• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Are these facts true??????
09-22-2009, 08:32 AM,
RE: Are these facts true??????
The highest ranking,American officer killed during WWII was GEN Simon B. Buckner Jr. GEN Buckner was posthumously promoted to GENERAL by special act of Congress on July 19, 1954.

Then Lieutenant General Buckner was instantly killed on June 18, 1944 by shrapnel from a Japanese 47mm artillery shell while commanding the U,S. TENTH ARMY during the Battle for Okinawa,

The other TWO U.S. Lieutenant Generals killed during WWII were not killed by enemy action. LTG Leslie J. McNair was killed in France on July 25th, 1944 by friendly fire. LTG Frank M. Andrews was killed on May 3,1943 in an air crash in Iceland.
"Artillerymen believe the world consists of two kinds of people: other artillerymen and targets."
Quote this message in a reply
10-13-2009, 01:07 AM,
Xandor Wrote:And yet another one:

6) Partial true.
It's true that tracer bullet has different aerodinamics, weight and penetration ability (tracer won't penetrate even regular helmet from 200m) but not that much to make 80% missing during shooting. During WWII average distance of air conbat was 200-400 meters (often closer but rare farther) so ballictics difference doesn't afeect much in this distances. So 20% accuracy was not the result of tracer ballistic but the result of WWII air combat's nature itself. It's quite hard to hit anything moving at 400 km/h 200 meters from you while you're moving at 400 km/h yourself.

I've never heard about the different ballistics, but I've read (in Fork-tailed Devils by Martin Caidin, an excellent book) that once a P-38 squadron in the Pacific stopped using tracers, their success rate shot up because they were often able to get a second shot off if the first one missed. The Japanese pilots were unaware because there was no tracer flying past them.

I'm a hussar, I'm a Hun,  I'm a wretched Englishman
Routing Bonaparte at Waterloo
I'm a dragoon on a dun, I'm a Cossack on the run
I'm a horse soldier, timeless, through and through

Corb Lund - Horse Soldier, Horse Soldier

10-17-2009, 02:10 AM,
I know that German nightfighter pilots didn't use tracer rounds because the tracers would give their position away. In many cases they would install flash suppressors on their guns to prevent pilots being temporarily blinded by the muzzle flash.
.."A critical oversight that has led to yet another mouthful of poo." . Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe