• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Suggestion on Command Range
12-29-2009, 04:19 AM,
Suggestion on Command Range
I have been playing but a bit out of circulation for a while but I have been keeping a list of new ideas and here is one of them.

My suggestion is the command range is increased by a % not a specific number of hexes

So an A class HQ adds 20% or 2 which ever is greater a B 10% OR min 1 and so on.

It seems bit odd that a 150 hex HQ becomes 152 by being A and regt 8 command becomes 10 - just something to consider for revision

Cav
Quote this message in a reply
12-29-2009, 05:45 AM,
RE: Suggestion on Command Range
You are correct that in cases where there is a large command radius morale of the command HQ unit is not significant.

Disruption, breaking, or being in travel mode has far greater consequences for the command radius than morale. The impact of disruption on your example of a 150 hex command radius HQ unit would be a loss of 75 hexes in command radius. Going from A morale to C morale has a negligible effect for command radius, but does affect the HQ unit's ability to recover from the disruption. In this case the A morale would first have to be assumed to be reduced from fatigue to B morale in order for the HQ to be eligible for disruption.

Adding an extra loss of 20% (another 30 hexes 150*20%) to the 50% loss of command range seems a little extreme for the morale level change from A to C when coupled with the disruption effect of 50% loss in command range. Now our example HQ has gone from 150 command radius to a 45 hex radius (150-75-30) a 70% reduction in command radius for being disrupted by your proposal. I am not sure this is better than the current situation where the loss of morale levels for the HQ is not a factor for large command radius HQ units.

The current rules simply demonstrates that larger command radius HQ units are more resistant to the effects of morale level losses than HQ units with small ranges.

The morale of a command HQ unit has a greater effect if the command radius is 10 or less.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
12-29-2009, 06:23 AM,
Dog Soldier Wrote:Disruption, breaking, or being in travel mode has far greater consequences for the command radius than morale. The impact of disruption on your example of a 150 hex command radius HQ unit would be a loss of 75 hexes in command radius.

If your 150 hex range HQ is anywhere near where it can be disrupted then the quality probably doesn't matter! :)

I think the % idea is a pretty good one. Maybe making C the baseline and going up or down in 5% steps.
12-29-2009, 08:43 AM,
James Ward Wrote:
Dog Soldier Wrote:Disruption, breaking, or being in travel mode has far greater consequences for the command radius than morale. The impact of disruption on your example of a 150 hex command radius HQ unit would be a loss of 75 hexes in command radius.

If your 150 hex range HQ is anywhere near where it can be disrupted then the quality probably doesn't matter! :)

You mean to tell me you never had an HQ strafed by air attack? If so, you have been playing the wrong opponents. Big Grin

Dog Soldier
- Wyatt Earp
12-29-2009, 11:01 AM,
In playing PZC for 5 yeras or so I have only ever had one Army level HQ destroyed in combat that was in M44 as Axis

I agree that disruption for a high level HQ would be more severe and another good reason to keep it out of harms way. The chances of anything much happeing to a A grade corps hq is not much and even a B level one should recover atef a turn or two. My idea therefore makes HQ units even more important though I admit that my main point was about the range issue .

If you are using some of the rules it cannot be attacked by air anyway.

Cav
12-29-2009, 01:52 PM,
Dog Soldier Wrote:You mean to tell me you never had an HQ strafed by air attack? If so, you have been playing the wrong opponents. Big Grin

Dog Soldier

Not 120 hexes from the front!:)
12-31-2009, 11:12 AM,
cavalry corps Wrote:If you are using some of the rules it cannot be attacked by air anyway.

Cav

Carpet Bombers are effective, if they hot the target hex. Any air recon mission can find the HQ. CB's can attack the found HQ target, even with the OR restricting a ground unit to spot for an air strike.

A long shot, to be sure, but it can be done.

Dog Soldier
- Wyatt Earp
12-31-2009, 11:13 AM,
James Ward Wrote:
Dog Soldier Wrote:You mean to tell me you never had an HQ strafed by air attack? If so, you have been playing the wrong opponents. Big Grin

Dog Soldier

Not 120 hexes from the front!:)

At the end of the HQ's command range, it will not be all that effective anyway. I agree. No reason to attack it if it is already taken itself out from affecting morale checks on units at the front. Mission accomplished with minimum force.

Dog Soldier
- Wyatt Earp