• redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

So You Want Quality CS H2H Scenarios?
02-19-2010, 07:33 PM,
RE: So You Want Quality CS H2H Scenarios?
(02-19-2010, 05:29 AM)Cole Wrote: I'd like to test KR's scenario with the Italians invading Albania. I have a fetish for playing minor allies and Albania is probably about as minor as one can get (did Luxembourg put up any opposition in 1940).

Please let me know if you want to test that one.

Short answer, Scott...a tiny bit. Try this link
[//en.wikipediaorg/wiki/German_occupation_of_Luxembourg_in_World_War_II
Quote this message in a reply
02-19-2010, 08:50 PM,
(02-19-2010, 06:45 PM)glint Wrote: The database hopefully, could provide space for feedback once played and reported, as I said, one could be unable to report a game unless both players have filled in the report.

When reporting a scenario there are areas where ratings can be given along with comment fields. Active designers will read the comments and check the ratings? Though, I'm not sold on forcing players to use them.

(02-19-2010, 06:45 PM)glint Wrote: Perhaps another utility could be, run the database like a football league, (British, not American, lol) where, every now and then, scenarios that have not been played a certain number of times get relegated from the database, a way of removing the deadwood perhaps?

I'm not familiar with the British football league, but (if you are referring to the H2H area) you are spot on. There are only so many slots for all CS scenarios and only a limited number to be submitted by each designer. Clearing out scenarios that have received little to no support, from the designers, is what we are attempting to do. Instead of making it machine run we want to keep "humans" in the loop. ;)

(02-19-2010, 06:45 PM)glint Wrote: That way large scenarios could be introduced as well which, as re another post from HSL, would not be feasible to be playtested in h2h.

As I stated previously, large scenarios that are actively supported can be uploaded to the H2H area. But, in my opinion, a scenario which will require years to complete the test would clog up a scenario testing space that could be used to move a smaller scenario through the process. At the moment we do not have that problem.

As Chema stated, "I enjoyed all player testing my scns and thanks for your help, but in order to H2H section, I prefer to do an own and major testing game with some of my regular opponents. But I would like see the H2h section with many players working..."
This should apply to all scenarios, especially the larger ones?
If the label of "Blitz Approved" is what the designer is after, then having a scenario "close to complete" and actively supported through testing will help get that in a reasonable amount of time?

cheers

HSL
02-19-2010, 09:48 PM,
(02-19-2010, 07:31 AM)Cam Wrote: Hi All
I find scenario testing and development a crucial part of the game. After having played 200+ scenarios it is often difficult to find a good one. For myself, with a passion for WF, had it not been for Huib's and Don Fox's new scenarios, I probably would have packed in this game awhile ago
Cam

Hi Cam: :smoke:

You are spot on sir! I believe that new content and scenarios is the "life blood" that keeps CS fun and exciting to play.

There are great "classic" CS scenarios... but after playing them a dozen times or so... even their luster starts to look a little dull? :chin:
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
02-20-2010, 02:55 AM,
(02-19-2010, 07:33 PM)K K Rossokolski Wrote:
(02-19-2010, 05:29 AM)Cole Wrote: I'd like to test KR's scenario with the Italians invading Albania. I have a fetish for playing minor allies and Albania is probably about as minor as one can get (did Luxembourg put up any opposition in 1940).

Please let me know if you want to test that one.

Short answer, Scott...a tiny bit. Try this link
[//en.wikipediaorg/wiki/German_occupation_of_Luxembourg_in_World_War_II

Thanks!
02-22-2010, 09:31 AM,
Hi Guys,
just returned from a long weekend journey, so sorry I haven't responded earlier.

In reply to your message Ed, -

I'm sure, if the requisite for a report on the game was part of the process, players would fill it in to get their' results logged?

My comments on the 'British football league' were relevant to H2H.
For example,if for arguments sake, you had 100 slots available for CS Scenarios then, after a period of time, say the bottom 10 or 20 played ones get relegated to a '2nd league' where, after another period of time, they get removed. In that time designers could receive an alert that the games are to be removed.
This would leave slots open for any new scenarios to be loaded throughout that period, H2H playtested ones could get priority?

