• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

advice on effective use of recon spotting
02-18-2010, 10:10 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-18-2010, 10:12 PM by Bacillus98.)
advice on effective use of recon spotting
Hello. I was hoping for some advice from the Panzer Campaign gurus on how best to employ recon spotting. The rules state:

"Selecting Recon Spotting requires that the Recon Spotting Optional Rule first be enabled. Then with one or more recon units selected, this command will attempt to spot enemy units within the Line-of-Sight of the selected units at the cost of 1/3 of the movement allowance of the units. The probability of spotting the enemy units will depend on the distance from the recon unit to the enemy unit, the terrain that the enemy unit is in, the strength of the recon unit, and its quality and fatigue."

I wanted to test on some scenarios that seem to be wide open so I opened the "Vyazma Campaign" in Moscow 41. Here's what I tried doing. The far north of the map contains the 36 ID. I used a recon unit which consists of 24 armored cars located in hex (21,32). It starts the scenario in T-mode, with a number of 79T. I'd like the illustrated the steps I undertook so perhaps someone could correct me if I am in error in the proper utilization of recon assets. The visible hex range is 2 for this scenario. I did the following:

1.) I set the mode to "save movement costs" first. The reasoning was to have enough MP's to retreat from trouble if necessary.
2.) I then selected recon spotting.
3.) I moved the recon unit northwest along to road until it was 2 hexes southwest of the village Demeckh. Here's a small picture.

[Image: reconunit.jpg]

What do I see? Nothing. There are actually mines 1 hex north, northwest, and south east of the recon unit. The visibility range is 2 on this particular turn. Why are the mines not shown? According to the rules, recon spotting has probability involved, but the mines are in clear terrain, not hidden away in a city or forest. Do I need to move the unit close to the area I want to reconnoiter and then hit RECON spotting? Help on this issue is most greatly appreciated.
Quote this message in a reply
02-19-2010, 01:22 AM,
RE: advice on effective use of recon spotting
You have it right at the end of your post Bacillus. You need to move to the point where you want to recon FROM, THEN make the recon spotting selection which will use 1/3 of the movement to try and spot from that location. So move first, then choose recon spotting.

Using high spots with long lines of sight can be helpful, depending on what you are looking for or where you suspect the units might be.

Theoretically, you could move a hex or 2, try to spot, then move to another spot and try to spot, as long as you only use 1/3 of the movement points to move.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
02-19-2010, 01:44 PM,
Can you do recon spotting in the T mode???
02-19-2010, 01:51 PM,
pretend its like shooting-thou that would be a cool concept, to turn "it" on prior to moving then have it "on" while you did the remaining 2/3ds
02-19-2010, 02:51 PM,
(02-19-2010, 01:44 PM)Marquo Wrote: Can you do recon spotting in the T mode???

Certainly, why not? The recon spotting command will still use 1/3 of the higher T mode movement points so there is no gamey "gain". Travel mode will help you cover more ground is all. The risks are that your recon unit runs out of MP and end up in a very vulnerable position or get an air interdiction attack. This especially true for the motorcycle recon units in most armies. I can not imagine motorcycle recon units being of much use pushing their vehicles on foot while trying to spot the enemy. Best to think ahead to the next turn and position your recon unit so it can scout and area close by; then run for cover if trouble is found.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
02-19-2010, 11:25 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-19-2010, 11:27 PM by raizer.)
The worst thing is is when there is like a 5 hex vis, which is what Im getting in kharkov...and one more hex to go for your recon to get to the top of that hill, and if you go and spot you are out of movement-but oh the joy of seeing all that way...is it worth the risk to be stuck up there with those old BA's to see all that way HAHA
02-20-2010, 04:08 AM,
raizer,

Like spotting the Japanese fleet with a PBY. Get that message off to HQ quick before you are shot to pieces.

Understanding the recon spotting rules causes players to realize the need for screening their flanks. Another place this screening tactic is needed is on the open desert. It does not take much to block some AC from getting to a position that will reveal what you do not want seen.

This can make for an interesting cat and mouse sub game. Removing the enemy's eyes and ears while trying to use your own to good advantage can truly help. Your K42 example is a good one. Long LOS coupled with rolling terrain around the Kharkov battlefield can allow mechanized "cavalry" to earn their pay.

Dog Soldier
- Wyatt Earp
02-20-2010, 05:25 AM,
(02-20-2010, 04:08 AM)Dog Soldier Wrote: This can make for an interesting cat and mouse sub game. Removing the enemy's eyes and ears while trying to use your own to good advantage can truly help. Your K42 example is a good one. Long LOS coupled with rolling terrain around the Kharkov battlefield can allow mechanized "cavalry" to earn their pay.

Dog Soldier

My Recon guys better spend their pay on new glasses because I rarely spot anything!
02-20-2010, 05:50 PM,
Ah, James....
Are you saying they spend too much time ducking from flying lead? Big GrinBig Grin

Dog Soldier
- Wyatt Earp