• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Pontic Valley question....
10-24-2009, 04:51 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-24-2009, 05:17 AM by TJD.)
Pontic Valley question....
In GW, the scenario 010_Pontic Valley, there's some strange behavior. On the very first move of the game as the Barbarian, I find my LC -- Kappadokio -- won't make a 10 meter downward change of elevation even though they have 120 movement points remaining. Neither can their Leader, who has 130 MP. They are facing the gradient straight on and there is nothing special about the hex side and the terrain is otherwise clear.

However, one of the other LC units -- identical, same group, and with the same number of movement points - can make it down the 10-meter grade no problem.

I reloaded the scenario and tried again. The unit that had the problem last time handled the gradient readily, whereas the one that made it last time now decided he can't. This is the first move as the Barbarian, nothing has happened in the game.

Am I missing something here? According to the rules a 10m change of elevation should cost only 10 extra MP and I had 120 and the hex is clear.

Thanks for your insight,

Tim
Quote this message in a reply
10-24-2009, 07:24 AM,
RE: Pontic Valley question....
I was able to replicate this issue.

To add more information....
The LC group starts in the following hexes. If you give them orders to move forward they stop in the following hexes.

11,8 ----> 12,10 (s/b able to move to 13,13)
12,7 ----> 13,9 (s/b able to move to 15,12)
14,7 ----> 17,12

All are identical LC with only 30 men and in line formation.
The first two encounter the "wedding cake slope" hex side and stop after two hexes of movement.
The third unit starts on the lower slope, but then crosses another 10m "wedding cake slope" hex side with no problem.

In 3D zoom mode the upper 10m slope graphic actually looks twice as tall as the lower slope 10m graphic. I doubt the graphic is the issue, unless it is linked to something in the code for the hex side?

Issuing orders individually instead of using group commands does not change the situation. The first two units show their movement ending after traversing the first two hexes when the highlight orders placed command is made. The third units shows it will move without hindrance. When the turn is executed, the movement is exactly like it is shown in the highlight orders placed mode.

In the second turn, the first two units can move only one hex; down the slope.
12,10 ----> 12,11
13,9 ----> 14,10

[Image: cliffstop.jpg]
Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
10-24-2009, 09:09 AM,
b_Exclamation Mark  RE: Pontic Valley question....
Gentlemen,

start the Scenario editor load the broken scenario, save it under a new designation and restart....:)
Maybe the older scenarios are not adjusted to the new patch !?!
This procedure might help concerning the crashing scenarios too.

Cheers, Klaus
Sic transit Gloria Mundi !
10-24-2009, 09:22 AM,
Hi.

Forget my comment. Checked it meanwhile. Must be an error caused by the map !?!

Cheers, Klaus
10-24-2009, 11:54 AM,
Dog Soldier Wrote:I was able to replicate this issue.

Thank you, DS, for making this effort. I appreciate it.

Tim
10-24-2009, 08:17 PM,
This is a programme fault and will be corrected in Gallic Wars version 1.04. Thank you for highlighting this problem.
10-25-2009, 10:57 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-25-2009, 10:58 AM by Dog Soldier.)
Here is a temporary file that can be used until the official change comes out in Gallic Wars v1.04.
The file name is Pontic valley3.scn. It will not overwrite your 010_Pontic valley.scn so you have to rename it or remember to remove it when you update to v1.04. I am not certain, but I think it is best to communicate with your PBEM opponent so you both use the same file name or the PBEM file may not work.

Thank you Paul for your quick response to this problem.

Dog Soldier

Attached Files
.zip   Pontic valley3.zip (Size: 9.64 KB / Downloads: 0)
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
10-25-2009, 11:53 AM,
Dog Soldier Wrote:Thank you Paul for your quick response to this problem.

Dog Soldier

I second the thanks. I've been wargaming a long time and I've never seen such a quick response from a designer.

Here's to you, Paul! cheers

Tim
10-25-2009, 09:30 PM,
Hi Tim,

you can always rely on Paul.

His day counts 48 h, I assume Big Grin:whis:Big Grin

Cheers, Klaus