I still believe that, a large scenario that takes maybe a year to test, would never see the light of day as H2H is at the moment, albeit it could be a superb scenario?
Using my suggestion, it would be available for players to play if they wish and could remain on the database, providing it received favourable reports to keep it in the 'premier league'

As I said previously, I'm trying to be constructive to do my limited best for the good of H2H's efforts, not trying to just criticise you guys' efforts. Just giving another angle for consideration.
regards
Peter
02-22-2010, 08:59 PM,
(02-22-2010, 09:31 AM)glint Wrote: In reply to your message Ed, -

I'm sure, if the requisite for a report on the game was part of the process, players would fill it in to get their' results logged?

I'm not into forcing players to do anything. Heck, if you play a game and decide not to report it that is your right?
Why force anyone to do anything? It's about the game and getting scenarios that are balanced and fun to PBEM?

(02-22-2010, 09:31 AM)glint Wrote: My comments on the 'British football league' were relevant to H2H.
For example,if for arguments sake, you had 100 slots available for CS Scenarios then, after a period of time, say the bottom 10 or 20 played ones get relegated to a '2nd league' where, after another period of time, they get removed. In that time designers could receive an alert that the games are to be removed.
This would leave slots open for any new scenarios to be loaded throughout that period, H2H playtested ones could get priority?

Maybe you misunderstand?
H2H has limits to the amount of total CS scenarios, and the amount of scenarios by designer, that can be in the testing area. The scenario dBASE has no such limits.
And, why complicate a simple system?

(02-22-2010, 09:31 AM)glint Wrote: I still believe that, a large scenario that takes maybe a year to test, would never see the light of day as H2H is at the moment, albeit it could be a superb scenario?

I still don't think a large scenario is suited to H2H testing. But, that is my opinion and I am openly not a fan of mega scenarios.

cheers

HSL
02-23-2010, 02:07 AM,
I don't see the issue as being a case of 'forcing people' to do anything Ed? Everything has a system, - I have to log in to download anything, I can't as a guest, but I look on that as the way it is, not of being forced to?

Re the relegation of games, yeah, guess I misunderstood! My comments would apply to the database then.

Re 'mega' scenarios, yeah that's your opinion Ed. I know of many who would enjoy them and many who like team games, which invariably involves a large scenario.It seems they will be excluded from H2H ?

Anyway, I came into the thread as originally, a post was put up requesting more support from playtesters. I don't think I have anymore to contribute on those lines. The final thing I would suggest is, perhaps the thread should be in the general forum, maybe more comments would have been made? I think the fact h2h is in the upper section means, most people don't navigate up there!

I looked at the approved list and, compared to the database, my personal opinion is, when picking a game to play, I would head for the database?

regards
Peter
02-23-2010, 05:20 AM,
(02-23-2010, 02:07 AM)glint Wrote: Re 'mega' scenarios, yeah that's your opinion Ed. I know of many who would enjoy them and many who like team games, which invariably involves a large scenario.It seems they will be excluded from H2H ?

No, you would be incorrect to think that. How about reading what has already been written?

(02-23-2010, 02:07 AM)glint Wrote: Anyway, I came into the thread as originally, a post was put up requesting more support from playtesters. I don't think I have anymore to contribute on those lines. The final thing I would suggest is, perhaps the thread should be in the general forum, maybe more comments would have been made? I think the fact h2h is in the upper section means, most people don't navigate up there!

Then others would be missing out?
We were, and are, discussing H2H here. Tangents that get brought up can surely be discussed on the regular CS forum?

(02-23-2010, 02:07 AM)glint Wrote: I looked at the approved list and, compared to the database, my personal opinion is, when picking a game to play, I would head for the database?

LOL! "Some of my best friends play approved scenarios." And, as you wrote above; "yeah that's your opinion" Peter. :smoke:
Which is a good thing?

cheers

HSL
02-23-2010, 06:41 AM,
I'll withdraw from the discussion Ed, seems I'm out of order for expressing my views here, from above!
regards
Peter
02-23-2010, 08:46 AM,
I think it was a couple years ago, (maybe not) some scenario designers complained about the quality of the testers. I think that put a lot of people off. Maybe the designers could request what rank of testers they would like to have test their scenario. Like, top 20 on the ladder or open to everyone.

Thanks!
Keif149
Send this user an email