• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Dien Bien Phu Tourney Round One - Ban Kho Lai
11-02-2009, 12:09 PM,
Dien Bien Phu Tourney Round One - Ban Kho Lai
My opponent and I just finished the round one Ban Kho Lai battle, and we both fell flat on our faces when it came to handling the French attack. Although this battle was historically a French victory, I actually thought it was one of the harder of the French attack scenarios in the game. I mean, I've played most all of the scenarios, and I found Ban Kho Lai as the French much harder than, for instance, the Eliane and Huguette counterattack battles. In fact when I played the French in this tourney I managed to capture both of the northern VP redoubts, but still rated a major defeat. One of the big French challenges in this battle is how to effectively manage the force coming up from Isabelle. They get a late start coming on to the map, the infantry have to hurry and yet are very exposed coming up those two roads, and for the sake of time you have to commit your precious tanks to battle before the infantry can come up to support them. Anyway, if anyone has any secrets to success as the French in this battle, I'd love to hear them.

BTW, I would also add that this is my first ever PBEM Tourney, and the two games played thus far were most enjoyable, defeat notwithstanding. Definitely a human opponent will pull some surprises that the AI would rarely do. I look forward to round two. cheers
Quote this message in a reply
11-03-2009, 11:38 PM,
RE: Dien Bien Phu Tourney Round One - Ban Kho Lai
First off, I have to say that John has some mad enthusiasm for DBP, which is outstanding. I like to see this type of stuff on the boards and in our community. For those who haven't seen his DBP AARs over on GameSquad, you should really check them out. Great stuff. I do think, however, it would be best for discussions regarding this scenario to either be done privately or waiting until the tourney has ended, just so folks still playing have a little less knowledge of the scenario as they play. Some folks play scenarios blind, and most are not as fast as you two speed-demons! (I think you set a record for finishing a first round).

Not a big deal, but I don't think an AAR on this scenario right now would be a good thing for those of us still playing.

That being said, I'm up for discussion of any and all stuff SB related. Most of you guys know that I'm all about discussions and conversations here.
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
Quote this message in a reply