• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

3d graphics..........
01-10-2010, 06:05 AM,
3d graphics..........
It appears there are only a couple of titles with 3d graphics. Why are they missing from the other titles and if there is a patch that brings it in, where can that be found?

Thanks
Quote this message in a reply
01-10-2010, 09:51 AM,
RE: 3d graphics..........
There are 3. It was planned to add them to all but a thread over at wargamer says it is a low priority.
What do I know about legal stuff and programming but once they got added to the Proud and the Few you would think the programming would be copy and paste. The graphics seem the same as the Tiller/Talonsoft/Matrix Campaign Series and you'd think Tiller could use them in the HPS games.
I'm not buying until I see them. I'm broke anyway so take your time, lol. And digital download too so my wife doesn't know, lol.
01-16-2010, 01:12 AM,
I would think having 3d view in SBs would be a high priority as it is more important in a game of that scale than any other. You can se the terrain for such a small scale units, it's the best way to play those games. They should have been in all the titles to begin with, but why it wasn't done, don't know.

I would also love to see HPS go a step further with a new series and make one to the scale of individual soldiers, actually be able to enter buildings, room to room, up and down stairs. I'm sure there are probably plenty of people that coulod do it, but HPS is one I would trust to do a good job. I see people out there like VM that make corrections, changes or improvements to the games which makes it even better as a whole, but HPS is where it starts for the most part. That's part of the reason I own so many titles. I know I get shot down by Glenn or somebody else at times, but it's not like they are telling me to shut or or else.....even if I say the same thing several times over a period of time, they take the time to read and respond, another total plus.

Hats off to these guys!
01-16-2010, 11:35 AM,
I started PC wargaming with Sid Meier's Gettysburg, Close Combat, Command and Conquer, Starcraft. Then got too old for RTS. Steel Panthers for years then Combat Mission. I'm having trouble seeing little icons and don't like counters. Also flat terrain graphics don't help with reading terrain height. JTCS does a good job in 3D mode with isometric units and stepped terrain. But I would like a squad level version. SB might be it if only the 3D mode was available.
01-17-2010, 02:45 AM,
The thing I noticed about SBs is when you put a squad in a village hex with a half dozen buildings, in reality, you could put your squad in one building, plit into fire teams into two buildings or go the buddy system posting two guys in four or fivr buildings. In Squad Leader, you could move a squad upstairs for better los, can't do that in SBs as far as I know. Regardless of anything I may see and point out, I can only speak for myself, as far as PzCs, MCs, ACW, CS and SBs I haven't enjoyed wargaming as much as I have with these games and I throw ideas out there thinking they are good and hope at some point one or more may actually be used and most if not everybody likes it. Other than playing, it's the only way I am able to try and contribute to the Blitz community. So unless I am told to stop, I will keep trying to come up with ideas. My ideas are mostly fed off of other things I see. Apparently my brain has a mind of it's own....DOH!
01-18-2010, 04:39 AM,
(01-17-2010, 02:45 AM)Outlaw Josey Wales Wrote: The thing I noticed about SBs is when you put a squad in a village hex with a half dozen buildings, in reality, you could put your squad in one building, plit into fire teams into two buildings or go the buddy system posting two guys in four or fivr buildings. In Squad Leader, you could move a squad upstairs for better los, can't do that in SBs as far as I know. Regardless of anything I may see and point out, I can only speak for myself, as far as PzCs, MCs, ACW, CS and SBs I haven't enjoyed wargaming as much as I have with these games and I throw ideas out there thinking they are good and hope at some point one or more may actually be used and most if not everybody likes it. Other than playing, it's the only way I am able to try and contribute to the Blitz community. So unless I am told to stop, I will keep trying to come up with ideas. My ideas are mostly fed off of other things I see. Apparently my brain has a mind of it's own....DOH!

Keep throwing ideas out there. Folks like Rich Hamilton from HPS do frequent the forum, so it's good to throw ideas out there, even if you think they are off-the-wall.

The key thing to remember, though, is that for every big idea, a substantial amount of work would have to go into it on the programming side. Given that wargaming is a niche market, and most games aren't exactly pulling down the bucks like Halo, there's always a finite amount of development dollars to spend...
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
01-18-2010, 05:24 AM,
Like I said, I don't know the legalities and work involved but...
I'm not thrilled with having to buy a stack of CDs to get a series of the same game. I would consider buying some of the titles once I see them all in 3D. I'm not going to buy one that doesn't interest me much, just to see the 3D and if I like the game engine at all.
Yes they would be giving the current owners something for nothing but it might create interest amongst new buyers like me. I do like the fact that they still update the series and backwards compat the improvements to older titles. Kudos for that.
01-18-2010, 10:46 AM,
What about a Halo mod? That would be a blast. They don't all have to be historical, especially since SB is pretty easy to mod. If only I had any artistic skills....

I'm a hussar, I'm a Hun,  I'm a wretched Englishman
Routing Bonaparte at Waterloo
I'm a dragoon on a dun, I'm a Cossack on the run
I'm a horse soldier, timeless, through and through

Corb Lund - Horse Soldier, Horse Soldier