• redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Wired Bridge rule question for Glenn.
01-06-2010, 04:09 AM,
RE: Wired Bridge rule question for Glenn.
Happy New Year everyone

Having been involved in the debate prior to Darrans initial post above, the issue for me was that the "non-wired" side could actually blow bridges manually.

I've been playing F40 since it came out, and was not aware that the Germans (or the "non-wired" side in other titles) had that facility -

We thought it would be worth bringing to the table for the attention of other players in the community.

cheers

Chris
Quote this message in a reply
01-06-2010, 04:53 AM,
I think that the current implementation might be correct and intentional, but the problem is that the manual will be clarified. Glenn will have to say more on it later, but I was just letting everyone know before the discussion goes too far south. ;)
Send this user an email
01-06-2010, 07:12 AM,
Volcano Man Wrote:
Vaevictis Wrote:In Stalingrad 42 Wintergewitter scenario the Russian ability to blow bridges is vital, and makes for some nail biting moments. I'm glad the wired works only one way in that case.

I guess it all depends on which side you are playing as to whether or not it is "fair" or not, and it is not like the Russians need any more assistance in S42 campaign either (which is what I was referring to). :P

I have played that scenario and it is very balanced based on the Russians being able to demolish those bridges. If the decision was to take that ability away scenarios such as these would become unbalanced.
01-06-2010, 10:14 AM,
Volcano Man Wrote:I think that the curI sprent implementation might be correct and intentional, but the problem is that the manual will be clarified. Glenn will have to say more on it later, but I was just letting everyone know before the discussion goes too far south. ;)

Guys:

I spoke to John and basically here is the scoop.

In all PZC/MC games, the non-triggering side is prevented from manually damaging bridges when the wired bridge feature is in effect. The triggering side is allowed to manually damage bridges.

It requires a change the documentation (PZC/MC) to reflect the situation as was designed and as the code currently works.

We'll ammend the manually accordingly and when I get the revision I will post a ZIP for folks to download.

Glenn
Send this user an email
01-06-2010, 03:09 PM,
Just as a matter of perspective for those who do not have the entire series, of the 17 PzC games currently published only four have the WIRED bridge feature discussed in this thread.
They are...

France 40
Stalingrad 42
Market Garden 44
Minsk 44

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
01-07-2010, 06:45 AM,
fortunately at least i have some of 'em!
---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ----
01-08-2010, 02:32 PM,
In F40 as the Allies it seem wrong that I cannot manually try and blow up a bridge once it was not automatically destroyed by the gremans, this has happened several times. My engineers just sit and watch an intact bridge until the germans advance over it.

I would also like to be able to attempt to destroy one side pontoon bridges that the gremans build but do not advance over for some turns.

Peter777
01-08-2010, 05:38 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-08-2010, 05:39 PM by Dog Soldier.)
Peter,

In F40
Shoot your commander for allowing the engineers to be site seeing. Ever try laying mines on your side of the bridges you can not blow up? It will not stop them, only delay and cost them as you shoot the guys in the mines. But blowing up a bridge in F40 is only a speed bump for the German army anyway. They have many bidge engineers. You would tyhink they planned it that way...

No pontoon bridges in F40...so in other titles...
One hex pontoon bridges can not be blown up as you say. But the engineers who built it are not always large units. they can even be in open terrain. And if breaking them is not an option, blocking your side of the bridge, see above, can leave the owner of the bridge feeling very vulnerable in "T" mode sitting on the bridge.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
01-08-2010, 09:12 PM,
Hi Dog

You are right blowing bridges has only be a minor delay on the germans.

I have tired mines.

I have tired rubbled built up areas.

I have tried defending bridge hexs.

These also only have a limited impact / delay on the German blitz.

But any delays are good for the Allies.

Peter777