• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Korsun '44 Alt Scenarios V3 now available
01-16-2010, 07:12 AM,
RE: Korsun '44 Alt Scenarios V3 now available
I completed a small alternate Korsun scenario (53rd Army). I can say to you it all definitely feels much better, much more realistic. I am currently reading "The Korsun Pocket" by Zetterling & Frankson and I was amazed at how the OOB and starting lines were so accurate until I read in the Word reference notes that this book has been a source of information for you Big Grin Kind of make sense I would find my bearings if I'm reading the book at the same time.

The changes in terms of bunker positions for the Germans made in this scenario are spot on: it makes just enough of a difference in balancing the game and providing a challenge to the Soviet player. Bunkers or not, I knew I had enough punch to go through the German lines, but the question was: would I do it soon enough to be able to roam and wreak havoc behind German lines ?

In the end, I managed to eked out a draw against the German AI. It was a challenging one. Perhaps I could have scored a minor victory if I haven't been that sloppy protecting Kapitanovka once I secured it around turn 11 or 12. The AI formed a kampfgruppe and snapped it out of my hands through a vigorous attack just 2 turns before the scenario ended. I launched a desperate counter-attack to no avail. I had some tank units closing in on Lebedin deep in the rear but most were out of ammo and fuel at this point.

It feels so historically good that I am now going to fire the full campaign and enjoy it.

Thanks for all the hard work in fine-tuning these alternate scenarios !

:bow:
Quote this message in a reply
01-18-2010, 01:53 AM,
RE: Korsun '44 Alt Scenarios V3 now available
Thanks Czar for the positive comments!

There is ongoing work still on Korsun '44. The later campaigns are currently under review and we have done NO work on balancing the victory points in scenarios. This will only come from multiple play throughs.

That said we are pretty comfortabe with the how the scenarios are panning out. I am currently playing in the initial campaign game as a Soviet against 3 others at the moment. Very interesting to see that we are pretty much emulating history. My tanks are through to Shpola and Lebedin, but desperately need the supply wagons to catch up. The infantry are bogged down keeping 3rd & 14th Panzer at bay and away from my supply lines.

The German Panzers have to be careful though, they are not designed from protracted defensive fighting and as a Soviet I am focussing on really hurting their panzer grenadiers. Without those, the Panzers Divisions lose a fair amount of their bite.

David
Quote this message in a reply