• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

The Advantage Slide
01-19-2010, 01:38 PM,
RE: The Advantage Slide
Just out of curiosity, anyone ever allow their opponent to use it to handicap a game? I assume that's why it was included in Talonsoft's version year's ago, but for the life of me I can't remember anyone ever mentioning actually using it (legitimately of course).
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
01-19-2010, 03:55 PM,
(01-19-2010, 01:38 PM)Scud Wrote: Just out of curiosity, anyone ever allow their opponent to use it to handicap a game? I assume that's why it was included in Talonsoft's version year's ago, but for the life of me I can't remember anyone ever mentioning actually using it (legitimately of course).

Yes Dave, - I've used it 162 times. Unfortunately, I slid it the in the wrong direction, hence my numerous losses!:rolleyes:
regards
Peter
01-19-2010, 10:11 PM,
Just because you’re paranoid doesn’t mean they’re not out to get you!

I do not see how someone cheating would last very long in a small community like this?

Is there a history of cheating in the CS Ladder or is this people being just cautious about the issue?
Visit us at CSLegion.com
01-20-2010, 05:25 AM,
Yikes! Eek

Vigilance?
It works. :scare:

cheers

HSL
01-20-2010, 06:12 AM,
I can not find old posts on this topic, but I'm pretty sure that the slide does not work in h2h games, even if the slide appears to have moved.

Really, before additional time is spent on this topic, Jason Petho or someone else at Matrix needs to confirm whether the advantage slide even affects h2h games. My recollection is that it does not, but I can not cite to any authority at this time. Also, FWIW, my memory might apply to the original CS and not JTCS.

Otherwise, this is bordering on paranoia and not vigilance IMO. :)
01-20-2010, 06:44 AM,
LOL!
Maybe I misspoke?

Let the players be more "aware", may be a better phrase? Big Grin

Here is a cut and paste from the game manual:

"The Advantage Bar at the bottom of the AI Selection screen allows you to balance play between two players of unequal skill or to balance play against the AI. To set an Advantage, hold down the left mouse button over the slider Bar control and move it to the left or right (the keyboard’s arrow keys can also be used to adjust the advantage). Advantage values can range from 0 to 100 for either side. Depending on the value you set, the side with an advantage will inflict higher than normal combat losses on the other side and suffer lower than normal combat losses themselves. Advantage must be set before play begins in E-Mail, Modem Play, and Two-Player Hot Seat games. Otherwise, the Advantage can be adjusted at any time during the game."

It does apply to e-mail games. A simple "look see" is not a problem? :smoke:

cheers

HSL
01-20-2010, 06:58 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-20-2010, 07:01 AM by Guderian.)
Wow Ed. Thank you for finding the cite in the manual. I knew I should've read the manual before posting! :)

That settles it for me. Will try and remember to check slider in all future games. Can't believe I didn't know this all this time. LOL.

Thank god you are my team mate!
01-20-2010, 08:04 AM,
Exactly! Not being paranoid, just think it should be implemeted in the new patch to have a warning displayed when it is used?
The apparent thing here is that most people were blissfully unaware that, it may have been used in games they've played in the past, me included.
As in the 'turns saved' facility, it can prevent cheating but many people save time and again, as per previous threads highlights without cheating.
I personally think this 'slider' issue require more monitoring than 'turns saved' does?
regards
Peter
01-20-2010, 08:14 AM,
Its something I brought up with Ed, MR Roadrunner about a year ago. I was wanting to use the slider to even up winning precentages between players to see if it would make the games closer between players of vastly different percentages. It was just a thought to see if maybe players would stick around longer. The player with the slide advantage wouldn't get as many points for winning as the player, playing with the disadvantage would for being able to win against the odds.

And no I haven't messed with it just look at how poorly I'm playing that should speak for itself.

Chuck
01-20-2010, 09:21 AM,
I think I can recall once that someone used it without their opponent realizing it until well into the game... AND that was over a decade ago... However, I personally don't think its something that occurs very often... If at all...

It is something that can be obvious if you look at it which is why I doubt it is ever used in an inappropriate manner...

Regards,

Jim