• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Differences betweem PW & GW
10-15-2009, 11:52 AM,
Differences betweem PW & GW
I bought PW first and have used its manual as my main reference in learning this game system. But in reviewing the GW manual I was surprised to discover a major difference in the sequence of movement listed under "Simultaneous Movement / Charging". In GW the sequence is:

1 MC
2 HC
3 MI
4 EHC
5 HI

etc, with LI and LC coming in at #10 and 11.

In the PW manual the sequence is

1 LC
2 LI et. seq. It's almost totally different right down the line.

Knowing the right sequence can be important in plotting a move.So my question is, has PW adopted the GW sequence in the course of the various PW updates? Frankly I haven't played enough to be sure, but it would be nice to know.

Tim
Quote this message in a reply
10-15-2009, 10:53 PM,
RE: Differences betweem PW & GW
The GW sequence is now the sequence used by all Ancient Warfare games. Knowing the sequence helps you understand which units move first and which units can reach a objective first.
10-15-2009, 11:06 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-16-2009, 01:09 AM by TJD.)
Leonadis Wrote:The GW sequence is now the sequence used by all Ancient Warfare games. Knowing the sequence helps you understand which units move first and which units can reach a objective first.

Yes, the sequence certainly is important and I hope the PW manual can be updated to reflect the change. Thanks for clarifying the point.

Is the GW manual always controlling in cases of disagreement with the PW manual? For example, PW says the rate of fatigue recovery is between 4 & 10 depending, whereas GW says it's between 0 & 12.

Thanks,

Tim

PS-- Correction: My error; I've been using an outdated printed copy of the manual. The PW documentation has been fully updated to reflect this changed sequence.
10-17-2009, 11:09 AM,
I am glad you spotted the updated manual, Tim. I was just about to ask you to check. The differences between these two games is small. There will be no difference in a unit's combat shooting, movement ability but Gallic Wars includes new units not present in Punic Wars such as Extra Heavy Cavalry and horse archers.
10-17-2009, 10:12 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-17-2009, 10:37 PM by TJD.)
Leonadis Wrote:I am glad you spotted the updated manual, Tim. I was just about to ask you to check. The differences between these two games is small. There will be no difference in a unit's combat shooting, movement ability but Gallic Wars includes new units not present in Punic Wars such as Extra Heavy Cavalry and horse archers.

I should add though that the document "How to Win", which includes the sequence of movement, does not appear to have been updated.

HPS makes available the updated documentation in 2 separate downloads, one in .pdf and the other in .doc format. I think what happened to me was that I downloaded only the .pdf and, down the road, decided to print the manual, and printed the .doc manual instead, which had not been updated. By that time I'd forgotten that I hadn't updated both. D'oh! :rolleyes:

Tim
10-18-2009, 09:51 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-18-2009, 10:02 PM by Titus.)
Good point, Tim - we will make sure the 'How to Win' document is updated on the next patch.
Please note the 'How to Win' with Alexandrian Wars is upto date.