• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Opinions
12-06-2009, 10:04 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-06-2009, 10:25 AM by Kool Kat.)
RE: Opinions
Scud Wrote:Nobody's cheating. Talk to the guy. Talking on the forum before you've discussed it with him is unfair. Could be as simple as computer problems and he saves after a move or two, something I was trained to do professionally. Could be a million reasons, but he's the only one who knows, so ask him.

Ask him.

I agree.

Personally, I don't think it is fair that Larry should be taking his concern over his opponent's game saves to the forum BEFORE discussing it with his opponent.

What does Larry plan to do? Base his opinion on some kind of public consensus generated from this thread?

Why not "man up" and communicate directly with your opponent? THAT is the only way you are going to know for sure - correct?

Ask him!
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
12-06-2009, 05:21 PM,
Wow, I posted my recent thread without even seeing this one. Sorry.
I agree with most here,...NOBODY CHEATS, especially the veteran comrades. And to prove my point, any future opponents of mine can save a HUNDRED ZILLION TIMES a turn, and I could care less. Hell, go ahead and cheat, I'll still whoop ur ass!@ heheh lol
BTW, nobody has ever explained, AND PLEASE DO IF YOU HAVE THE KNOWLEDGE, how do you cheat, or can cheat, after saving several times??????????????????????????????????????????????????
Please, anybody? This whole issue seems so childish, especially to us veterans.Whip
12-06-2009, 08:35 PM,
Wow. I can tell some folks take this way more seriously than I do. As I said, I was just curious as to others experiences and thoughts on this, and that is all. I'll handle the inquiry with my opponent when (and if) it appears necessary. Take a deep breath and lay off the caffeine. :-P

As for the question as to how one can "cheat" (I don't particularly care for that term, maybe "take unfair advantage" is better) is to save the game prior to a particularly difficult or hazardous attack, say of a multi-hex village. From that one save you can explore different routes and series of attacks (i.e. if unit A fires into hex B and does no damage, and then moves to hex C and is damaged by enemy opfire, one could restart and try other combinations, such as moving unit A to hex C (and not drawing opfire), then firing into hex B (this time doing damage), and the enemy is destroyed, etc...). This just method of exploiting the game, there are others (from a programming perspective this is the easiest in my opinion). Now, would I bother with any of this BS, of course not, nor would most players. But there are those out there who would do so (a notable instance that comes to mind is in one of the "club versus club" tournaments (which I did not participate in but read up on the postings and experiences of others - those players seem at least in my experience to be young, and of a mind that winning is everything no matter what gets in the way). When I encounter those players I generally move on, not playing them again (not worth my time, though I might share my thoughts with some of my regular opponents to see what they think if they've played that particular person as well).

But I digress. It is very late (or early). I'd like to close by saying I appreciate all the responses and thoughts on the subject - that aim of the original post was quite successful. The amount of vitriol however was surprising, and, while entertaining, was, at least in my opinion, unbecoming. Just my two cents.

Best regards all,

LR
If you run, you'll only die tired.

One hand on the wheel, and one in the flame,
One foot on the gas, and one in the grave.
12-06-2009, 11:28 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-06-2009, 11:29 PM by Herr Straße Laufer.)
Larry,

I'm in full agreement with you. When I read your initial comment I took it in the way it was presented. An innocent and unprovocative one.

The vitriol, and to a degree rudeness, did spill out from some of those passionate about the subject. It always does in topics that bring forth the "cheaters are everywhere" crowd. :chin:

Any one who knows you will also know that you will handle the issue with your opponent in a tactful and gentlemanly way. They should also know that you would not bring a topic to the forum to "air dirty laundry" before those who read the forums.

I'm on my second cup of coffee and find I am simply awakened from the dead and not "jazzed" over anything while I type this. :smoke:

cheers

RR
12-07-2009, 03:10 AM,
Cats Wrote:Yes,

Just a poor choice of words.

No problem

Hello Scott,

Welcome to the CS forums. :)

Here, I fully agree with you. :thumbs_up:
You were colateral damage when a hand grenade was thrown into a knife fight? :rolleyes:

I see you have not reported a game in CS as of yet. If you want you can pick one out and send it to my gmail address.
I hate super large scenarios, extreme assault, and variable visibility. If you send something medium to small, in EF, WF, or RS, I can offer you a game to get you onto the regular CS ladder.
I have the Matrix 1.04 version.

I do have a quick turn around time and I rarely save turns before ending them. ;) Whip

cheers

RR
12-07-2009, 04:06 AM,
Gentlemen...I have spent years as a sports official and I will tell you all with not ever once thinking I am wrong...............once the keeping of scores begin people will cheat.......not all........... but the temptation is there and many succumb to it and it may or may not be someone you would expect to cheat......but once the score is kept the temptation begins.......never be surprised..........disappointed yes..........but not surprised.

Just the way it is :-(

Earl
"The secret to success is not just doing the things you enjoy but rather enjoying everything that you do."
12-07-2009, 06:20 AM,
A couple of blokes have expressed concerns about this thread being vitriolic. :conf:
I beg to differ (avitriolically)...IMO, given the touchy nature of the topic, the discussion was measured and civilised.cheers
12-07-2009, 06:28 AM,
Hey Scott!

I really like the Panther pic you use in your signature! Can you give some background on the German unit and where / when the photo was taken?

Thanks!
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
12-07-2009, 06:48 AM,
K K Rossokolski Wrote:A couple of blokes have expressed concerns about this thread being vitriolic. :conf:
I beg to differ (avitriolically)...IMO, given the touchy nature of the topic, the discussion was measured and civilised.cheers

I agree.

The OP asked for opinions on game saves - a sensative and somewhat controversial subject that has been debated several times in the past on this forum.

He received several different opinions? He received what he asked for?

IMO I don't believe it is a polite or gentleman practice to publically air details of an ongoing match and question your opponent's motives - without communicating to your opponent first. I would never do this to any opponent that I am playing and I would expect the same from him.

But that is just me.
Send this user an email
12-07-2009, 07:35 AM,
mwest Wrote:Hey Scott!

I really like the Panther pic you use in your signature! Can you give some background on the German unit and where / when the photo was taken?

Thanks!

Mike,

Found this site. I thought it was a geat site for reference.

http://www.achtungpanzer.com/introductio...ung-panzer

Thanks

Scott