• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

The Next SB Tourney Teaser
02-11-2010, 03:12 AM,
The Next SB Tourney Teaser
With Round Three of the DBP tourney nearly ready to kick off, it's time to start thinking about the next tourney here at The Blitz...

Normally I put the game to a vote. Seems more democratic and allows for you guys to fight over what game you'd like to play. There's been some spirited voting in the past which I liked to see. This time I've got something a little different in store.

The game that will be used will be Eagle's Strike. I chose this game because it always does well in the voting and is one of the series most popular topics.

There is a twist, however.

Typically one opponent will have played a scenario, maybe multiple times. Sure this usually isn't an issue, but sometimes it could. To eliminate this situation, I've asked designer extraordinaire Ozgur Budak to craft three BRAND NEW scenarios for this tourney. The subject matter we'll keep close to our chest for the time being, but you all will be getting virgin material for this tourney. The scenarios will not be released to the general public until each round has begun.

We've already started the playtesting for this tourney, which means Oz and I probably won't be involved in the actual gaming.

Thoughts are appreciated.
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
Quote this message in a reply
02-11-2010, 04:19 AM,
RE: The Next SB Tourney Teaser
(02-11-2010, 03:12 AM)TheBigRedOne Wrote: With Round Three of the DBP tourney nearly ready to kick off, it's time to start thinking about the next tourney here at The Blitz...

Normally I put the game to a vote. Seems more democratic and allows for you guys to fight over what game you'd like to play. There's been some spirited voting in the past which I liked to see. This time I've got something a little different in store.

The game that will be used will be Eagle's Strike. I chose this game because it always does well in the voting and is one of the series most popular topics.

There is a twist, however.

Typically one opponent will have played a scenario, maybe multiple times. Sure this usually isn't an issue, but sometimes it could. To eliminate this situation, I've asked designer extraordinaire Ozgur Budak to craft three BRAND NEW scenarios for this tourney. The subject matter we'll keep close to our chest for the time being, but you all will be getting virgin material for this tourney. The scenarios will not be released to the general public until each round has begun.

We've already started the playtesting for this tourney, which means Oz and I probably won't be involved in the actual gaming.

Thoughts are appreciated.

Ripper - my mouth is watering.

Good thinking Alan...and a big thanks to Oz.

I suspect we are in for something special. Should be fun.
02-11-2010, 04:20 AM,
I'm excited, count me in.Big Grin

One thing I've enjoyed in other tournaments I've played in is that you play a mirrored game, but you don't play the same opponent. Something like this:

Joe vs Tim
Tim vs Matt
Matt vs Joe

Gives you the opportunity to play different people, which is my favourite thing about the tournaments.

I'm a hussar, I'm a Hun,  I'm a wretched Englishman
Routing Bonaparte at Waterloo
I'm a dragoon on a dun, I'm a Cossack on the run
I'm a horse soldier, timeless, through and through

Corb Lund - Horse Soldier, Horse Soldier

02-11-2010, 04:36 AM,
(02-11-2010, 04:20 AM)Mad_Dog Wrote: I'm excited, count me in.Big Grin

One thing I've enjoyed in other tournaments I've played in is that you play a mirrored game, but you don't play the same opponent. Something like this:

Joe vs Tim
Tim vs Matt
Matt vs Joe

Gives you the opportunity to play different people, which is my favourite thing about the tournaments.

Interesting. Could be a logistical headache for me to keep up with all of these permutations. I'll give it some thought.
02-11-2010, 08:50 AM,
I'd like to give it a shot. I'm a rookie at SBs tho.
02-11-2010, 10:53 AM,
Sounds great to me. The only downside is that I would like to see both you and Oz in the tourney. Personally I don't mind if the two of you participate even though you have already played the scenarios.

Besides, I owe you a little revenge. :P And also I am not sure if it makes a whole lot of difference whether Oz created the new scenarios or had never seen them before. :bow: LOL
02-11-2010, 08:45 PM,
Ooooh I want in! I've never been in any tournament. Come to think of it, i'm playing my first PBEM SB game right now! :)

If you guys don't mind a newbie (to PBEM, but i've played the AI to death in all the HPS games I have!) i'd like to be in on this; are probies allowed in tourneys?
Ummmmm...my terrier lives to bark and barks to live...
Send this user an email
02-11-2010, 11:34 PM,
(02-11-2010, 08:45 PM)loafy_88 Wrote: Ooooh I want in! I've never been in any tournament. Come to think of it, i'm playing my first PBEM SB game right now! :)

If you guys don't mind a newbie (to PBEM, but i've played the AI to death in all the HPS games I have!) i'd like to be in on this; are probies allowed in tourneys?

Everyone is welcome in the tourneys. I typically try to organize the first round based on ladder rankings as well as understanding of where a certain player 'fits' into the talent scheme. New guys will typically play new guys in the first round and then things simply go by points from there.

The tourney's are meant for fun and for players to get a chance to play someone they hadn't before where-ever possible. The more players the merrier.
02-12-2010, 01:13 AM,
If the more players the merrier, then you and Oz should play as well. :)
02-12-2010, 05:24 AM,
(02-11-2010, 11:34 PM)TheBigRedOne Wrote: Everyone is welcome in the tourneys. I typically try to organize the first round based on ladder rankings as well as understanding of where a certain player 'fits' into the talent scheme. New guys will typically play new guys in the first round and then things simply go by points from there.

The tourney's are meant for fun and for players to get a chance to play someone they hadn't before where-ever possible. The more players the merrier.

Outstanding! Please let me know when/how to sign up at the pertinent time; i'm sure you'll probably have a board post. I can't wait! Now, if I can only win my first PBEM SB battle that i'm in right now. Trying to rescue trapped troops on a hill in SAW without winning a posthumous Order of the Red Star :)
Ummmmm...my terrier lives to bark and barks to live...
Send this user an email