• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Poll: Which of these PzC would you like the most?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Tunisia '43
29.87%
23 29.87%
Berlin '45
16.88%
13 16.88%
Yugoslavia '41
1.30%
1 1.30%
Crimea '41
7.79%
6 7.79%
Norway '40
12.99%
10 12.99%
Operation Dragoon '44
1.30%
1 1.30%
Rhine Crossing '45
10.39%
8 10.39%
Poland '44
19.48%
15 19.48%
Total 77 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Which of these PzC would you like to see?
02-07-2010, 07:41 AM,
RE: Which of these PzC would you like to see?
(02-07-2010, 03:31 AM)Outlaw Josey Wales Wrote: I agree with Foul. But IMO would be limited in it's scope due to the expanse of the ocean vs the land. Maybe China could be a title, Burma/Malaya/Singapore, Philippines Japanes invasion/Allied Liberation, New Guinea/Solomons Campaign, maybe Okinawa. The rest most likely to be a bunch of independant scenarios put together similar to the Salerno/Anzio/Crete title. Just a thought.
I agree Mark, maybe the Philippines could be a title covering the invasion of 1941 and then 44/45?

I have no idea if the land area is too big for a map though?
Quote this message in a reply
02-07-2010, 08:43 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-07-2010, 08:45 AM by Glenn Saunders.)
(02-07-2010, 03:31 AM)Outlaw Josey Wales Wrote: I agree with Foul. But IMO would be limited in it's scope due to the expanse of the ocean vs the land. Maybe China could be a title, Burma/Malaya/Singapore, Philippines Japanes invasion/Allied Liberation, New Guinea/Solomons Campaign, maybe Okinawa. The rest most likely to be a bunch of independant scenarios put together similar to the Salerno/Anzio/Crete title. Just a thought.
You saw my post on Guadalcanal as a title - yes?
And while Okinawa is ok on a map size, the invasion was unopposed. Most of the northern part of the map saw little fighting but there is an area that is I think 10x10 he es in the south where the lines moved maybe one or two hexes ever couple hundred turns. Just thought I'd toss that out to illustrate that not every battle would work as well on a pzc scale.

Glenn
Send this user an email
02-08-2010, 02:01 AM,
(02-07-2010, 08:43 AM)Glenn Saunders Wrote:
You saw my post on Guadalcanal as a title - yes?
And while Okinawa is ok on a map size, the invasion was unopposed. Most of the northern part of the map saw little fighting but there is an area that is I think 10x10 he es in the south where the lines moved maybe one or two hexes ever couple hundred turns. Just thought I'd toss that out to illustrate that not every battle would work as well on a pzc scale.

Glenn

And could something from the XIXth century be made with the actual engine? but modified? I would like to play the battle of Isandlwana or the Boxer rebellion
02-08-2010, 02:38 AM,
The XIXth Century I would think would be more suited for the ACW or EAW series games.

And for Glenn, no worries. At times I am much the dreamer. Look at where we are today as a people and all this technology, I know it can be done, but what I don't know is how much of an undertaking it would be or if it would be worth it in the end and that is where people like me rely on people like you who know more about that then we do. I have more general ideas and feed off of other people for detailed ideas......if I have any of those. <slaps forehead>

cheers
02-08-2010, 07:40 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-08-2010, 07:47 AM by Glenn Saunders.)
Well, I have to admit that I

1) Once proposed a small map game covering Brit tanks against the Japanese in Malaya - the battle escapes me now, but I did a CS Scn with Blackie in the area and thought it might work on a 1km scale. John wasn't intersted in pursuing the idea.

2) I once pursued the Guadacanal idea based on my Boardgaming experiance and posts showing interest in this on another forum, only to discover the map would be maybe 20x20, cover 6 months and require a malaria rule which would randomly kill more men than enemy action, that little in the way of ground would change hands, hell, how many more kill strokes are there to this idea. Lack of a way to handle Naval actions, ect ect.

3) I once attended a lecture on Iwo Jima and thought a weirdly revised time and ground scale could work with the engine here, but that idea didn't work.

4) I bought several books and began to pursue the Okinawa idea only to find that the invasion was unopposed, that the stuff in the north was clean up,that the line in he south held for months in a narrow neck where the ground gains were measured in yards, not 1 km hexes - it just didn't work. If someone wants to buy my copy of Typhoon of Steel by Belote and Belote, I will sell it for cheap.

There are other ideas we've looked at too - but these for illustrat ethe range of things we've considered and elected to pass on for now. The point of this info is to show it has been considered.

