• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Tiller Con III Announced
01-04-2010, 04:11 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-04-2010, 04:12 PM by Panzer VI.)
RE: Tiller Con III Announced
Definitely want to see Musket and Pike.This game is fantastic and an instant classic in my book.

Question: This is FOR SURE happening right?I'm on the West Coast so it's going to be a whole trip to be there.I don't want to go all that way just to have it canceled.
Quote this message in a reply
01-04-2010, 04:33 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-05-2010, 04:42 AM by Glenn Saunders.)
Panzer VI Wrote:Question: This is FOR SURE happening right?I'm on the West Coast so it's going to be a whole trip to be there.I don't want to go all that way just to have it canceled.

I would say YES it is. There has been two Tillercons previously and this one is combined with another group to share costs. Looks like the cost of hosting the event will be reduced as a result, so while nothing is certain in life, I think it is fair to start planning.

I haven't booked and paid for my flight yet but that is because I am still looking for the best fligths and best price because like you, I am a long way from Nashville.

Glenn
Send this user an email
01-05-2010, 02:55 PM,
It is too bad that they picked Tennessee :hissy: to have the program at. Kansas City was too far away and as long as they don't come out west I guess I will never go. Maybe next time.
01-05-2010, 03:05 PM,
It is put on by someone, or a group in an area, that volunteer to put it together, I believe. So no real picking, outside of someone volunteering to put it together. Maybe Dog Soldieer and I could do one in Denver in a few years!

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
01-05-2010, 03:06 PM,
Yea us on the "West Side" are getting screwed.Even Kansas City is better than Nashville, atleast I have relatives in Missouri to stay with and I don't have to fly as far.
01-05-2010, 04:49 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-05-2010, 04:53 PM by Glenn Saunders.)
Panzer VI Wrote:Yea us on the "West Side" are getting screwed.Even Kansas City is better than Nashville, atleast I have relatives in Missouri to stay with and I don't have to fly as far.

As Rick said guys - it isn't like anyone is picking locations. The first Tillercon was done by Rich Hamilton in Richmond. A great time but I have to tell you the venue was nothing like the second one. It was an old Bingo\Convention haul that looked like it was once an old Supermarket in the middle of no where

I can't recall who organized the second one but it was done with a lot of help from Rich and I recall he drove a Van loaded with PCs for the event from his home town in Richmond to Kansas - so once again there wouldn't have been a second event had it not been for someone to step up and do the venue and then Ric was also instrumental. And he said then he would never do it again. The venue for the second event was awesome - a major Downtown hotel\convention center and the room was not too large. And there was a bar where a fella could chat with buddies over a pop or two.

This time it is Rich Walker as the primary organizer and his idea is to piggyback on another event and share the costs. Rich Walke is a long time tester and designer of John Tiller Games - I know his name is n teh credits of Talonsoft Civil War titles where I started with John myself years ago. I also think Rich tested the East Front Series. But his real love is Civil War and his research into one of the HPS Titles was apparently amazing.

So once again, someone steps up and decides they want to put something on.

I guess the problem setting something up in the west is getting folks to attend as the GAMERS population density is not as great as in the east and when I say that keep in mind that a lot of the guys playing at these events are Civil War guys who come in wearing their hats. They sit at teh tables all night hooping it up and without any added stimulation either.

.... but that isn't to say it can't or won't be done somewhere closer to your own home out west.

Glenn
Send this user an email
01-05-2010, 10:01 PM,
As has been mentioned, the willingness to take the ball and run with it is lacking by anyone in the West. If someone wants to step up and start planning TC IV for 2012 then by all means do so...nothing saying it can't happen except the people who are willing to do the leg work.

If I were ever to do it again then it would be in Richmond again...too difficult to coordinate things long distance. But as the events come about I can be there to lend support in the way of sales, free games & tech support for the systems.
01-06-2010, 03:07 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-06-2010, 03:13 AM by Panzer VI.)
Glenn Saunders Wrote:
Panzer VI Wrote:Yea us on the "West Side" are getting screwed.Even Kansas City is better than Nashville, atleast I have relatives in Missouri to stay with and I don't have to fly as far.

As Rick said guys - it isn't like anyone is picking locations. The first Tillercon was done by Rich Hamilton in Richmond. A great time but I have to tell you the venue was nothing like the second one. It was an old Bingo\Convention haul that looked like it was once an old Supermarket in the middle of no where

I can't recall who organized the second one but it was done with a lot of help from Rich and I recall he drove a Van loaded with PCs for the event from his home town in Richmond to Kansas - so once again there wouldn't have been a second event had it not been for someone to step up and do the venue and then Ric was also instrumental. And he said then he would never do it again. The venue for the second event was awesome - a major Downtown hotel\convention center and the room was not too large. And there was a bar where a fella could chat with buddies over a pop or two.

This time it is Rich Walker as the primary organizer and his idea is to piggyback on another event and share the costs. Rich Walke is a long time tester and designer of John Tiller Games - I know his name is n teh credits of Talonsoft Civil War titles where I started with John myself years ago. I also think Rich tested the East Front Series. But his real love is Civil War and his research into one of the HPS Titles was apparently amazing.

So once again, someone steps up and decides they want to put something on.

I guess the problem setting something up in the west is getting folks to attend as the GAMERS population density is not as great as in the east and when I say that keep in mind that a lot of the guys playing at these events are Civil War guys who come in wearing their hats. They sit at teh tables all night hooping it up and without any added stimulation either.

.... but that isn't to say it can't or won't be done somewhere closer to your own home out west.

Glenn

So because the population density is more in East, you say forget the West.Fair Enough.It's not like I spent just as much money in Tiller Games as the guys in the East or anything...:rolleyes:

I would do it(It's not the work I'm afraid of), but I don't have the time or the money, let alone I don't know how to setup an event like this.
01-06-2010, 03:49 AM,
Panzer - as I clarified, the venues really had nothing to do with where customers lived - it was all about the people doing the leg work to set the event up. We have customers world wide, so you can never make everyone happy. And we do have people planning on flying in from the UK for it, and have at the past two as well.

Money is covered by ticket sales - if ticket sales don't cover it, it doesn't happen.

Know how - I help on the back end with the specifics of setting up the LAN, and pointing out all the details that need done - so that's not an issue either.

Time is the primary issue - to do the leg work locally to get the venue setup and other items, such as computer rentals. There's really quite a bit that goes into it and its very difficult to do from several thousand miles away.

So, again, until someone, or a group of guys, step up from the West to take the lead on these they will always be somewhere else. Sorry - not personal, just practical.
01-06-2010, 04:04 AM,
Panzer VI Wrote:So because the population density is more in East, you say forget the West.

WOW

No - I didn't say that.

What I will say is if you or anyone in the west decide on doing a Tillercon then I will make every effort to try and attend. I've been to the first two and plan on being at the third one as well.

Quote:I would do it(It's not the work I'm afraid of), but I don't have the time or the money, let alone I don't know how to setup an event like this.

Not sure I can help you with this - but I guess this is the part where Rich added about a GROUP of people to set it up. As for what needs to be done - well, I have never done it myself so I can't really comment.

Sorry if you seemed to have misunderstood my remarks.

Glenn
Send this user an email