• redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Bonus when assaulting with engineers ?
12-29-2009, 04:35 AM,
RE: Bonus when assaulting with engineers ?
NicholasBell Wrote:In almost 40 years of wargaming, I know of no other board or computer wargame which so clearly shows why engineers were/are so important, and why one can never have enough. Most games only focus on the assault engineers, which is really one of their less important aspects.

Thanks Nick

....many of you guys might not know Nick and only see his "Rookie" status - this is a guy was the developer on many of the classics which people still talk about.

Nice to see you here Sir.

Glenn
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
12-29-2009, 06:03 AM,
Notice the size of the assault engineers in various titles. Big bang per man ratio in assaults.

They have the higher assault values, and can be added to a stack of infantry where another infantry unit will not fit due to stacking limits. Thus they are used in a historical fashion to give the assault an added "punch" while still requiring the friendly infantry to cover them in the assault.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
12-29-2009, 06:29 AM,
Dog Soldier Wrote:Notice the size of the assault engineers in various titles. Big bang per man ratio in assaults.

They have the higher assault values, and can be added to a stack of infantry where another infantry unit will not fit due to stacking limits.

Right on. I am exactly experiencing this in Korsun 44. Add a Soviet engineer battalion on top of a full Guards regiment when assaulting. Another Guards btn does not always fit, but an engineer btn does... Results guaranteed :)
12-29-2009, 11:13 AM,
Hope your enjoying the new Korsun scenarios Czar, they are very different to stock now... Don't be put off by the bunkers, the Germans desperately need them!!
12-29-2009, 01:41 PM,
Strela Wrote:Hope your enjoying the new Korsun scenarios Czar, they are very different to stock now... Don't be put off by the bunkers, the Germans desperately need them!!

I really enjoy them a lot. I started with a small one called "53rd Army" as a warm-up...

The difference between the stock one and this one is extensive, but it definetely feels more realistic from an historical perspective. I'll leave more feedback in the Korsun scenario thread when I'm finished with it, but the starting lines are much more accurate, the fine-tuning of strength and quality feels right, the OOB is very sound too.

Yeah, the bunkers are kind of annoying at first. You've got to run around and gather all AT guns and tanks you can find to hit those hard targets if you want to disrupt these Germans first before assaulting their bunkers...I've got to admit I got impatient at some places and straight assaulted them anyway even if they were not disrupted. More expensive, but what the heck, time is of the essence in this scenario...

I agree that these bunkers are indeed required because the German lines start cracking no matter what when the 5th Guards Tank Army come into the fray, exactly like it did historically.
12-31-2009, 12:58 AM,
check out the flame tank assaults-usually 30+ those lil pzIIIs teamed up with some assault dudes can move stuff out of holes

in Minsk the 78th sturm has lots of good assault infantry :)
12-31-2009, 12:29 PM,
raizer Wrote:check out the flame tank assaults-usually 30+ those lil pzIIIs teamed up with some assault dudes can move stuff out of holes

in Minsk the 78th sturm has lots of good assault infantry :)

Those boys in the 78th Strum in front of Orsha in Minsk 44 are bombed but eventually flanked to get them out of their defenses.

Hitting these guys head on will have you writing many Dear Mr and Mrs Ivanoff letters as the Russian commander....:whis:

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
01-18-2010, 11:43 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-18-2010, 11:50 PM by raizer.)
The 78th was a great division... tough as nails and fought most of the war...until Orsha where they were wiped to a man

I am so glad that the developers did them right IMHO...They are well represented in this game, with their heightened assault values

btw i love being able to post pics

here are some 15mm germans last year I painted and sold on ebay for good $. I was proud of these boys and hated to see them go

[Image: pzgrens.jpg]
01-19-2010, 01:37 AM,
Very neat work there, you spent a lot of time on the details of these guys!

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]