• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Opinions
12-05-2009, 07:04 AM,
RE: Opinions
Personally, I think the 'save counter' feature was a good thing in theory but, in hindsight, it was an idea to stop a minority from cheating whilst causing an unneccesary worry amongst the majority of fair players who don't.
As mentioned before, many people save again and again for innocent reasons, - the missus demanding you must come to the dinner table, etc. I think a fair few people have gone through the experience, especially in larger games, of playing for some time, only to go away for some domestic matter and then get a power cut or whatever, and lose a heck of a lot of played time, so they then may save quite often through the turn for safety's sake.
I only play against people who I get some rapport from, so have a healthy trust in the games I play.
regards
Peter
12-05-2009, 08:52 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-05-2009, 08:53 AM by Larry Reese.)
I agree that the save counter can be a mixed blessing, and with the sentiment that one should play with opponents you have a good feeling about (which I tend to do over the long haul). And yes, I agree as well that all we have at the moment is a suspicion without evidence (that's why I intend to ask in a very comradely way about it). I also want to make it clear that I'm not saying this gent is cheating (and would never do so publicly), I'm just saying the turn counter was going off and was there a club standard or whatever that had been worked out (and wanted to hear other member's experiences as well). Was thinking the other day, I've been playing East Front against some of you guys for 13 years now. Holy ****. We're getting old. Take it easy folks, and to all the site staff, thanks for doing what you do. Without your hard work, we'd all be stuck slaughtering the half-assed AI.

PS - where do the titles under our names come from? Is that something we set up ourselves? (Obviously, if I did it, I don't remember).

LR
If you run, you'll only die tired.

One hand on the wheel, and one in the flame,
One foot on the gas, and one in the grave.
12-05-2009, 02:43 PM,
Larry,

For what it's worth after witnessing all the brewhaha generated by the first discussion of the save counter I decided that rather than ever generate uncomfortable feelings, questions, doubts, etc for any of my opponents I would always keep my saves at two or below. I like to play monster scenarios which doesn't always make it easy. I may fire the scenario up when I arrive home from work and do my turn throughtout the course of the evening, with my interuptions here and there, saving the first time at the end of the night. Same thing the next day. That scenario may be on my screen for six hours a night over the course of two nights but I can regularly churn out turns for very large scenarios with only two saves. I think of it as a courtesy nod to my opponents.

Just my .02 :cool:
12-05-2009, 04:43 PM,
Larry ???!

...are you worried about sombody cheating you?!...you? Or is it something else...?
...there is not a chump around who could do that...is this rhetorical? G'dam are everyone so hung up?
I'll save a zillion times, by God, just to hang you up...I promise you...
C'mon...
...sheesh...
Town Drunk
12-05-2009, 04:46 PM,
for real...
...it appears as if you cats are standing around, surreaptisously, measuring penis lenghts, or something...
...why can't you cats get over it?

Holy Smoke!
Cheers
Curt
Town Drunk
12-05-2009, 05:13 PM,
Spot on, Curt.
But it ain't the worst thing in JTCS.....that still falls to either the "bathtub navy" or the non-flying-bomb-shooting-from-homebase-hangars "bombers".

If you think somone is cheating, don't play with 'em. Simple as that.
12-06-2009, 02:32 AM,
Nobody's cheating. Talk to the guy. Talking on the forum before you've discussed it with him is unfair. Could be as simple as computer problems and he saves after a move or two, something I was trained to do professionally. Could be a million reasons, but he's the only one who knows, so ask him.

Ask him.
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
12-06-2009, 07:31 AM,
Mr. Guberman Wrote:for real...
...it appears as if you cats are standing around, surreaptisously, measuring penis lenghts, or something...
...why can't you cats get over it?

Holy Smoke!
Cheers
Curt

Thanks, appreciate the welcome.......................
12-06-2009, 08:47 AM,
Cats Wrote:Thanks, appreciate the welcome.......................

I am pretty sure the reference wasn't directed at you... I think it was a general reference.

Jason Petho
Send this user an email
12-06-2009, 09:24 AM,
Yes,

Just a poor choice of words.

No problem