• Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

S42 Game observations on possible bugs and a new suggestion on pontoon bridges
12-29-2009, 03:52 AM,
S42 Game observations on possible bugs and a new suggestion on pontoon bridges
In my current game of PBEM S42 ALT we are upto turn 136

I have a couple of points

Observations on game mechanics - problems

Axis Engineers do not seem to be able to ferry foot units over rivers as it says in the rules. I have a situation where a lot of trapped Rumanians are going to die now

Units adjacent to ferries cannot destroy them even though it says so in the rules – again casing me a big problem

I have a suggestion about pontoon bridges

I have on more than one occasion crushed a Russian crossing and reached the pontoon bridge . It would a be a prudent idea that pontoon bridges are destroyed in a turn where an enemy unit ends up adjacent the bridge or at least has a chance to blow it up

As of now these bridges are more permanent than the ones on the map and that is wrong

I would also suggest pontoon bridges are damaged or destroyed in storms

Any comments welcome

Regards

Michael Smith
Quote this message in a reply
12-29-2009, 05:20 AM,
RE: S42 Game observations on possible bugs and a new suggestion on pontoon bridges
If the river is a hex and not a hex side, then the engineers need to have the "Has Boats" capability to ferry.

IIRC, there was an issue with the Damage Ferry Menu Command when the ferry was in a full water hex as opposed to the ferry on a river hex side. I thought this was addressed in a patch.

Pontoon bridges have to be "maintained" by an engineer unit which can be placed at the end of the pontoon bridge blocking movement off the bridge. An enemy unit would have to destroy or break the friendly engineer to exit the pontoon bridge. Doing so would destroy the bridge, leaving the enemy unit isolated on the wrong side of the river.
How does this make pontoon bridges more permanent?

Again, the engineer unit tied to the bridge and unable to move away is assumed to be taking care of the duties to keep the bridge open to traffic. Storms up river, even off map would be a threat. This is abstracted by tying the engineer unit to maintaining the bridge. and not being able to perform any other duties or movement.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
12-29-2009, 05:37 AM,
RE: S42 Game observations on possible bugs and a new suggestion on pontoon bridges
cavalry corps Wrote:I have on more than one occasion crushed a Russian crossing and reached the pontoon bridge . It would a be a prudent idea that pontoon bridges are destroyed in a turn where an enemy unit ends up adjacent the bridge or at least has a chance to blow it up

You can always abandon the bridge if an engineer built it.
12-29-2009, 10:44 AM,
James Ward Wrote:
cavalry corps Wrote:I have on more than one occasion crushed a Russian crossing and reached the pontoon bridge . It would a be a prudent idea that pontoon bridges are destroyed in a turn where an enemy unit ends up adjacent the bridge or at least has a chance to blow it up

You can always abandon the bridge if an engineer built it.

James its not my bridge I have eliminated the units that have crossed so now I would like to destroy the bridge I can use 1/3 of my MP to destroy a railway but I can do nothing to harm a pontoon bridge ???

Cav
12-29-2009, 10:53 AM,
Dog Soldier Wrote:If the river is a hex and not a hex side, then the engineers need to have the "Has Boats" capability to ferry.

Its a river hex not a full hex of water ( I am checking to see if none of the units that tried to cross were not disrupted - could be my error )

IIRC, there was an issue with the Damage Ferry Menu Command when the ferry was in a full water hex as opposed to the ferry on a river hex side. I thought this was addressed in a patch.

Yes its a full hex ferry ( not the same river as above )

Pontoon bridges have to be "maintained" by an engineer unit which can be placed at the end of the pontoon bridge blocking movement off the bridge. An enemy unit would have to destroy or break the friendly engineer to exit the pontoon bridge. Doing so would destroy the bridge, leaving the enemy unit isolated on the wrong side of the river.
How does this make pontoon bridges more permanent?

I control one side of the river having destroyed those that have crossed it . But I can do nothing about a flimsy pontoon bridge I now conytrol one end of.

Again, the engineer unit tied to the bridge and unable to move away is assumed to be taking care of the duties to keep the bridge open to traffic. Storms up river, even off map would be a threat. This is abstracted by tying the engineer unit to maintaining the bridge. and not being able to perform any other duties or movement.

I contriol one side I do not have the ability to sit around to try and break the engineer . Do you not think I unit would have the capability to destroy this kind of bridge after all I can destroy a railway with 1/3 movement.

Dog Soldier
12-29-2009, 11:07 AM,
cavalry corps Wrote:In my current game of PBEM S42 ALT we are upto turn 136

I have a couple of points

Observations on game mechanics - problems

Axis Engineers do not seem to be able to ferry foot units over rivers as it says in the rules. I have a situation where a lot of trapped Rumanians are going to die now

Units adjacent to ferries cannot destroy them even though it says so in the rules – again casing me a big problem

I have a suggestion about pontoon bridges

I have on more than one occasion crushed a Russian crossing and reached the pontoon bridge . It would a be a prudent idea that pontoon bridges are destroyed in a turn where an enemy unit ends up adjacent the bridge or at least has a chance to blow it up

As of now these bridges are more permanent than the ones on the map and that is wrong

I would also suggest pontoon bridges are damaged or destroyed in storms

Any comments welcome

Regards

Michael Smith

I am checking to see if none of the units trying to be ferried were not disrupted , I know the engineer is not disrupted - that maybe my guff as I have not done it before but it was not the main point of my post anyway ( if so I apologise for wasting your time )

That was about full hex ferry blowing mainly and about the idea that pontoon boxed should not be allowed unless you control both hexes that the bridge connects to.

In my game despite retaking the crossing I cannot get rid of the bridge
( unless the engineer gets broken but at 1 hex range vis for the last 20 turns I cannot see it anyway )

Cav
12-29-2009, 11:16 AM,
I re loaded the old turn and non disrupted units can cross so it must be me but i am pretty sure ( very sure ) the first time I tried it they would not. It must be my error some how.

As I say I cannot prove it now so I withdraw that particular issue

Cav
12-29-2009, 01:55 PM,
cavalry corps Wrote:James its not my bridge I have eliminated the units that have crossed so now I would like to destroy the bridge I can use 1/3 of my MP to destroy a railway but I can do nothing to harm a pontoon bridge ???

Cav

Then you'd need to break the unit maintaining it though if it's a full hex bridge you might not want to do it from the bridge.:)
12-29-2009, 02:15 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-29-2009, 02:16 PM by Volcano Man.)
Doesn't Stalingrad use the wired bridge feature? I could be wrong, but if so then you may not be able to destroy a ferry if the wired bridge rule is used (I am probably wrong though).
Send this user an email
12-29-2009, 11:01 PM,
Volcano Man Wrote:Doesn't Stalingrad use the wired bridge feature? I could be wrong, but if so then you may not be able to destroy a ferry if the wired bridge rule is used (I am probably wrong though).

Yes it does use wired bridges.