That said, I'll be the first to admit there is likely things we haven't thought of, and there has been no decision on to take PzC to the Pacific or to NOT take PzC to the Pacific. But I was involved in the CS Series in the pacific and even at that scale there was issues with some battles people wanted\expected to see, and that from John Tiller's POV, the Squad Battle Series covers this theater better than the opertional scale of PzC. And anyone interested in the Solomons should try John's Naval Campaign Guadacanal, as it is a lot of fun.

Glenn
Send this user an email
02-08-2010, 03:51 PM,
That's what I mean about relying on others. :bow:

The malaria thing is a very good point. But then again, what about the frozen and frostbite casualties on the EF? I haven't noticed those taken into consideration in winter scenarios, if they are, I just haven't noticed, but they would seem to run the same tracks. They both sound like something that would be abstracted once per 24 hr period like at midnight turn like the other stuff. But the big question to me is would that take away from the games? I'm a big fan of if it ain't broke, don't fix it unless it is a sure improvement like I keep putting out there about the air game, which again at that point we rely on ya'll. But hopefully that will be a priority some day. In my mind it would be a good improvement since as cdr's we have control over so much and considering the scale of the games, there is a lot of detail. I was a Manual Drafter for many years....I like detail. :smoke:

Anyway, as long as ya'll don't mind, whenever I have something, I'll keep tossing it out there. If nothing else, it at least keeps me thinking.

cheers
02-08-2010, 07:48 PM,
Well, using the same engine for Pacific battles limit the titles to Nomonhan39, Manchuria45, Filipinas 41/44 and Burma from 1942 to 1945 covering individual operations (can add the race in Malaya) rest of actions need a new engine were time and casualties have changes and of course a new urban/heavy defensive positions combat rule is needed but this is the same for PzC and MC.

Another interesting use of PzC engine is cover pre WW2 conflicts like Spanish Civil war (Madrid,Jarama, Guadalajara, north front that have half width of Tobruk to Alamein, Zaragoza race, Brunete, Belchite...) in a game like Salerno with individual battles, curious but the "decisive" battle of Ebro isnt the best to a game, are a Jarama37 mod using an old version of Kursk engine and give an interesting game for people who like infantry combat where the 2 sides have very similar armies. Other option is cover the Palestina/Egipt front in WW1 were Meggido is an interesting battle.

Talking about XIX... for EAW series i only see 1 title more that cover the wars of independent in south america, mexican/french war os more operational than tactical for me, another wars in XIX need more a napoleonic engine with changes but i think that now is more close a 2nd part of Renacimiento covering XVII century with battles in Europe and British civil war.

Well, we can only wait and first of all wait for a new PzC/MC title talking about another question is only a dream
02-10-2010, 03:11 AM,
Battles which would work nicely:

AGN Summer 44 - The Soviet drive to the Baltic and the German counterattacks in August to reconnect with AGC and AGN.

Likewise Eastern Poland post-Minsk 44 would provide opportunities for both sides to attack and defend. The battles around Brody were intensive, and the tank battles east of Warsaw were also quite large. Plus the fights for the Vistula and Narva river bridgeheads would make good manageable scenarios.

Battle for East Prussia '45 - perhaps not quite as interesting for the German player as the two above, but certainly "do-able". Remember Radey's boardgame on the subject?

Battles for Kiev Nov-Dec 43 has already been mentioned, and is an interesting situation with lots of movement, attacks and counterattacks by both sides.

Half tempted to volunteer myself to do one of these...
02-10-2010, 04:01 AM,
(02-10-2010, 03:11 AM)NicholasBell Wrote: Battles which would work nicely:

AGN Summer 44 - The Soviet drive to the Baltic and the German counterattacks in August to reconnect with AGC and AGN.

Likewise Eastern Poland post-Minsk 44 would provide opportunities for both sides to attack and defend. The battles around Brody were intensive, and the tank battles east of Warsaw were also quite large. Plus the fights for the Vistula and Narva river bridgeheads would make good manageable scenarios.

Battle for East Prussia '45 - perhaps not quite as interesting for the German player as the two above, but certainly "do-able". Remember Radey's boardgame on the subject?

Battles for Kiev Nov-Dec 43 has already been mentioned, and is an interesting situation with lots of movement, attacks and counterattacks by both sides.

Half tempted to volunteer myself to do one of these...

I like your ideas, especially the AGN 1944 battles. Last year I read a book by Glantz (can't recall the title right now) that discussed Soviet operations in Rumania 1944. While reading it I thought it might make a good PzC title but possibly the area covered is too large & the battles too obscure for general interest. Anyhow, just my .02 input.