• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Korsun '44 Alt Scenarios V3 now available
12-29-2009, 11:06 AM,
RE: Korsun '44 Alt Scenarios V3 now available
Hi Cav,

We have a working prototype for supply drops that will be implements in V4 of the Korsun scenarios. We have found strategy options work just fine.

Though hardwired there are 4 - 6 possible dropzones that will include multiple areas in the pocket as well as at various spots that the relieving forces are / might be.

This gives the German player the option of getting supply into the pocket or to the relieving spearheads to keep them moving.

We are also well on the way to a brand new setup for the 0201 Korsun Pocket campaign "In the Bag". We have found unit placements and strength are way off and are currently rebalancing it.

We will also have some further tweaks around the initial 0125 campaign, that have come out of playtesting.

This scenario pack will continue to evolve as we get more play testing and comments from the community.

David
Quote this message in a reply
01-09-2010, 04:08 AM,
I downloaded the package from VM's site yesterday and got it loaded last night. Thanks many times over for your work. I only play the McNamara OOBs any more.

I hope to get knee deep in The Breakout scenario this weekend. I've had Korsun for a couple of years now but always had trouble keeping an interest because of the way the units are broke down. This battle just seems to have a different feel than say Smolensk or Kharkhov. But I'm hoping the new OOBs will rekindle my desire to play through this very interesting battle.

I had one question; and I'm not contesting anything, I just want to be sure what I'm seeing is correct. I have very very little reference information on Korsun so I can't say anything of substance about unit make-up.

I noticed the 1st SS Pz Div's Tiger unit (Aufk/SS Pz.1) has only one (1) vehicle and the Panther unit (1/SS Pz.1) has only three (3). Is that correct?

Do more vehicles show up in later turns? (I may already know since I saw no reinforcements listed but I had to ask)

Is Wittman's Tiger unit in play during this action?

Please be gentle. As I mentioned I don't have "Hells Gate" or any good references for this battle.

Thanks again for all the work you put in on these packages.
01-09-2010, 08:47 PM,
Hi Hank,

I'll be very gentle :)

You are correct by the 10th February LAH had very little armor available. They were over on the left flank for a reason and were not used for the final push to Lisyanka. The major divisions that attempted to rescue the pocket was 1st, 16th, 17th Panzer and KG Baeke. 1st Panzer actually starts with 48 Panthers(!).

As far as LAH, they actually had 8 Tigers available but 7 were in the shop. The game will repair them (slowly) if you don't use the unit. There were significantly more Panther in the repair shops as many had broken down due to the excessive stress due to operating in mud conditions.

In the download package is 2 word documents. The "Part 2" document has all the revision notes and if you look on page 13 you will see the revised starting armor for each major campaign. The starting forces are based off a book by Nikalus Zetterling who used the German daily divisional strength reports to confirm what the German's had at what time in the battle. There is a huge amount of information in this document on what has been changed in the scenarios and why.

Finally, we have played the first campaign pretty extensively, but are just starting to look at the Korsun Pocket and Breakout campaigns. We already have some sweeping changes for the Pocket campaign that will be available soon. So please feedback anything you see in the Breakout campaign as we have had limited play time with it.

PS As far as Wittman, his unit is here, but I would have to check whether he was actually present at Korsun... (I have his book..!)

David
01-09-2010, 10:36 PM,
Much thanks

I appreciate the history behind this battle. Until recent years there wasn't much out there to read except for "Hells Gate" and it was out of print and cost an arm and a leg if you could find it. I use these HPS games to further my military history education. They are the best IMHO and I have many of the popular titles (SSG, TOAW, Panther Games, etc.).

I have one of the Wittman books and both "Panzer Ace" books but they're in a box in storage.

If I see anything I'll let you know. My work schedule and honey do's don't leave me much gaming time so it will be slow.

Thanks again
01-10-2010, 02:31 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-10-2010, 03:20 AM by Hank.)
As I'm working through the first move this a.m., I recall one thing about the Korsun battle that perplexed me.

How do you use all the halftrack units the Germans have?

I can't figure out what good they are. They have low attack and defend values.
Is there some task they're good for?

IMHO, they're high value cannon fodder so I tend to just hold them out of range let them sit in the snow. They can't carry troops can they? I don't think so but I could be wrong. If I could load companies of foot soldiers in them and gain travel points, that would be good.

This is the only PzC game I've played so far that has so many of these 3 to 7 vehicle halftrack units.

PS-I did notice a few have some high soft target values with two hex ranges and a few others have some high HT values. So I must back off somewhat what I said about low values (I spoke too soon). I hear you VM, I keep them clear of anything that can knock them out easily.
01-10-2010, 02:52 AM,
They can be used for ZOCs and to stack with infantry to provide assault protection from other infantry, as well as reconnaissance. Of course they should not be used anywhere near enemy tanks.
Send this user an email
01-10-2010, 03:33 AM,
Hank - just as matter for your information Hell's Gate has been reprinted & I have seen used copies for sale on Amazon that are around $45. The Military Book Club also has it new for $47 - which is where I got my copy. Still pricey - but worth getting. Thought you or others might be interested.
01-10-2010, 10:39 AM,
Hank,

The little halftrack units.....

It was much worse in the original scenarios! I actually consolidated many of the units into larger formations and rationalised the battalion structure.

They ARE useful. As Volcano Man says you can use them for ZOC's and for strengthening hexes etc. There are some wide open flanks for the Germans in the game and the halftracks are useful for providing early warning / flank protection. A number of them are recon units and can be used as such.

Finally, one of our testers uses them very aggressively - particularly against Soviet infantry. He parks them one hex behind his infantry defensive line and then steps forward adjacent to the enemy unit takes a shot and steps back. The end result is that it becomes the death of a thousand cuts unless you start to target the small vehicle units. D class Russian infantry will break way to often when shot up this way.

Finally, an additional note to VM's caution around having them near tanks. These units are VERY vulnerable to artillery fire. Try not to leave them in the front line if there is significant enemy artillery units around...,.

David
01-10-2010, 10:00 PM,
Thanks many times over

I will definitely use these recommendations in my current battles. After posting that comment, I'm finding I was somewhat premature in my thinking. I've been investigating further and I'm beginning to see what's described in these posts.

thanks again
01-11-2010, 11:46 PM,
Strela Wrote:Hi Cav,

We have a working prototype for supply drops that will be implements in V4 of the Korsun scenarios. We have found strategy options work just fine.

Though hardwired there are 4 - 6 possible dropzones that will include multiple areas in the pocket as well as at various spots that the relieving forces are / might be.

This gives the German player the option of getting supply into the pocket or to the relieving spearheads to keep them moving.

We are also well on the way to a brand new setup for the 0201 Korsun Pocket campaign "In the Bag". We have found unit placements and strength are way off and are currently rebalancing it.

We will also have some further tweaks around the initial 0125 campaign, that have come out of playtesting.

This scenario pack will continue to evolve as we get more play testing and comments from the community.

David

David

Sorry for the delay , this all sounds very good.
In my mods I usually give the defender some benefits of a higher repl value ( not the units specific one ) to simulate, HQ general quality, small KG , stragglers , lightly wounded etc. Attackers I would think would usually not be in the same postion to take replacements. Though I always consider the overall situation and HQ quality etc

Cav