• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Scenario Editor question....
10-01-2009, 11:36 PM,
Scenario Editor question....
I'm having a little trouble with the scenario editor in Punic Wars. I'm trying to assign units to various groups and I can't get the group number assignments to hold. I use the "Group" button to establish a group or I go to Settings, Change Description and make the group assignment changes there, and it all looks fine, but I go back to double check and find the changes have all been lost and some or all of the units and leaders have mysteriously reverted to a different or 0 designation. This happens even when I save frequently. Even when it all seems fine at the end and I make a final save and then try to play the scenario I wind up with units that have no commander, and commanders that have no units. Note that I'm not designing anything large here where it might be easy for me to get confused; I'm just working with a few units at this stage.

Is the Scenario Editor in Gallic Wars more reliable in this regard? The interface looks different, but I don't know what substantive differences there may be.

Insight, anyone?

Thanks,

Tim
Quote this message in a reply
10-02-2009, 05:16 AM,
RE: Scenario Editor question....
Hi.

First Click the "Group Button ( Create new group )", then choose the units you wanna assign to this group, they´ll be highlighted by left clicking on them.
Finally click again on the "Group Button". Now your new group will be saved !

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Klaus
Sic transit Gloria Mundi !
10-02-2009, 05:27 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-02-2009, 05:28 AM by TJD.)
Jolly Roger Wrote:Hi.

First Click the "Group Button ( Create new group )", then choose the units you wanna assign to this group, they´ll be highlighted by left clicking on them.
Finally click again on the "Group Button". Now your new group will be saved !

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Klaus

Hi Klaus:

Thanks for the response but I guess my post wasn't clear. I've done what you suggest. And everything seems fine. But the group definitions and number assigned to groups don't hold once you leave the scenario editor. In a simple scenario, I wanted to create two Roman groups, each with its own commander. I created the groups in the way you suggest. But when I go to play the scenario, either both groups have reverted to "0" -- meaning the whole force is npw just one big group, or some units are not assigned at all and have no command control.

I've tried this several times and can't get it to work right no matter how I go about it. I'm baffled. I'll figure it out eventually, I hope. :mad:

Best,

Tim
10-02-2009, 07:04 AM,
c_Question Mark  RE: Scenario Editor question....
Hi.

I´ve created several scenarios with this editor.
Are you sure you´ve updated to the most recent version ?

Cheers, Klaus
10-02-2009, 01:22 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-02-2009, 01:29 PM by TJD.)

I´ve created several scenarios with this editor.
Are you sure you´ve updated to the most recent version ?

Cheers, Klaus

I downloaded the 1.05 update as soon as I got the game. But I was concerned that, after installing the updates, the game still said it was at 1.04, so I wrote to HPS, and they said it was a programmer's error -- they hadn't updated the "About Punic Wars" to reflect the change to 1.05. But it's definitely 1.05 -- the .exe files show a date of July this year.

Funny, I ran the scenario editor in Gallic Wars this evening and had no problem creating these simple scenarios at all. Works fine. I don't why I have a problem with Punic Wars.

But: I did buy a "used" copy of Punic Wars. That shouldn't make any difference, right? It does seem very buggy in other respects too -- see my previous posts. But the updates should have overwritten any problems, I'd think. :conf:

I may have to post the question to HPS or to the Ancient Wars board.

Thanks, Klaus.

Tim
10-02-2009, 11:01 PM,
Hi.

Please wait until I´ve checked it out. I´ll report to Paul directly in case I find the same problem.

Cheers, Klaus
10-03-2009, 12:09 AM,

Please wait until I´ve checked it out. I´ll report to Paul directly in case I find the same problem.

Cheers, Klaus

Will do, Klaus. Thanks much for taking the time to check this out.

Best,

Tim
10-03-2009, 01:01 AM,
Hi Tim.

Try scenario setup as follows:

Choose menu "Army", left click "nations in scenario", choose Carthage,
Rome will always be choosen by default --> make sure your purchasing for Roman Army --> place 4 units of medium infantry + one leader --> now choose NO UNIT !!!!! --> choose "highlight organisation" --> now left mouse click " form group" --> left mouse click on all units until they are all highlighted --> again click on "form group" --> same prcedure for a Carthaginian group --> should be fine now.

Regards, Klaus
10-03-2009, 01:24 AM,
Jolly Roger Wrote:Hi Tim.

Try scenario setup as follows:

Well, this is interesting. I opened the Scenario Editor and it refused to open the scenario file. It had never done that before. I tried to get it to open a map file, no luck, ditto an oob file. So I closed the program and got a warning --

Debug Error! Damage after Normal Block (#1601) at 0x00EAF830

I haven't a clue what to do now. I went into Gallic Wars and the scenario editor there seems to be running fine.

Thoughts? Should I just go ahead and report this to HPS?

Thanks, Klaus.

Best, Tim
10-03-2009, 01:36 AM,
Hi Tim.

Please check:
where your settings for weather, scenario length etc.. ok before you saved the scenario ?
Have you saved the troop file before saving the new sceanrio ?

Cheers, Klaus