• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Crimea Sept 41-June 42
11-02-2009, 03:04 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-02-2009, 03:05 PM by c00per.)
Crimea Sept 41-June 42
This would make an excellent campaign imo. It has a German quick exploit into the Crimea then an aggressive Soviet counterattack including naval invasions and all out offensive by the Russian to relieve Sevastpool. Then a final German/Rumanian counter attack capturing of Kerch and elimanting all soviet resisitance in the peninsula. Then the all out assault on Sevastpool.(personal note I would really love to use the Dora aritllery unit) Anyone who has read Manstien's book Lost Victories will have a good understanding of this intersting campaign. German 11th Army versus the Soviet 51st Army & 44th Army.
Quote this message in a reply
11-02-2009, 11:31 PM,
RE: Crimea Sept 41-June 42
Steve,

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder, 10 months x 30 days x 10 turns a day. Work it out, and a good part of it in trenches during a siege. However, that is not to say certain parts could be done.

Regards,

Blackie:stir:
11-03-2009, 07:30 AM,
I suspect the problem here is in the title of the series, Panzer Campaigns. IIRC 11th Army has a PzD for the first couple of days of the campaign and then this was withdrawn and the whole campaign was strictly an infantry affair.

Also PzC does not handle city warfare too well, the game scale is too large for it to play well. So the capture of Sevastopol and maybe even the storming of the Perekop Isthmus may be hard to balance and keep interesting.

Saying that, Soviet landings on the Kerch Peninsula and Manstein's counter attacks would make good battles.
11-03-2009, 08:14 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-03-2009, 08:15 AM by Parabellum.)
The siege would be hard to replicate, but parts could be very interesting as stated above. GMT Games has a board game coming out in it's East Front Series covering this. Almost ready to print.

http://www.gmtgames.com/p-228-barbarossa-crimea.aspx

And this gun would be fun to shoot!
[Image: 2527_gustav_gun.jpg]

What about the 1942 drive into the Caucasus with Army Group A and von Kleist. Take it into Grozny, and perhaps have a MC mod ;)

[Image: MC_Caucasus_13_14.jpg]

[Image: b_2259_1.jpg]
11-03-2009, 03:30 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-03-2009, 03:31 PM by c00per.)
FLG Wrote:the whole campaign was strictly an infantry affair.

Hardly the Germans had 3 independent armour brigades & the 22 panzer division (though new). The soviets also 3-5 armour brigades pre reforming there tank Korps ( so there where large units). If you like do December 26th just as the pivotal point to storm sevastpool the roughly mid January when the germans stablized the front after the 1st soviet attack. Or you could do the second phaze with all out soviet assult Feb 27 till April 9th when the Germans counterattacked and won the campaign.
11-04-2009, 01:12 AM,
I see you took von Schwarze's advice.

von Schwarze Wrote:...However, that is not to say certain parts could be done.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
11-04-2009, 01:40 AM,
Well, PzC has Kreta hehehe, other thing is that a game covering all the Crimea is a little... psss. I like infantry battles but at least with movement, urban warfare isnt the best thing in PzC games :whis:

My list of "future" titles start with Tunez, Berlin (i think that title is more the end of the serie), Leningrad/Crimea.

PD: ummm something new this 5??? Big Grin