• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Exit through map edges
10-11-2009, 04:00 AM,
Exit through map edges
Hi,

I was wondering if there is a difference (in term of effect on morale, casualty points or any other one) between exiting a unit to a Friendly, Neutral or Enemy map edge. Of course in the case the edge is not an "exit" edge.
Could anybody give a bit of hint?

Thank you!

Polo
Quote this message in a reply
10-11-2009, 04:03 AM,
RE: Exit through map edges
I believe troops must exit a friendly map edge or they count as enemy casualty points, not too sure though. Even if you exit troops of a friendly map edge it does take your morale % down, whether this reduction is the same or different to them being killed i don't know.
10-14-2009, 07:39 AM,
I got curious about this and decided to test it. I made a small scenario in the editor with three T34s and a German pillbox. The pillbox was put in the center of woods with no LOS so as not to influence the outcome. The scenario was 2 turns long. I ran it four times.

[Image: mapedge.jpg]

The first time I did nothing with the T-34s - German total victory because the pillbox got 300 points for holding the flag.

Next I drove a T-34 off of the friendly edge. Result: same.
Next game a drove a T-34 off of the neutral edge. Result: same.
Next game drove a T-34 off of the enemy edge. Result: same.

Conclusion: It makes no difference whatsoever what edge you exit your units off of. The score will be the same. Edges seem to only be important as far as which direction the men will run to when routing.
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift
10-14-2009, 10:47 AM,
I thought as much, but was not sure. Glad you tested it for us. Thanks.[/b]
10-14-2009, 07:22 PM,
Hmmm i was sure it said in the manual you had to exit them off a friendly map edge, that was the CMAK manual however and that is CMBB, will check the game manual when i return home to report.

Also I believe if you exit troops off the map before surrendering those exited troops do not count for prisoner points.
10-14-2009, 11:33 PM,
Right - anything you exit off map does not count as points. So if you have, say, a few trucks in danger of being shot up, it would be better to get them off the map than to give your opponent points for knocking them out. Sometimes I will do that with my trucks after I am done delivering units - why risk having them sit around on the battlefield?
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift
10-15-2009, 01:40 AM,
Your tests corroborate my tests in CMAK.

There is still one good reason not to exit units from the map: morale, is diminishing. Which is worst is that it does not change anything regarding morale that it is an enemy edge or an allied one...
The only case the morale effect is not taken into account seems for exit units.

Polo