• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

The Advantage Slide
01-19-2010, 03:18 AM,
RE: The Advantage Slide
I had one PBEM game where I was getting the short end of almost every combat result, and just for peace of mind, checked the slider....... To my surprise it was set to my opponents advantage. I have not had any problems since. I do check it when starting a new match.

Rob
Quote this message in a reply
01-19-2010, 03:36 AM,
Luckily, I don't worry about the ladder myself, just play the odd game as time permits, Rob.
As scud mentioned previous threads about cheating, where the 'slider' never came into it, I just wonder what other club members think, now this has come out of the woodwork?
My personal opinion is, it brings ladder results into question. I've played over 200 games I think and have never checked the slider in any of them. Multiply those games by a number of members games and, how many games played have never been checked?
WOW!
regards
Peter
01-19-2010, 04:15 AM,
Trust me if the advantage slide is set in your opponents favor it will become very obvious before too many turns......I suspect 99.9% of the ladder results are fine.
We don't need another option from the designers. It takes about 2 seconds to check the slide during your first turn......or any turn after that....best bet....if you feel you have to check the slide probably not an opponent you would want to play anyway :-)

VE
"The secret to success is not just doing the things you enjoy but rather enjoying everything that you do."
01-19-2010, 04:33 AM,
(01-19-2010, 04:15 AM)Von Earlmann Wrote: Trust me if the advantage slide is set in your opponents favor it will become very obvious before too many turns......I suspect 99.9% of the ladder results are fine.
We don't need another option from the designers. It takes about 2 seconds to check the slide during your first turn......or any turn after that....best bet....if you feel you have to check the slide probably not an opponent you would want to play anyway :-)

VE

I agree with your comments VE, but, how many games have been played like me, 200+ and only just discovered this?
Hopefully your assessment of 99% are correct.
I personally think, if games saved is recorded as a safety item from cheating, then the same should be applied to the slider?
Remember, there are many newbies who would not be aware of this.
As for opponents you probably would not play, my original post as to how many of them have we played quite innocently as novices?
regards
Peter
01-19-2010, 05:53 AM,
I gave that some thought Peter and then decided that there wasn't much that could be done about it, so I'll just suck it up and figure that all my opponents that started a PBEM game were as ignorant as I was in regard to the advantage slide.

I will do some checking versus new opponents in the future.

Pat

Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

01-19-2010, 06:10 AM,
There is no point in going backwards on this...it would likely involving starting the ladders from scratch. I have played nearly 400 games and never given the slide a thought, as far as I recall. Neither have others here.

That said, if number of saves need be counted, I suggest strongly that the slide position be indicated.
01-19-2010, 06:21 AM,
This topic was discussed many times in the past.
The slider is an obvious "cheat" ... if you let your opponent get away with it? ;)

Seems like mentioning it now will make players more alert? :smoke:

cheers

HSL
01-19-2010, 06:42 AM,
(01-19-2010, 06:10 AM)K K Rossokolski Wrote: There is no point in going backwards on this...it would likely involving starting the ladders from scratch. I have played nearly 400 games and never given the slide a thought, as far as I recall. Neither have others here.

That said, if number of saves need be counted, I suggest strongly that the slide position be indicated.

True Rod, I also would say that the slide position must be implemented in future. Sure, nothing can be done about the past, re the ladders, but as I said, the ladders don't bother me anyway.
regards
Peter
01-19-2010, 07:00 AM,
I've never checked the slider either, but as stated the past is the past and I guess we will never know if someone has used it to cheat.
I do however think if possible the issue should be addressed in future one way or another just to set everyones mind to rest.

Gordoncheers
01-19-2010, 07:12 AM,
Are we not a group of trusting individuals Big Grin

Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy :P

I don't think the slide needs to be an option, but I do think it needs to be addressed in a manner that alerts an opponent when it has been moved.

Of course, there is no need for notification if the slide has been moved in my favor Toast

Pat

Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.