• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Updating of the Mods with the newest SB versions...
12-30-2009, 01:57 AM,
Updating of the Mods with the newest SB versions...
There's been a discussion over on GameSquad's SB Forums regarding the recent updates on the SB series, and how that may effect game mods like Africa at War, RSoE, Long War and AIW . Thanks to turbidite, there seems to be a good way to update each of these games fairly easily, at least A@W and RSoE, since Pacific War and Vietnam have been updated.

Simply update Pacific War and Vietnam with the files obtained from the HPS site. For A@W take the Pacific War exe file, all the .dll files and the two Manifest files and copy them into the A@W folder. You should also go into the Map folder and copy over the two new Trench graphics files to give the updated trench terrain (which looks great).

Do the same for RSoE by taking the same files from Vietnam, after its been updated, and moving them into the RSoE folder. Ditto on the trench graphic files moved into the RSoE Map Folder.

I'm in the middle of a PBEM in RSoE and the transfer seemed to work fine. Hopefully that will hold true, no reason not to think it won't.

As always, you should make a copy of the RSoE and A@W folders first and keep them around, just in case something goes FUBAR.

AIW and LW can be updated in a similar fashion when SAW gets it's update, although you can copy the trench graphics from any of the new updates into SAW and WW to give you those graphics ahead of time.

Let me know if there are any issues here. So far I haven't come across any.
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
Quote this message in a reply
12-30-2009, 09:39 AM,
RE: Updating of the Mods with the newest SB versions...
Seems to work for me, I now have A@W With all the bells and whistles. RSOE seems to work fine too.
12-30-2009, 11:47 AM,
Greetings,

Should Africa be updated? Ozgur and I ran into this recently, when I had updated PW. This is from the AAW install document:

ACHTUNG!! PELIGRO!! WARNING!!
DO NOT USE OFFICIAL HPS PACIFIC WAR PATCHES TO UPGRADE AFRICA AT WAR!! PATCHES FROM HPS WILL HAVE TO BE UPGRADED BY MYSELF SPECIFICALLY FOR AFRICA AT WAR BEFORE YOU CAN USE THEM IN THIS MOD. ONCE THEY HAVE BEEN DONE SO, THEY WILL BE POSTED AT TASK FORCE ECHO-FOUR'S SITE.

I assume that was written by Harmon. I reinstalled and applied just the official AAW updates. The game worked fine with the recent updates, but I think it's intended to be played with the official updates. The only problem is when players have two versions as was the case with Oz and I.
Send this user an email
12-31-2009, 05:42 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-31-2009, 05:43 AM by TheBigRedOne.)
That's a good one, not sure. Frank's been gone from the community for a number of years now, so I'm not exactly sure what to tell you.

If you update PacWar it shouldn't touch AAW. The only time AAW will change is if you follow the instructions above. That will change the main exe file.

Oz, any thoughts?
12-31-2009, 05:53 AM,
I think contrary to what Frank had feared the mod runs fine with the patched exe. However both sides should have the same exe file which can create problems of coordination. A@W players should be aware about the exe versions of their opponents. An alternative approach could be changing the game installation instructions in TFE4 (patching the game before copying A@W). That will solve coordination issues.
12-31-2009, 05:54 AM,
My fault, I updated PW before doing the AAW install. At the time I think it was PW1.02
Send this user an email
12-31-2009, 07:39 AM,
Ozgur Budak Wrote:I think contrary to what Frank had feared the mod runs fine with the patched exe. However both sides should have the same exe file which can create problems of coordination. A@W players should be aware about the exe versions of their opponents. An alternative approach could be changing the game installation instructions in TFE4 (patching the game before copying A@W). That will solve coordination issues.

As long as the installer doesn't do what RSoE does: I ran the patch on Vietnam, then ran the RSoE installer. The installation program for RSoE installed the version of VN that must have been current when the game was created, not the patched version.

I haven't tried this with AAW because copying the files works fine.

I've been planning on making a post about this on TFE4, just need to do it at some point this weekend. At the very least, all players need to coordinate their versions, even the non-mods, just to be safe.
12-31-2009, 01:51 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-31-2009, 01:54 PM by keif149.)
So as a community, we will all be updating the mod games? I'm fine with that. I like updates ;-)
As a simplified way of updating, we can always apply the mod files over a fresh updated install of the parent game?

As for RSOE, one could tell the installer to extract to a temp folder and the cut and paste over a clean updated game?
Send this user an email