• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Hey Scud
01-03-2010, 04:41 AM,
RE: Hey Scud
Scud Wrote:That being said, and as a former moderator, MrRR, can attest to, I don't have it within my power to arbitrarily ban anyone. I MUST go through the senior officers. I state my request and give my reasons. Any site officer can chime in and give thier feedback. In the end though, yes, so far senior managers have agreed with my assessment or have disagreed, but said it's my call. My call wasn't always for a ban either, but to give someone another chance. By the way, the really bad posts aren't deleted, they're just rendered invisible to the general public.

I will attest to this. Very much the power is in the hands of senior leaders to issue bans.

Scud Wrote:There were two suspensions doled out in the final days of 2009. Neither were for violation of the new rules, Ed has been misinformed on this. The five-day appeal rule was waved by me immediately upon receiving the the violators request and explanation. If the new rules had been in effect, his appeal directly to Jim would have cost him more than thirty days. The other suspension was not appealed. The violator knew what he did and has voiced his personal regrets to me several times.

I do then stand corrected. It was my understanding that a ban of 30 days (as per the newest CS specific rules) was issued and upon appeal 5 more was tacked on (per the new rules) by the ladder commander.
I know that banning notices have date and time stamps. From experience. :rolleyes:
At the time I could see my own. I cannot see anyone elses. ;)

Scud Wrote:I think you guys need to get over the feeling of walking on eggshells. Rudolph states that in eleven years he's never had a problem with the mods. These rules won't change that. Some of you, no names of course, have had some problems with myself and with other site officers. Some of you have a history that goes back to before my membership start time. These rules might have an effect on how you post and for that all I can say is I hope so.

Actually, I feel like it is walking on eggshells. The subjective nature of the forum specific rules create that feeling. And, if it can be said, those last three sentences are very telling? Hopefully the new rules are really not here to specifically target "some" while allowing "others" a free pass?

Scud Wrote:Relax. You know the difference. You've been displaying it post after post right here.

:bow::zzz: Safe and restful! :smoke:

cheers

RR
Quote this message in a reply
01-03-2010, 05:06 AM,
Larry Reese Wrote:We need to ship a couple of hundred thousand Mandarin copies of CS to them...

LR

Why bother?....I'm sure they'll pirate them if they want to.
01-03-2010, 05:13 AM,
K K Rossokolski Wrote:
Larry Reese Wrote:We need to ship a couple of hundred thousand Mandarin copies of CS to them...

LR

Why bother?....I'm sure they'll pirate them if they want to.

Rod, that's a good one! :grin2:

cheers

RR
01-03-2010, 06:05 AM,
Scud Wrote:The second violator, to date and to my present knowledge, has not agreed to Jim's conditions, so his suspension remains in place. Don't read anything into that. Jim might be away or the other guy might not have checked email, dunno.

I've been informed that Jim's terms had been agreed to. Sorry about that, I just hadn't been told. He's currently waiting for Jim to reinstate him. Jim may be traveling, so he'll have to be a little more patient, but I'll mention it to the other officers. Unfortunately, since this is Jim's call, I'm not sure they can proceed until they have the go ahead from him.
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
01-03-2010, 11:57 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-10-2010, 03:35 AM by Jim von Krieg.)
Hey Scud

As former mod in the good old days of Wild West Blitz Saloon I wish you and Toni good luck in this stage of moderation.

Personally after seeing the life get sucked out this forum during middle of decade with Rule 20 Taliban rulings coupled with all egotistical backstabbing going on behind the scenes which culminated in very shabby treatment of BlitzCanuck I gave up on the forum.

Far as Im concerned Toni and yourself in recent times have brought the forum back to being a far better open and fairer environment to post in, however there always a price to be paid for more open forum
and those who put their egos before everything else will always spoil it for the rest

As 1999 blitzer I would find it rather amusing that this forum survived the death threats of Blackwolf, inane ramblings of IM Wittmann, the real life horror of Sep 11 and festering sore that became CE forum and many other non life threatening but forum emergencies of highest order. In those days insults were traded, forum got overheated though funny enough you didnt have as many bannings, walk aways, posts disappearing or being edited and this never ending rule angst.

Probably IMO because you could call a spade a spade in those days without fear of being told off as you may offend a small child who may have been looking over a shoulder of a father ....

