• redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

So You Want Quality CS H2H Scenarios?
02-23-2010, 09:58 PM,
RE: So You Want Quality CS H2H Scenarios?
(02-23-2010, 08:46 AM)keif149 Wrote: I think it was a couple years ago, (maybe not) some scenario designers complained about the quality of the testers. I think that put a lot of people off. Maybe the designers could request what rank of testers they would like to have test their scenario. Like, top 20 on the ladder or open to everyone.

Thanks!
Keif149

Hi Daniel:

Your idea certainly has merit... but maybe the "selection process" would have more acceptance if scenario designers contacted top players privately... and not publically advertised for the "top 20 on a ladder?" :smoke:

IMHO, I believe everyone who wishes to test a new scenario design should be allowed to do so. CS scenarios are played by players of different skill levels? :chin:
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
02-24-2010, 03:44 AM,
(02-23-2010, 09:58 PM)mwest Wrote:
(02-23-2010, 08:46 AM)keif149 Wrote: I think it was a couple years ago, (maybe not) some scenario designers complained about the quality of the testers. I think that put a lot of people off. Maybe the designers could request what rank of testers they would like to have test their scenario. Like, top 20 on the ladder or open to everyone.

Thanks!
Keif149

Hi Daniel:

Your idea certainly has merit... but maybe the "selection process" would have more acceptance if scenario designers contacted top players privately... and not publically advertised for the "top 20 on a ladder?" :smoke:

IMHO, I believe everyone who wishes to test a new scenario design should be allowed to do so. CS scenarios are played by players of different skill levels? :chin:

I believe that any experienced player/member should test scenarios if they want to do so.
After playing a "few" most CS players know what is balanced. Testing just needs an objective mind and someone who truly wants to do it?

I'm glad to get top players involved. But, I also like those who have different skill levels to try them out. It's like witnesses at a crime scene? Each has a perspective.

What I want to not see is members who rate a scenario not based on balance or fun, but on whether or not they like the scenario. The dBASE is full of scenarios where players have commented that the scenario was unbalanced and un-enjoyable but, the game reports show a near balanced scenario that is fun to play.

More testers, of all types, will give more and varied ratings?

I think the most important thing for testers is to stay active and if they become inactive they should contact the H2H Custodians to have themselves removed from testing. Nothing is so much frustrating as a test hung on the rating of a member who gave it up but did not inform the designer or Custodians?

Way off tangent. But, I had to type what I was thinking. :conf:

cheers

HSL
02-24-2010, 10:39 AM,
:-) Personally, I believe they should be open to everyone too.
Would more people test if they completed a test scenario (not one that was abandoned for problems) and got to record the game? Maybe players would be more interested in their record rather than getting bonus points. I would test if that was so. Even recording the loss if I got a stinky side.
Send this user an email
02-24-2010, 08:11 PM,
Here is what testers "earn":

How many bonus points will I earn?
You will be awarded 20 points per scenario Size Modifier. Full bonus points will only be awarded by the H2H Commander once the report has been filled out correctly.

That's 80 points for a size four scenario?
That's many more than what would be garnered from a game report?

I understand that some players want to report the games as ladder results. But, it was believed that testers would be more productive earning their points through rating and reporting the test. And, for that matter, they would also be part of creating a scenario that is balanced and fun to play?

We all suffer from real life restrictions on our time, so I do understand the concerns and comments. It was determined by the leadership that H2H was not going to be used for increasing total games played. For those who look at "games reported" totals exclusive to victory points H2H might not make sense.

cheers

HSL