• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Poll: pick one of 1 and 2, and one of 3 and 4
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes run it
44.00%
11 44.00%
No, scrap it
12.00%
3 12.00%
award points
4.00%
1 4.00%
award a medal
40.00%
10 40.00%
Total 25 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Ladder competition
09-16-2009, 04:24 AM,
RE: Ladder competition
Weasel Wrote:ELO won't change and the ELO isn't 100% accurate either (ie if you delete a game result the ELO does not revert).

Although this was true at one time, it has been remedied, and I can not recalculate all of the ELO tables any time someone feels it's necessary (I do it as routine maintenance about once a month to account for duplicate entries/deletions of games).

However that really doesn't make it a good tool for a yearly ladder, as you would not be starting the year at 2000 as yo normally would, you start with an ELO equal to whatever it was on that date.

Paul
Quote this message in a reply
09-16-2009, 05:38 AM,
Thanks Paul, I didin't know Raz(?) fixed it. Sweet!
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
09-16-2009, 05:44 AM,
Weasel Wrote:Thanks Paul, I didin't know Raz(?) fixed it. Sweet!

Actually, although Raz is usually the Doctor when our old lady is ill, in this case it was not he. I contacted the original creator of the ELO script and he showed me how it was done. When I asked Raz he had never seen the pages either, despite them being on our server for years. Amazing how stuff can be hidden in plain sight.
09-16-2009, 09:09 AM,
How about quarterly ( IIRC Leadeaters used to do that with quarterly winners and yearly winners) based on gains and loses in ELO? That would basicly show who is hot and who is not. It would use the ELO as a metric, which is the theory behind the ELO, at least in Chess. It would also keep players from playing a lot of platoon battles of 10 turns to inflate their stats. Would the ladder types do that here? I have seen ladders where they would.
Any system can be gamed, the only defense is to make it not worth the effort. I think that is Leadeaters went to the Quarterly system. It spread the wealth around and put the players gaming the system under pressure.
09-16-2009, 10:33 AM,
It looks like all of this is a moot point now. I just found out that once the new server comes online (it is almost ready to go but the date scheduled is Jan 1, 2010) the ladders will automatically be yearly, so each year on 1 Jan the ladder will reset everyone to 0.

HOWEVER: there will still be an overall ladder that will show where you stand from the date you joined.
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
09-20-2009, 12:09 AM,
MAybe we could score the year by the highest batting average? I know that my current average is a little skewed because I have a number of games where I agreed to score a draw for my side no matter the outcome as a means to help a newer player along..

Greybeard
09-20-2009, 07:08 AM,
Weasel Wrote:It looks like all of this is a moot point now. I just found out that once the new server comes online (it is almost ready to go but the date scheduled is Jan 1, 2010) the ladders will automatically be yearly, so each year on 1 Jan the ladder will reset everyone to 0.

HOWEVER: there will still be an overall ladder that will show where you stand from the date you joined.

This is disapointing. You would expect a "new server" to be able to handle more data, not less.

I only play SP at The Blitz so never bother with the 'overall ladder'. And as I only manage to log about a dozen games a year, I doubt I'll amount to much. Perhaps by the end of the year. Just in time for reset Big Grin

There again, a fresh start is usually good. I can finally wipe clean that time I lost to you Weasel, playing SPWaW. I don't think I've played that version since. :rolleyes:
09-20-2009, 03:13 PM,
I agree, it's a huge step backwards if the ladders reset annually.
Vesku

[Image: Medals50_thumb8.gif]
09-20-2009, 09:33 PM,
That is why I trotted out the percentage of change in the ELO. That would give everyone the same chance regardless of their standing last year. Since the original ladder would still be there ( I think, that is the way I read what weasel wrote) there would actually be co-champions, sorta.
Nobody else likes my pony? Does it not trot spritely? Is it not pretty? Wrong color ribbon?
09-21-2009, 05:42 AM,
Guys, the OVERALL LADDER is the one you currently see when you look at the SP ladder, not the BLITZ CLUB overall ladder. You will have an SP X-TO DATE ladder and an SP Jan1-31 Dec ladder.

As for me taking the time to mess around with the way players deem who is #1, no. Whomever is at the top is #1.

ELO: You cannot sort by this as this is not 100% accurate. For example I only play very top players 90% of the time, so my ELO won't move much. Also, I mentor new players, so when I record a mentor-draw against a boot my ELO drops like a rock. So not fair for those of us who teach is it.

AVERAGE: First requires me sitting there crunching numbers...not going to happen. Also will be skewed as those who play few games against weaker players can have a much higher average then say one who plays 80 games per year against tough players. I think the guy who plays a ton and has a lower average against tough players is a much better player then a guy who plays 5 games against weak players.

So since this is becoming a monster perhaps we should just put it to bed.

As far as I am concerned, the guy at the top of the ladder is #1...simple. If he plays 500 games in a year and only wins 10%, so be it. I guess if you want to be #1 you will have to play 501 and win at least 10%.

The PATHFINDER medal is still only awarded to the #1 guy on the overall SP ladder. I may do up another medal for those who are top for the yearly ladder, but if so you will only be awarded it once no matter how many times you are top.