• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Poll: What of these MC Scenarios would you like to see
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Scandinavia 85
25.71%
9 25.71%
Greece & Turkey 85
14.29%
5 14.29%
Cuba 85
2.86%
1 2.86%
Taiwan 85
11.43%
4 11.43%
Japan 85
2.86%
1 2.86%
Expand the map to cover whole Korea
8.57%
3 8.57%
Expand the Danube Front map to cover Denmark, the rest of Austria and the North of Italy
34.29%
12 34.29%
Total 35 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

What of these MC scenarios would you like to see?
01-21-2010, 08:19 AM,
RE: What of these MC scenarios would you like to see?
(01-21-2010, 07:18 AM)bwv Wrote: seriously then, how about a 1969 USSR - PRC large scale Yalu River confrontation?

I would prefer all the poll options first plus a game set in Iran/Pakistan and Iraq than a boring ruskies vs chinese..., war that was most unlekely to happen in the 1985 scenario, the USSR wanted to have their backs covered and so wanted China.
Quote this message in a reply
01-21-2010, 08:55 PM,
Well, i prefer another historical game like Vietnam 72-75 covering the convencional war, or Pakistan-India wars or better Gulf Wars 80-91 and in non historical i like see China movements but an attack against Taiwan is psss and Japan the same, dont like island war in MC.

My vote goes to expand the south front, leave main powers and center in the secondary like Hungarian, Rumanian, Greeks etc etc, i dont want another German theater expansion, i want a new game.
01-21-2010, 10:58 PM,
(01-21-2010, 08:55 PM)Xaver Wrote: Well, i prefer another historical game like Vietnam 72-75 covering the convencional war, or Pakistan-India wars or better Gulf Wars 80-91 and in non historical i like see China movements but an attack against Taiwan is psss and Japan the same, dont like island war in MC.

My vote goes to expand the south front, leave main powers and center in the secondary like Hungarian, Rumanian, Greeks etc etc, i dont want another German theater expansion, i want a new game.

About the Pakistan, part of india, Iran and Iraq wars... i think that the map would be boring to say the least, it would be a 999999x999999 square filled in desert hexagons with some cities here and there and some streams and rivers over there... but without strategic interest. (however i would buy it only for beeing a MC title Big Grin)

How many "island maps" has HPS done? Sicily '43 and Krete '41 IIRC , i don't have those games, but i'm sure that two island maps are not enough to say that island warfare is boring, however, why do you think that it's boring? you can create new scenarios, new invasion routes... etc.

About Greece & Turkey.. don't you think that USA, UK and even France would send some contingent to help the greeks and Turks? I think that yes, furthermore, i think that for climate and terrain similarity, the NATO would deploy Spanish troops in Greece rather than in Germany.

BTW: Who voted for Cuba 85??
01-22-2010, 01:32 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-22-2010, 01:34 AM by Xaver.)
And dont forget Malta Big Grin

I don like island wars but not with MC engine, in Taiwan you can find a modern version of Okinawa invasion but with great amounts of armor, you can see chinese troops breaking the defensive line and game is over chinese only sending infantry to Taiwan???, for Japan... the autodefense forces arent German army in the other MC titles and dont have landwer to add more canon fodder, only with a special design... adding militias or friend armies but MC games have an "historical" argument and China is more a continental power, i cant expect a heavy amphy assault.

For me is more interesting expanding MC 85 war to the south where you can find more interesting battles than in north where are small armies vs soviet troops.

PD: Cuba is a little psss add it to the series... we can see a boring game, few attackers vs a great number of defenders, for me in the 85 timeline is more a commando action but with heavy weapons, baia de Cochinos 2 Revenge of gringos??? LOL ;-)
01-22-2010, 02:47 AM,
(01-22-2010, 01:32 AM)Xaver Wrote: And dont forget Malta Big Grin

I don like island wars but not with MC engine, in Taiwan you can find a modern version of Okinawa invasion but with great amounts of armor, you can see chinese troops breaking the defensive line and game is over chinese only sending infantry to Taiwan???, for Japan... the autodefense forces arent German army in the other MC titles and dont have landwer to add more canon fodder, only with a special design... adding militias or friend armies but MC games have an "historical" argument and China is more a continental power, i cant expect a heavy amphy assault.

For me is more interesting expanding MC 85 war to the south where you can find more interesting battles than in north where are small armies vs soviet troops.

PD: Cuba is a little psss add it to the series... we can see a boring game, few attackers vs a great number of defenders, for me in the 85 timeline is more a commando action but with heavy weapons, baia de Cochinos 2 Revenge of gringos??? LOL ;-)

About Taiwan.. i'm sure that the PLA has plans to invade it, and i'm sure that in those plans are involved more than one armoured division...

According to wikipedia:

wikipedia Wrote:Tactical organization

The GSDF consists of the following tactical units:

* one (the 7th) armored division,
* nine infantry divisions, reduced from 12, each with three or four battalion-sized infantry regiments,
* one airborne brigade,
* two (1st and 2nd) combined brigades,
* four training brigades,
* one artillery brigade with two groups,
* two air defense brigades with three groups,
* one helicopter brigade with twenty-four squadrons and two anti-tank helicopter platoons.

There are two sizes of JGSDF divisions: 9,000 men and 7,000 men.

