• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Map Building
09-21-2009, 05:26 PM,
Map Building
I am trying to build a BIG map of the Western Desert theatre...... from E of Halfaya Pass to W of Tobruk. This will involve dimensions of about 700 wide, 450 deep. I am working from a map I have done Halfaya-Sidi Omar-Bardia and trying to expand it. I have achieved a width of 500, but when I try the magic 600, I get the big error signal of encountering a problem and needs to close. Several repeats have achieved the same result. Is 600 just too big?

Any thoughts?
Quote this message in a reply
09-21-2009, 06:46 PM,
RE: Map Building
K K Rossokolski Wrote:I am trying to build a BIG map of the Western Desert theatre...... from E of Halfaya Pass to W of Tobruk. This will involve dimensions of about 700 wide, 450 deep. I am working from a map I have done Halfaya-Sidi Omar-Bardia and trying to expand it. I have achieved a width of 500, but when I try the magic 600, I get the big error signal of encountering a problem and needs to close. Several repeats have achieved the same result. Is 600 just too big?

Any thoughts?

501 is too wide.. but I havent found a limit on height so far.

Jason Petho
Send this user an email
09-22-2009, 07:12 AM,
Thanks JP. I tried that and I could do a whole Western Desert but with E or W at the top
I guess I am effectively hard wired to N at the top, so my next question......is it possible to take an existing map and rotate it 90 deg? I imagine the hexagonal basis would not allow this, but I ask the question anyway.

And for the skeptics, yes, I put my laptop on its side, but it makes the keyboard very tricky to use!
09-22-2009, 07:22 AM,
K K Rossokolski Wrote:is it possible to take an existing map and rotate it 90 deg? I imagine the hexagonal basis would not allow this, but I ask the question anyway.

Unfortunately, no. You'll have to start from scratch.

I'm trying to get the limitations removed in a future UPDATE. With todays machines, limitations shouldn't be necessary.

Jason Petho
Send this user an email
09-22-2009, 08:33 AM,
Thanks mate. On the map subject.....have you thought any more on your hope for a steeper and higher altitude profile, given that CS doesn't do mountains well at all. You may recall an e-discussion on this we had a goodwhile back.
09-22-2009, 08:37 AM,
Huh?The map editor let me build a 600 by 600 map just now, I don't think 500 is the limit....
09-22-2009, 09:10 AM,
Did you do anything unusua?l...on the computer, I mean.
09-22-2009, 10:28 AM,
Ah, no.I just started up the map editor.Nothing else running.
09-22-2009, 02:19 PM,
Panzer VI Wrote:Ah, no.I just started up the map editor.Nothing else running.

Can you save it and post it, and note your system specs?

Thanks.

Jason Petho
Send this user an email
09-22-2009, 04:05 PM,
Hi Guys,
I just quickly set-up a 600x600 map too.
Used the map editor from the main menu screen.
I have a Sony Vaio laptop,
Vista
Intel® Pentium Dual CPU T2390 @ 1.86 GHz 1.87 GHz
Memory (RAM) 2.00GB
32 bit operating system.
Hope that helps Jason,
I have to dash now, if you want, I'll make the map again, save it and e-mail it to you.
I could also send a copy to you Rod, you could see if it opens in your game to work on it, let me know.
regards
Peter