• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Slitherine - Field of Glory
01-14-2010, 08:47 PM,
RE: Slitherine - Field of Glory
well, i buy Field of Glory and play it a littke, can say that for me is more game than HPS games, yes, is an easy game to play but not easy to win against a human. You can have infinite scens (editor is great) and the expansion system is interesting, i see the original table game and are books covering medieval wars for example and dont talk about modding, someguys are working in a napoleonic mod... yea, HPS games are more "realistic" (i dont find Field of Glory unrealistic only find that have some... call it bugs that do the experience a little psss sometimes and have some features missing) but they have 2 years and Field of Glory only have 3 months with 2 patchs in this time.

If you want a easy game with a great number of units with a good mod potencial and great editor Field of Glory is your choice for ancient wars and with a little luck you can play games to the musket and pike era Big Grin
Quote this message in a reply
12-10-2010, 07:32 AM,
I was going to ask the same question, as I am considering an ancient wargame for my Christmas present.

Any updated views after the various updates to both games?
12-11-2010, 10:20 AM,
(12-10-2010, 07:32 AM)FM WarB Wrote: I was going to ask the same question, as I am considering an ancient wargame for my Christmas present.

Any updated views after the various updates to both games?

The previous reply said it all, really, but I would emphasize that Field of Glory, for all its limitations, is a tremendous amount of fun. It's fast, easy, and I actually like the Slitherine PBEM system. And it's updated constantly and you get great response to questions on the Slitherine boards. Very good design team. It's definitely worth the money.

Tim
12-11-2010, 11:47 AM,
It may well be worth a try, with the current sale price.
12-17-2010, 08:23 AM,
Thumbs_Up  RE: Slitherine - Field of Glory
Hi folks.

I agree with Tim completely. Playing FoG is really fun. Game mechanics are simple, but it´s fast paced and embedded in a very good PBEM system on the Slitherine server.

By the way, nobody mentioned the great ancient wargames available from GMT games for digital boardgaming on the VASSAL engine.

For example SPQR and Commands and Colors Ancients.

Cheers, Klaus
Sic transit Gloria Mundi !