A JGSDF brigade is a combined arms unit with infantry, armored, and artillery units, combat support units and logistical support units. It is a regionally independent and permanent entity. Though its function is similar to a division in that it possesses the capability to engage in operations on one front, it is smaller with only 3,000 to 4,000 personnel.
[edit] Special Forces

Special Forces units consist of the following:

* CRF: Central Readiness Force (中央即応集団 Chūō Sokuō Shūdan): Nerima, Tokyo
o SOG: Special Operations Group (特殊作戦群 Tokushu Sakusen Gun)
o 1st Airborne Brigade
o 1st Helicopter Brigade
* Western Army Infantry Regiment (西部方面普通科連隊 Seibu Hōmen Futsū-ka Rentai)
* Rangers

I think that's enough forces and i'm also sure that the Japanese Government could obtain more militias.
About the invasion to Japan... if they launch the allied forces from South Korea to the sea, then they can because the southern coast of Korea is really closer to Japan than the chinese controlled Taiwan strait islands from the Taiwanese main coast. So it would be easier for their navy to reach Japan than to reach Taiwan.

I also think that Greece & Turkey would be interesting, but i prefer Scandinavia first, simply because i want to see some mountainous arctic action.

About Cuba... their army wasn't as bad as you think, at least in the 80s, they had WP standard equipment (T-72) a lot of older tanks like the T-55 and some of their units had combat experience due to the intervention in Angola and their special forces were trained by the Nationale Volksarmee.
And they could also add a sub scenario covering the invasion of Nicaragua, which is a very small country! Big Grin
01-22-2010, 04:01 AM,
(01-21-2010, 07:18 AM)bwv Wrote: seriously then, how about a 1969 USSR - PRC large scale Yalu River confrontation?

That would certainly seem to fit the criteria for the series, large land mass, lots of forces involved etc. I would probably buy it!
01-22-2010, 05:04 AM,
(01-22-2010, 04:01 AM)James Ward Wrote:

That would certainly seem to fit the criteria for the series, large land mass, lots of forces involved etc. I would probably buy it!

Then the battle should be Russian Federation vs PRC, not USSR vs PRC in the 1985 storyline.

And about the forces... yes it's true that there would be a huge amount of forces involved, but both sides had the same doctrine and almost identical weaponry.
01-22-2010, 05:29 AM,
(01-22-2010, 05:04 AM)P.Ako Wrote:

Then the battle should be Russian Federation vs PRC, not USSR vs PRC in the 1985 storyline.

And about the forces... yes it's true that there would be a huge amount of forces involved, but both sides had the same doctrine and almost identical weaponry.

Then it would be decided by the Commanders skill!Big Grin
01-22-2010, 05:31 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-22-2010, 05:47 AM by Xaver.)
Well, if i dont like Cuba85 is because i think that cuban army is strong for the time, i dont see USA sending A quality troops to Cuba, well, i dont see USA sending troops to Cuba if Cuba dont attack they, another baia de Cochinos but now with USA soldiers :whis:

Japan... well, if China attacks i think that they do it near Tokio, heavy urban warfare (more urban density than in Germany) and urban warfare+MC...

Taiwan... well, is a good objetive for China but i think that a North Korean defeat is more important because China Navy VS USA Navy... you know, 25-75 i think.

For Scandinavia... i dont know how work mountain+few troops, i prefer the south front with armies similar in all aspects, more attractive for me at least.

85 timeline need a little consistence and go to the north or soutn Danube are good choices and more easy Big Grin
01-22-2010, 06:12 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-22-2010, 06:18 AM by P.Ako.)
(01-22-2010, 05:29 AM)James Ward Wrote:
(01-22-2010, 05:04 AM)P.Ako Wrote:

Then it would be decided by the Commanders skill!Big Grin

I would not like to be on the worst commander side then...

(01-22-2010, 05:31 AM)Xaver Wrote: Well, if i dont like Cuba85 is because i think that cuban army is strong for the time, i dont see USA sending A quality troops to Cuba, well, i dont see USA sending troops to Cuba if Cuba dont attack they, another baia de Cochinos but now with USA soldiers :whis:

Japan... well, if China attacks i think that they do it near Tokio, heavy urban warfare (more urban density than in Germany) and urban warfare+MC...

Taiwan... well, is a good objetive for China but i think that a North Korean defeat is more important because China Navy VS USA Navy... you know, 25-75 i think.

For Scandinavia... i dont know how work mountain+few troops, i prefer the south front with armies similar in all aspects, more attractive for me at least.

85 timeline need a little consistence and go to the north or soutn Danube are good choices and more easy Big Grin

I agree with you in almost every point, except in two points.

First, about the chinese navy, yes it is worst than the USA navy and yes, it was outnumbered, but in the 80s they had enough ships to control the access from Chinese mainland to Taiwan (IE, the Taiwan strait)

Second: You say that in the southern front the armies were "similar in all aspects". Well, considering that the forces involved would be Bulgarians + Romanians + Albanians (they were formally in the WP) vs the Greek army one of the best armies in europe, and the Turkish army... the armies would not be similar in all aspects and the WP forces would need a lot of help from the Soviets.

Don't get me wrong, i would buy, play and probably like any of those titles and i would also like to conquer Wien or defend it but i think that, as you said, the series need a new scenario, that's why i understand that if they set a new game in asia with a new map... the it would be really and trully cool.
:cool2: <-- Cooler than this one, actually.

Edit: I forgot it. About Cuba... i think that the US army has enough NG divisions to send there and maybe a marine division. They are not precisely A quality troops.. and, furthermore, one of the allied in the zone was and still is nowadays, is Colombia, which could also send troops.