of the blitz. There is not problem with images in the AAR module. It is the forum software that is the problem with large images. We do not control that software.
The AAR module of the blitz is not a forum. It is a custom area developed specifically for the blitz. Take a look.

Dog Soldier
- Wyatt Earp
05-31-2010, 03:44 AM,
Hi SnowBlue!

What graphics pack do you use?

The map in your AAR looks pretty cool.
05-31-2010, 04:24 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-31-2010, 04:26 AM by SnowBlue.)
I use map mod, but it looks like I need to update to the latest version.

http://www.hist-sdc.com/MapMod/index.htm

I also use Volcano Man unit portraits, but there seems to be some technical problems. Weird as they work fine in other games.

PS. Thanks for the info on the blitz AAR section, will check it out.
05-31-2010, 06:09 AM,
You are welcome.

There is a way to build your AAR together with your opponent, (like if this is after the action is over) or so all but your opponent would be able to access it.

Dog Soldier
- Wyatt Earp
05-31-2010, 09:07 PM,
(05-31-2010, 04:24 AM)SnowBlue Wrote: I use map mod, but it looks like I need to update to the latest version.

No need for that, it looks like you are using the latest version already.

Great AAR btw - so keep it coming. Aren't you worried that your opponent are extracting valuable intel out of this though? ;)

Jison
Send this user an email
06-01-2010, 08:20 AM,
He agreed not to look at it till its done.
06-01-2010, 10:19 AM,
Excellent AAR. Contact me, as it will be very easy to host this in the AAR section of the blitz. Members can still place comments to your AAR as you post each installment.

You might want to check up on the Russian units assigned to the Western Military District HQ, (Western Front HQ in the game). I do not think there is any HQ for them in the OOB or a way to attach them to the various Army HQs, thus making them one use wonders as they will be considered:
  • Detached
  • Go low ammo, low fuel
  • In the case of artillery, have no spotters for indirect fire rendering them useless.
I am not sure if your version you are playing has these problems. It was a long time ago I noticed these things. I do not recall these issues being fixed though the designer was notified. They may be fixed. If that is the case contact me by email. I do not think a new version was ever posted at the HPS web site in an updated XP2 pack, but I could be wrong.

BTW, your comment about clearing the mines near Viebsk to allow the 7th Mech Corps a way out of the cul de sac is not entirely correct. Engineers placed the turn before on a hex with MINES cause it to become Mines allowing units in travel mode to cross the mines safely while the engineer unit remains. Just go to the menu when you place the engineer, (this can be done by the second turn of the game if you use the foot engineers that start in Vitebsk) and cancel the Clearing Mines function.

When your 7th Mech Corps is safely across the river, cross with the engineers while having a second engineer unit (which moved up the last turn before the final rearguard crosses) blow the bridge. Now the mines are still in place to cause the Axis player some problems!

You can only pray the Axis commander is cooperative enough to chase your 7th Mech corps into this Bloody Angle in the Luchesa River.

Dog Soldier
- Wyatt Earp