• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

The Advantage Slide
01-20-2010, 09:50 AM,
RE: The Advantage Slide
(01-19-2010, 03:55 PM)glint Wrote:
(01-19-2010, 01:38 PM)Scud Wrote: Just out of curiosity, anyone ever allow their opponent to use it to handicap a game? I assume that's why it was included in Talonsoft's version year's ago, but for the life of me I can't remember anyone ever mentioning actually using it (legitimately of course).

Yes Dave, - I've used it 162 times. Unfortunately, I slid it the in the wrong direction, hence my numerous losses!:rolleyes:
regards
Peter

HA!! Uh, yeah, me too.

Dave
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
01-20-2010, 05:35 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-20-2010, 06:07 PM by Crossroads.)
(01-20-2010, 08:04 AM)glint Wrote: [clip] ... Not being paranoid, ... [clip]

Just to make sure I am not misunderstood I would like to emphasize that I was absolutely not indicating of any you fine individuals being paranoid. I am sorry if it might have appeared that way.

The famous quote just popped into my head as I was thinking of various ways some one might try to cheat and get away in this fine game...

I am glad to have learned that cheating has not been an issue here.

cheers
Visit us at CSLegion.com
01-21-2010, 01:20 AM,
I wasn't really concerned about cheating when I brought this subject up. 99% of my losses have been to members that are simply better Generals than I and the other 1% due to some major miscalculations.

I wanted to know how the slide worked and that has been explained. I wanted to know if a competitor could determine whether the slide had been moved and that has been answered.

However, as previously mentioned, the slide might be used by a newer member in a most innocent manner. Perhaps moving the slide to favor their side thinking that this is the proper thing to do and that their opponent will move the slide to favor them and thereby balance the scenario?

Except for games versus the totally ignorant AI, I see no purpose to the slide since balancing a game between players of different experience and talent can be done by chosing a particular scenario.

I am pleased to note that hardly anyone that has responded to this thread has ever given any thought to the slide!

Pat

Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

01-21-2010, 03:13 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-21-2010, 03:16 AM by Kool Kat.)
Gents:

Honestly, I only remember "fiddling around" with the Advantage Slider when I first learned CS many years ago... and it was solo play versus the AI. :cool2:

I forgot about it once all my CS play went to PBeM... I think maybe a lot of us select our PBeM optional rules and set-up in an automatic, out of habit manner? For me, it's always all optional rules = ON except Extreme Assault and Variable Visibility... don't even look at the Advantage Slider.

And I agree with others who stated that the Blitz, for the vast majority of gamers, is a "Cheat Free" zone! cheers
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
01-21-2010, 04:53 AM,
Crossroads - just checked the thread and no, the paranoia wasn't your comment that I referred to, so no worries.
I just think that it is something that should be a 'warning' implemented in the new patch. Just my opinion!
regards
Peter