• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

MAIN EVENT VI! Red Devil vs. [hirr]Leto
09-24-2009, 02:04 AM,
RE: MAIN EVENT VI!
Now this will be a real cracker of a battle! :boom3:
Both players know how to use their units and are vets at this game.
Excellent choice of players DK :bow:
I look forward to this exciting and very bloody battle! cheers
Quote this message in a reply
09-24-2009, 04:58 AM,
Red Devil's Purchase screens...
We can now see Randy's British purchase screens. In this first shot everything down to the Antitank mines was imported onto the map and is the holding force he has in the small town to the West. The rest of the purchases are his. The experience of each of the units has been reproduced accurately except in the two vet infantry companies - experience may vary a little there.

[Image: scr1.jpg]

On the second screen most of his armor purchases show up:

[Image: scr2.jpg]

and the final screen:

[Image: scr3.jpg]

We see first he only goes with three Grants. Well, at 24mph they are pretty slow and this will likely be a fluid battle, so his pick of Stuart IIs as the backbone of his force may pay off with their extra quickness (36mph). The 37mm guns on the Stuarts can pierce 73mm of armor at 500m, but will they pack enough punch to get quick kills? Nothing more frustrating than getting penetrations without results. RD rounds out his armor purchases with three Crusaders with 40mm guns. (27mph)

CONCERN: He only has 2 vet tanks in the whole bunch.

BIG MISTAKE: Randy didn't check out the setup zones thoroughly - he has bought three guns but has no trucks to tow them! He says "i sadly did just realize that my trucks are on the wrong side of the map...... LOL" Oh well - they can still be useful protecting his backside from that southern pass.

INTERESTING NOTE: All of RD's tanks are rated to carry a "team" only, so that leaves all or most of his engineer companies on foot - slow going! But if he can get some of them into that Oasis with those demo charges they will be tough.
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift
09-24-2009, 10:58 AM,
To me, RD's force composition indicates that he is thinking this battle along an interesting concept. I don't think he will go for the Oasis. I think he wants to let the Germans run the gauntlet on the Left Axis up to the Oasis. By so doing, the Germans will be positionnally dislocated. RD's most probable subsequent course of action is to conduct a flanking manoeuvre with a view of seizing the flag in the German setup area as well as retaking the village on the Left against a potentially weak rearguard. Pretty much like a ''revolving door battle''. Concurrently, I think he will do an attack on the Right Flank Village to seize it and to block any German counter attack. This should give RD 2 Large and 2 small flags. In the final stage of the battle, RD should be in a good position to strike at either one of the remaining small flags (located near the Oasis) to gain the ''Flag Advantage''.

Of course, this short evaluation does not take into account losses and attrition. On that score, only the German purchases will tell.
09-24-2009, 11:00 AM,
Another thing. I think RD's lack of artillery might play against him. Without Artillery support, he is like a three-legged dog.
09-24-2009, 12:51 PM,
Excellent evaluation VK - that is actually a really nice battle plan whether Red Devil is thinking of it or not....
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift
09-24-2009, 12:54 PM,
I'm worried there's not quite enough tanks. I think he'll find he has more than enough grunts, but not tanks. I'm interested to see what he does with all these troops. I wouldve had one less infantry company and at least another platoon of Grants.

I like the troop of Stuarts, they will cause all kinds of mayhem. I disagree about the artillery...but he is thin on heavy guns...another platoon or two of Grants wouldve done the trick I think...
09-24-2009, 02:02 PM,
I'm not a big fan of Stuarts, it takes several penetrations to knock out Panzers with the 37mm. Meanwhile a single hit from a 50L or a 75 and the Stuart goes down. Very little HE blast either. I would have taken more Grants. On the other hand, I never would have agreed to play RD or Lito with the whole club watching.....
"A bad plan is still better than no plan at all." -- Mikhail Tal

[Image: pzV.jpg]
09-24-2009, 11:46 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-25-2009, 07:06 AM by Der Kuenstler.)
Yes in CMBB I get frustrated with the PZ IIIM and it's 50mm L/60 gun - seems like you have to pierce the T34s three times before they die and by that time they've got you. I can only imagine it would be worse with 37mm guns.

Here's some classic Leto while we wait for his purchases:

"I’m actually pretty scared of those Brit tanks. Hopefully I can find some successful tactics to use against them and not get totally whooped in the process.

Good luck Randy… I hope my panzermen make great targets for your “leased” yank armour…Deutschland Deutschland, Uber Alles! Kick those Tommies In Da Balles!"

[Image: world_war_2_tanks_advance_of_the_pa.jpg]

I have also attached the map for anyone who wants to inspect it further or use it....

Attached Files
.zip   MainEventVI.zip (Size: 16.48 KB / Downloads: 14)
09-26-2009, 07:08 PM,
What a great idea! I'll be definitely following this one. Thanks for the work DK.
09-27-2009, 12:02 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-27-2009, 12:03 AM by Mad Russian.)
I agree. Great idea!

The fences can always use mending.

I was never fortunate enough to play RD in CM but I've heard alot about his gaming prowess. Someday maybe I'll be fortunate enough to play RD myself. I'll be watching with interest.

Leto has of course trounced me and left me in the mud puddle when he was through.....

Good Hunting.

MR