• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

What Optional Rules would you like to see listed?
11-08-2009, 08:39 PM,
RE: What Optional Rules would you like to see listed?
Yes, the OR used in Volcano Man's _Alt scenarios are consistent across all of his scenarios regardless of the title and i can understand why that would seem easier to understand for a new player.

Never forget that in stock scenarios by clicking "Default" on the OR dialogue box you will only select the OR's recommended by that titles designer and if you are unsure what the effect of other OR's have just stick to the default ones to play safe. ;)
Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2009, 12:54 AM,
Foul. Wrote:Never forget that in stock scenarios by clicking "Default" on the OR dialogue box you will only select the OR's recommended by that titles designer and if you are unsure what the effect of other OR's have just stick to the default ones to play safe. ;)

Thanks for reminding ! I knew that but had forgot about it. It seems to me that the optional rules selected when starting a scenario are the ones you had on before on this title, so you need to remember to click on Default to get the recommended rules.
11-09-2009, 02:16 AM,
Czar Wrote:It seems to me that the optional rules selected when starting a scenario are the ones you had on before on this title, so you need to remember to click on Default to get the recommended rules.

Absolutely correct!

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
11-10-2009, 02:53 AM,
I like to use the 10 alt rules that vm advocates-even if not playing one of his alts. Im just used to them
11-10-2009, 04:12 AM,
> I like to use the 10 alt rules that vm advocates-even if not playing one of his alts. Im just used to them

Raizer:

Just keep in mind the ALT RULES were developed for Normandy 44 for a very specific reason. The terrain their is so tight it just didn't seem reasonable that fire could specifically target on unit in a hex stack especially seeing how the OOB was broken down to in some cases Platoons as that was how the Germans fought. And it was unreasonable to allow the phasing player the ability to target a specific unit within a hex - rather the hex was targeted with the preferred unit and other units were open to colateral damage. Other games like Smolensk (which was before Normandy) and Kharkov (which came right after Normandy) did not have the extremely detailed OOB nor were these battles fought where the terrain was as tight as Normandy.

That said - they are optional rules so that you can elect to use them if you wish. They certainly change the way the losses are taken - and the key word in the previous statement is CHANGE. That is the kills are neither "More" nor "Less" - they are DIFFERENT where factors such as target density come into effect. This results is differences in kills which in turn results in difference is Vic Points for Kill differentials which means teh Vic levels in the scn are out of wack. But as long as you accept these effects and understand why there are two sets of fire rules in the first place, then by all means - use the Optional RUles as you see fit.

Glenn
Send this user an email
11-10-2009, 07:59 AM,
Ah this is where Alt and Alt get confusing, Glenn is taking about the four optional Alt (or alternative) rules that are default on some titles (like Normandy), whereas i believe Raizer is talking about the ten optional rules that need to be selected when playing Volcano Mans _alt scenarios only one of which is a Alt optional rule that Glenn is referring to. :chin:

Very confusing i know and i don't know how to explain that any better..........:(