Bring in your rules those who dont like it like Rudolf can walk away from forum like I did myself. As long as you moderate in fair fashion and remember you cant please everyone you should be fine.
Besides as that old guard Von Earl himself says who going to care in a hundred years
244 games with legend that is Richie61
01-03-2010, 12:43 PM,
When I first came here, the forum I thought was one of best I've seen.Now lately it's been going down a steep decline.The mod's were very cool, and seemed everyone had respect for each other.

Now it seems, the forum has gone into a free-for-all.I've never seen so many people banned from a forum in my life.
01-03-2010, 07:37 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-03-2010, 08:02 PM by Stryker.)
Hey Scud....

I'll agree with what Laza said, since you and Toni took over as mods here, things have been cool... I thought you were doing a good job.... don't lose it :)

I now know what this is all about, and why you've felt it necessary to bring the new rules in. I still don't agree with them, they still annoy me, but I understand.... I would say however, that you can't say "if you're a good guy they don't apply to you" - because, by definition, they do.

So if it's all the same to you guys who run the place, I'll continue playing my games, and stay off the forums. I never wanted to get involved anyway.. unneccessary rules just piss me off... that's all.

good luck with it
01-04-2010, 07:37 AM,
Ok guys,

It is all straightened out now. I am going to move ahead. Please join me.

To those who have supported me I say thank you. It meant alot.

To those who have not supported me I say thank you. Excercising your voice is one of the greatest gifts a man has.

These rules shall pass quickly and quietly.

Thanx!

Hawk
01-04-2010, 08:22 AM,
I've been on the road out of touch for a couple of weeks, so belated best wishes for 2010 to all here.

Home now, I have read the thread and the new rules, and frankly...if I dare use this term.....I am appalled. I've been here for a long time, and this forum used to be a pretty entertaining and informative place to be. Rough and tumble, sure, but it was, after all, the discussion board of a wargaming club for grown-ups, not the PC-driven debating society of an exclusive finishing school for young ladies.

What started this?...the very long thread on game scale springs to my mind. Two totally opposing camps got nasty and childish. Command attention was ineffective. Even when it was blindingly obvious no solution was possible, people found new ways to be obnoxious. I was as guilty as any, and for that I now formally apologise to the club. One of those occasions, common in human history, where a group lapses into insanity. I believe we had collectively learned from this, and most of us who participated felt some shame. I did. Seemed from where I sit, just about everybody was trying hard to improve things

But rule #20 ain't enough. Need to spell it out in fine detail, children.. Well, good luck in applying rules based on subjective terms such as "sarcasm" "aggressive" and "argumentative". And I suppose I am too fond of democracy to accept the idea of an extra penalty for appealing a decision. As well, I guess I'm too used to "emergency" meaning flood, fire, toxic leak, fuel gauges on "E"..... silly stuff like that....... so it's good to know that saying "Boo" on a wargaming club message board is a REAL emergency.

The new rules will emasculate the MB. And they are presented and explained, I believe, in a manner which is a near perfect example of the supposed problem....insulting, demeaning, aggressive, threatening and confrontational etc.. Some people even consider the word "ba*ta*d" to be foul language. Do as I say, not as I do.... never a leadership style that, in my experience, worked very well

I don't plan to resign, because I have made a commitment to produce a suite of scenarios, both exotic and mainstream. Therefore I will post only in that context, and may need to ask a question on computers. These single posts will be brief and factual. Apart from those two specific subjects, I withdraw from the MB for all other matters for the foreseeable future. Anyone wants to talk to [email protected]

Good luck
01-07-2010, 12:13 PM,
Laza Wrote::stir:

ROFLMAO
Best fiction I've read in years :whis:
------------

On the subject matter....
The past remains the present, dissent and disgust are the only things that persevered here. The only solution is to reeducate and hope that the program is accepted by a large enough faction to survive and grow upon.

Negativity spawns defeat, adapt and overcome the willingness to give in and revolt. New ideas are always frowned upon, their value is only realized after the 1st hurdle is cleared. Dwelling on the past and using it to foster argument only limits the paradigm we need to change.

Demonstrating the ability to converse amongst ourselves without the extracurricular anal-isms is the 1st step towards the relaxation and eventual cessation of the hardcore limits. Not participating leaves one to wonder just where the problem was.

change is happening, come, be a part of it.. you might actually enjoy it.
cheers
Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us.... "We were never to say die or surrender" -- Chard