• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Allied units in F'40
01-13-2010, 10:21 AM,
RE: Allied units in F'40
An issue I have with France 40 is the representation of German Panzers. Total Panzers were 523 Panzer I, 955 Panzer II, 349 Panzer III, 278 Panzer IV, 106 Panzer 35(t) and 228 Panzer 38(t).

Panzer I and II were basically useless against french tanks. The others useless agains Somaus and Char Bs. I understand the need to reduce unit density in such a large game, but I feel the abstracted combined German Panzer companies mask the weak firepower of the German Panzer force.

For a great read, se K-H Frieser's The Blitzkrieg Legend[/u]
Quote this message in a reply
01-13-2010, 12:45 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-13-2010, 12:46 PM by SnowBlue.)
Yeah but the game models more of an abstract damage model where a loss of one tank can just mean that it got its thread blown off. At least I think. One thing that I find more odd is the idea of Soviets in early war using their tanks against German infantry as an effective tactic.
01-14-2010, 03:59 AM,
FM WarB Wrote:For a great read, se K-H Frieser's The Blitzkrieg Legend[/u]

Actually this book is one of the primary sources used in the PzC France 40 design.

If you line up your tanks in a row and I will line up my tanks opposite in a ballistics test, yes the German tanks were much inferior. This is an operational game. The French had many deficits that are modeled in the tank warfare of the France 40 game.
  • lack of radios
  • Commanders in dual roles of gunner and commanding the tank or group of tanks
  • penny packet distribution of French tanks
  • speed - French tanks were geared low to not not outrun their infantry
  • Close co-operation between panzer units and the Luftwaffe
I could go on, but this should illustrate the point. you do not control what is going on at the tactical level in the hexes where contact is made. Thus we have to assume the Germans armor leaders are using greater numbers, speed, flanking the French monsters etc.
The French had problems, like the Russians, of crews abandoning perfectly good vehicles because the crews thought they were in trouble, while other fought well to the death.

So it is doctrine that is being modeled at the tactical level and not the hardware versus hardware all other things being equal argument in the PzC game system. The German doctrine at the tactical level was far superior. The Blitzkrieg Legend book does not deny this.

Now put your French tanks in villages with TRENCH supported by infantry and covered by artillery. You will then see an marked improvement against German tank attacks sent in to disrupt you.
Fight in the open against swarms of the German tanks, and you will be defeated. The French armor is too slow to fight a tank duel in the open with the German armor of 1940.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
01-14-2010, 04:47 AM,
I would even add that the 2 only French tank worth it in France 40 are the Somua (fast and good hard attack & defense rating) and the B1bis (good defense and soft rating).
Send this user an email
01-14-2010, 05:29 AM,
Oui, David.
I would remind folks not to confuse the Cha1Bis with the T-34. The French monster had some weak spots the Germans found fairly quickly in the F40 campaign. At Stonne the GD regiment was knocking out the Chars with the 37mm door knocker ATGs. Not so much in 1941 when they ran into the T-34.

Trying to use Chars the same as you have with your T-34 units on the EF will lead to disaster.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp